Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best kits for 68 'Stang and 67 GTO?

Only one manufacturer has, or has recently, made each in kit form.

AMT and MPC made '68 Mustang fastbacks in '67-'68, the AMT being the better of the two.  Revell has made one more recently, it is the most readily available one.  

Only MPC has made a '67 GTO.  The tooling was modified extensively after the original annual kits were run, and restored in the early Eighties.  Reissue kits aren't as crisp as the annuals, to say it mildly.  Annuals being tough to find and expensive when you do, the earlier a reissue you can find, the better.

• Like 1

The Revell '68 Mustang is not that bad a kit, and builds up into a nice shelf model. It was originally tooled as a metal body kit, so is a bit simplified, but still a decent model.

However, if you could do a '66 GTO instead of a '67, then do yourself a huge favour and go for the Revell '66.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Thanks guys.....Brian, the 68 Mustang does have to be a 68, I'm afraid.... has anyone had success with, say, taking the 68 body and kitbashing it with the 67 'stang to achieve a 68 with better details?

The new 67 Mustang guts fit in the old 68 Shelby Mustang body. You'll need to cut the inner fenders off the 67 body and add that little flange area where that inner fenders attach to the outer fenders back. You'll just have to track down a 68 annual body. Or take a look at the Revell 68 Mustang kit, it's a big block car.

4 hours ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

..but to be fair, it didn't really say on the box top :D

True, and no worries. Not sure what you are building, but there are several versions of the Revell '68 out there. Some only have the parts to build the Bullit car, and some have stock CJ/GT parts as well. They are all big blocks. The version you have pictured can built to resemble a 390 GT or a 428 CJ.

18 hours ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Doing "Lucifer" from the Dukes.  Gonna need some guidance on the wheels it seems, wonder where I can score those types?

qL6jzz5.jpg

Those wheels are tough because most kits that have them are trucks with six or 8 lugs. There is a set of the 5 lug variety in the Revell CJ-7 but they're 1/24 scale. The best ones I know of in 1/25 scale are from the Monogram race team van and trailer kit.

There's an unplaited set in the AMT Ford Phantom and surfer vans. 

Also a plated set in the "Firestones" Ford pickup but IIRC, there's no lug nuts on those ones. The '78 Bronco that was just released has a very similar set but with the Ford factory style centers on them.

Lovely work, looks great!  You definitely tackled that one very nicely. 👍👍

Maybe the question I should ask is, since the target build appears to have had the grill removed and the headlights blanked over, would I be better off using a '67?  Are there any other details I should take into account that would need changing?

xOCyVpG.jpg

1 hour ago, bbowser said:

This.  The MPC '67 GTO is junk IMO.  Grill doesn't fit, engine is a blob.

Ok, then from the pic just posted before your post, along with the profile view I posted on Friday, could I achieve that using the '66?  Since the grill and headlights won't be used?

On 9/2/2022 at 10:06 PM, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Doing "Lucifer" from the Dukes.  Gonna need some guidance on the wheels it seems, wonder where I can score those types?

Common NASCAR kit wheel, paint with Molotow or similar.

nascar_wheels.JPG

It looks like they put the Shelby scoops on the quarters & c pillars.  I think you could get away with using the AMT 67, using the 68 Shelby scoops.  The simulated intakes/scoops on the 67 are separate pieces if I recall correctly so it should, in theory, be a fairly easy swap.  Fab up some side marker lights and a strip of Evergreen for the rocker panel trim (unless those are side pipes, kind of hard to tell, don't think they are?)  and you'd be in pretty good shape.  I'm not sure off-hand how much of a difference there is between the 67 and 68 interiors other than the steering wheel, if that factors in.  The AMT 67 is quite a bit better overall than the Revell 68, but as Trevor mentioned it's not a terrible kit and assembles well.  The Revell kit would save a little bit of work since it's got the rocker panel trim and the side marker lights.  

2 hours ago, bbowser said:

This.  The MPC '67 GTO is junk IMO.  Grill doesn't fit, engine is a blob.

I wouldn't exactly call it "junk", it just requires more patience than modern 'shake the box and out falls a model" kits. I recently built one (posted in "Under Glass") and listed some of the nuances that need to be addressed. If you want a '67 GTO, the MPC kit is the only game in town. If you're flexible on the year, go with the '66. 

The Revell '68 Mustang has a reasonably accurate chassis and engine compartment. The pics being shown of the conversion are using an AMT 1968 Shelby GT500, which is based off the '68 Mustang annual, with an AMT/ERTL '67 Mustang engine compartment and chassis.

If you do go with the Revell kit, try to find the newest issue you can find. Some of the original kits came with 1967 Mustang interior pieces, and it is hard to tell by looking at the box art. 

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse!

What about this (below), the AMT 68 Shelby? Could I build the intended vehicle (second pic below) with that, or would the Revell 68 still be the best body to use?

Apologies if this is a naive question....

ENUQkFN.jpg

qL6jzz5.jpg

Edited by Andrew D the Jolly Roger