Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Plymouth Station Wagon: Mighty Mopars Update

BobbyG

Did some work on the 62 Johan Plymouth that I converted to a station wagon using the roof from a 60 Plymouth wagon. The body is getting closer to being done while I added molding and trim as well as shaping the 62 Plymouth rear bumper as close as I can get to the wagon version. I am using the Revell 67 Charger chassis and floor pan becuase the rear part  of the chassis is close to a Mopar station wagon. The seats are modified from a Johan 63 Plymouth but cut up and detailed with piping to mimmic the 62 seat pattern. The rear interior quarter wheel houses were from the Plymouth wagon and modified and trimmed out. Still a lot more work needs to be done but progress has been made over the last week. Headlights have buckets for clear lens. I made the taillights using the 62 Ply bezel cut into a ring and carved the lens from clear red sprue. I look forward to your comments.

IMG_0537.JPG

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg

thumbnail (11).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

14794386-1962-plymouth-savoy-std.jpg

14794320-1962-plymouth-savoy-std.jpg

14794339-1962-plymouth-savoy-std.jpg

14794341-1962-plymouth-savoy-std.jpg

14794386-1962-plymouth-savoy-std.jpg

• Like 4

This is so cool!  I've never been able to to decide if I find these Mopars ugly or beautiful. I'm gonna go with "handsome". Definitely worthy of an in-depth build, either way!  Looks like you're on the home stretch as far as capturing the character of the 1:1 car; the carefully reworked trim around the windows should pay off nicely in the end.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, espo said:

Great looking body fabrication, ever consider casting this ? 

I am hopeful that this comes out good enough for a resin kit. With that I am trying to make th fit as close to a kit as possible so we'll see. Thanks!

Making progress on the interior and trim patterns. The gauge panel has the push botton details (ugh, what a nightmare!). Made the tail gate and primed parts. Coming closer to priming the body and making sure to clean up any imperfections. Thanks for your comments.

thumbnail (12).jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail (14).jpg

thumbnail (15).jpg

thumbnail (17).jpg

thumbnail (18).jpg

1962_plymouth_savoy_4_door_station_wagon_a7d0f9b913.jpg

14794312-1962-plymouth-savoy-std.jpg

14794333-1962-plymouth-savoy-std.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on the details of the body, interior and fitting. The interior floor is made from the Revell 67 Charger with scratch made rear quarters, tailgate and floor. Door panels are made of sheet plastic, scribed and ribbed door sections to emulate the 1:1. I've been playing with the scratch built gauge panel and getting it close to what I want it to be. Next is to work on the speaker grille (I'm going to see if there is anyone with 3D printer who wants to make one up). The body has all the trim pieces and polished  along with the interior headliner ribs.

Once I think the body is ready, I'll shoot a coat of primer so I can see any imperfections to correct. Thanks guys!

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg

thumbnail (11).jpg

thumbnail (12).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (8).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

Edited by BobbyG
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jjsipes said:

I'm loving this. Alot of people do not like the early 60's Mopars but I love them. Wish someone would come out with more kits of them like Jo-han did decades ago.

I agree Jason. Johan's forte was the effort they put into their bodies and with all the new kits available, it makes it possible to bash for more a detailed model. I have a binful of Fireball's pieces as well that helps. Cheers.

Edited by BobbyG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made all the appropriate trim on the body, all fit issues are corrected and working on getting the chassis details close to the prototype. I have the general shape for the tire compartment and will continue to shape and add details next. The inside fender mounted gas tank is next. The only question in mind is should I attempt to scribe the groves on the roof for total accuracy or just leave it alone and not risk destroying all my hard work. 

20230208_135613.jpg

20230208_135604.jpg

20230208_135405.jpg

20230208_135343.jpg

20230208_135339.jpg

1138703-26-large.jpg

52484306_5032155272026_Original.jpg

52484306_5032155284373_Original.jpg

Edited by BobbyG
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Made all the appropriate trim on the body, all fit issues are corrected and working on getting the chassis details close to the prototype. I have the general shape for the tire compartment and will continue to shape and add details next. The inside fender mounted gas tank is next. The only question in mind is should I attempt to scribe the groves on the roof for total accuracy or just leave it alone and not risk destroying all my hard work. 

52484306_5032155272026_Original.jpg

Those grooves are a bit too obvious to leave out. I would cut some Dyno tape as spacers to run a scriber down and go to town.

4 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Those grooves are a bit too obvious to leave out. I would cut some Dyno tape as spacers to run a scriber down and go to town.

4 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Actually, I have been thinking about using this template inorder to make the lines consistent. I found this on Hobbiest Heaven and it may work. It would be worth the $18 bucks if it works.

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Actually, I have been thinking about using this template inorder to make the lines consistent. I found this on Hobbiest Heaven and it may work. It would be worth the $18 bucks if it works.

thumbnail.jpg

For sure! Nice even spacing. As long as it is well secured so it can't wiggle on you it would do the trick nicely. Be handy to have for many things actually. 

• Like 1