Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting bare metal foil

GLMFAA1

I tried it once with mediocre results. I wanted all the chrome to be “smoked”. I sprayed a small section of foil in smoke, then applied VERY carefully, still there was cracking etc.  I was happy enough with the result, as this is just a curb side, but likely won’t try again.

C8749D7D-5CF4-40AE-A93A-02209EC5CA9E.thumb.jpeg.90983059d686203775e27bbcd03ba63b.jpeg

003FE82A-1B41-435F-BBC2-A85FAFB990B4.thumb.jpeg.c486c4a5d17129f7b3bc47a705d5730b.jpeg

4ED47080-1344-4B29-ABD9-85D4FEFFD023.thumb.jpeg.1a0dda53e2c1331c4468d1ddc9241a5c.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

Do the colors hold up to burnishing?

Not very well.

You definitely do not want to polish it once it's applied.

The Gold is just a coating over regular BMF and will polish off very easily.

I would imagine that the copper would be the same, though I have not tried it.

Steve

• 10 months later...

I wouldn't try painting foil and then applying it -- it's frustrating enough without complications!  However, to simulate the original 'metallic' look of early 'sixties Pontiac 'Morrokide" (vinyl) upholstery, I first use chrome or aluminum BMF on the seat-cover facings, then do a layer of translucent or 'candy' color, usually brushed.  Most PMD cars had at least three-toned seats, so this gives two -- over primer or white, then over BMF.  Catches the eye.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...