Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT [MPC] '29 Woodie

Can-Con

The latest reissue of the MPC '29 Woodie. Never had one before. some surprising quirks to this kit like the separate framework for the body structure.

Can't say I care for how the suspension goes together and it would have been nice to have a dropped front axel but I'm gonna try to use what's in the kit to keep things simpler.

One thing I did do was cut the cowl away from the woodwork of the body to make painting easier.

2v2eKEWZ5x2A694.jpg

When I mock up the body, hood and rad shell, it seems the rad is too far forward but it's sitting in slots so it should be right. 

I'm gonna see if I can get it back farther as it looks like the headlight bar will hit the rad if I leave it where it is now.

IMG 3557

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

It is a bit finicky but builds up nicely!

1 hour ago, milo1303s said:

The gap between the the hood and cowl does the cowl lights chrome bar fill it ?

just a thought !! looks great !!!

That looks great Johnny but it's not the same kit I'm working on. Yours is the Revell '31, I think?

My kit doesn't have that feature. The hood is supposed to fit tight against the cowl. 

I do have it fixed now. I filed some material from the bottom back of the rad shell where it goes into the notches and added some shims to the front of the notches so it's tight. Everything fits pretty good now but I should have checked it before I painted the fender unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, a little update. 

Got all the body parts to line up properly. 

Also found another dropped front axel and modded the rear spring assembly to drop it down to a reasonable ride height.

Wheels are some old "D" spoke TTs from the AMT '55 Nomad that I've had kicking around for years. a couple already had the rims cut off so I cut the others off too and added rims cut from a set of smoothies from the AMT '29 Ford roadster. The rears were cut the full width of the rim and the fronts are cut a bit thinner for a nice "big 'n littles" look.

IMG 3558

IMG 3560

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

Some pics of the Woodie with the body panels installed.

I sprayed several coats of brown and tan , alternating colors between coats and carefully wet sanded after it was completely dry to reveal the molded in grain detail.

2v2e1irSdx2A694.jpg

2v2e1irVyx2A694.jpg

2v2e1irh5x2A694.jpg

2v2e1irCNx2A694.jpg

I also assembled the simple flathead engine. It does have a 2-peice distributor but it's not mentioned in the instructions at all. It'll get more detail work and plug wires before installation.

2v2e1irL4x2A694.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Looking good Steve, that yellow just POPS!

And great idea on severing the cowl from the body. I had that same thought too when I get around to building one of these. Curious what method you used to separate them without losing much material?

Just the good old method of the back of an X-acto blade. Only took a few minutes.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:42 PM, espo said:

Like the look of the wheels you did. The body color looks as if it may be a Pearl Yellow? The way the "wood" is done on this kit looks like it would be easier to paint and detail. 

Yup, Tamiya pearl yellow spray decanted and lightened with a little pearl white and some green added for more of a lemon yellow shade then it is in the can.

2 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Looks great in pearl yellow and nice work on the wood grain! The wood is a challenge I’m gonna have to deal with on my own ‘29 Woody. 

Thanks Dennis. I can't recommended higher the separation of the cowl from the wood bodywork. Much easier then masking them both off.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Engine's done and installed. First time I wired a flathead.

In fact, it's almost finished. Just final assembly and some details left to do.

Ait cleaners are from the Revell Motion Performance '67 Camaro and the gauges are from a photoetch set I got years ago.

IMG 3570

IMG 3572

IMG 3573

• Like 1