Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell '32 Ford 5-window coupe

Those 40% off coupons sure do help and yes I check out the paper for them. Michaels used to have some of those Sunday ads in the store on Monday morning but they stopped doing that here. Revell kits are the store offerings but with the new kits coming out, and the use of the coupon, it works out nice. I usually purchase my AMT(Round 2) kits from Tower Hobbies whenever I order R/C items. Pricing is much better than at the LHS for those kits and other brand kits as well. For example: Just bought the Czeck Model Bamboo Bomber (Sky King Songbird) and saved $15 over the LHS price...plus I had free shipping and no 6% sales tax. A real good deal!

Joe

Edited by rhoadapple

Those 40% off coupons sure do help and yes I check out the paper for them. Michaels used to have some of those Sunday ads in the store on Monday morning but they stopped doing that here. Revell kits are the store offerings but with the new kits coming out, and the use of the coupon, it works out nice. I usually purchase my AMT(Round 2) kits from Tower Hobbies whenever I order R/C items. Pricing is much better than at the LHS for those kits and other brand kits as well. For example: Just bought the Czeck Model Bamboo Bomber (Sky King Songbird) and saved $15 over the LHS price...plus I had free shipping and no 6% sales tax. A real good deal!

Joe

I will have to check Tower Hobbies out for sure and see what they have. Any way of saving some money is this hobby is good isn't it :lol:

• 3 years later...

Since it was released, and despite the fact that they kept the airbags and Fat Front Tires/Wheels, this kit has become a classic. It's the quintessential parts kit as well as a great build straight out of the box. It looks great as a highboy, chopped, full fendered and any other way you can think of. The hairpins are awesome, the hemi motor very useful and the separate louvered rear deck can be easily adapted to most of the other Revell 1/25th scale Deuces as well as the AMT '29 Ford Model A roadster and the Monogram '31 Ford Model A 5-window. The interior comes in 2 "flavors" and the '40 Ford dash and steering wheel can be easily adapted to other Deuces. Big ThumbsUpz to Revell! And a big thanx to Casey for the detail shots of the kit trees!

Edited by Bernard Kron

You mean the "Hemi" motor?

It's OK apart from what they did to the port spacing on the headers. I'm guessing they were made that way to avoid royalty issues?

I do like that they put the injection parts back in for the 5.0 motor.

• 4 years later...

Tim Boyd, I know this is an ancient thread, but thank you so much for your shots of the high boy motor. The Revell instructions show the heads and the plates the extractors attatch to upside down. I thought I was going insane and would have been lost without your pics, thanks heaps!

E64C641E-51FA-4E2C-B1DA-7812C65231BE.jpeg

929C3D40-FCF3-4D0A-9977-55A0EE364ADB.jpeg

My version of the 5 Window Coupe from 2009 the instructions show the cylinder heads the correct way except in one picture where passenger side of the engine is shown for the oil filter placement, in that picture the head is drawn upside down.
But I really never trust instructions myself as they often can be confusing and sometimes wrong as in this case, if you examine the parts and how they are supposed to go together and do some test fitting you will see right away that something is wrong and the parts woun't fit as descrbed.
The valve covers has locator pins on the underside and the heads has the corresponding holes for these pins if you turn them the right side up as you have done in your first pic, the heads also has locator tabs that fits into the cavities in the deck surface of the block, so it's quite obvious wich way the heads should be.
If you are picky the oil pan is also the wrong way as the deep part of the oil pan on the first generation Hemi is at the rear.

Edited by Force

Thanks, I did end up realising they all had locating pins, but it was super handy to have the pics to check against.

2009? I bought this brand new from Toyworld two weeks ago, and they’d just got it in then! Guess the distributors have a backload of stock here in Australia.

17 hours ago, Plashdaddy said:

Tim Boyd, I know this is an ancient thread, but thank you so much for your shots of the high boy motor. The Revell instructions show the heads and the plates the extractors attatch to upside down. I thought I was going insane and would have been lost without your pics, thanks heaps!

E64C641E-51FA-4E2C-B1DA-7812C65231BE.jpeg

929C3D40-FCF3-4D0A-9977-55A0EE364ADB.jpeg

Peter....boy that goes back a long way....I had totally forgotten about this myself.  Anyway, glad to have helped out and best regards......TIM 

10 hours ago, Plashdaddy said:

2009? I bought this brand new from Toyworld two weeks ago, and they’d just got it in then! Guess the distributors have a backload of stock here in Australia.

This thread was started 2009 and I bought mine back when this kit was first issued back in 2009, that's the copyright date on the kit box and instructions I have.
But this kit has been reissued at least a couple of times since then, 2011 and 2016, and for some reason they did new instructions for it wich was more wrong than the original ones was...who knows why.

Edited by Force

4 hours ago, Force said:

This thread was started 2009 and I bought mine back when this kit was first issued back in 2009, that's the copyright date on the kit box and instructions I have.
But this kit has been reissued at least a couple of times since then, 2011 and 2016, and for some reason they did new instructions for it wich was more wrong than the original ones was...who knows why.

Lol who knows?

After ALL these years building model cars, I honestly believe that a number of people who work on the instruction sheet NEVER even built the model kit or worked on a real car either. Remember the Road Runner cartoons long before the Road Runner car was produced, and the BEEP BEEP sound? Well in my Road Runner kit that I recently finished the company never supplied the Road Runner horn. REALLY?

1 hour ago, High octane said:

After ALL these years building model cars, I honestly believe that a number of people who work on the instruction sheet NEVER even built the model kit or worked on a real car either...

That goes for the people who design the kit parts and tooling, as well.

It's worse today than in the 1960s, and I'm rather hoping Revell's new ownership might correct that little oversight...but I'm not going to hold my breath.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's worse today than in the 1960s, and I'm rather hoping Revell's new ownership might correct that little oversight...but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Yes, I definitely have to agree with you on that Bill and no I wouldn't hold my breath either.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:47 AM, Force said:

I recall the 5 window being issued the first time in 2009, and not since then. Did they use the exact same boxart on subsequent reissues, or did it ever actually leave their catalog?

On 2018-04-23 at 4:46 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

On 2018-04-23 at 6:16 PM, High octane said:

Yes, I definitely have to agree with you on that Bill and no I wouldn't hold my breath either.

On 2018-04-26 at 4:46 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

And who knows if German's know how to use a measuring tape?! Or is it tape measure? It's just all so confusing...

:o

Hopefully they are better than what they had before...but now everything will be measured in metric as the Germans has used that system for allmost forever (introduced in 1872)...so who knows. ;)

The thing I react to the most is the underscale wheels Revell put in many of the newer kits lately, they look like 13 inch wheels when you compare them to wheels from the older kits or wheels from other manufacturers.
But there are much else that could be desired, it's not good when they have to redo a new kit because it doesn't have the right proportions, and sometimes they let obvious faults with some kits go through without correcting them.
How hard can it be to take a measure (measure twice) and divide with 25.

Edited by Force

• 1 year later...

I picked up one recently, and it is great.  It also turns out that all those not so traditional parts were exactly what I needed.  A fully traditional version would look really cool, but not everyone wants the same thing, and it's not like there aren't ways to get that full traditional look.

I do agree with Harry that some stock versions would be nice.  It's might be impractical with the Deuce, or the new Model A Coupe and roadster, but I think the only thing missing from the '29 pickup is a set of stock wheels.