Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I went to a model contest in Austin this morning. I got a Renaissance 1/24 Ford Mk IV, Protar 1/9 Honda  RC166 (the 6cyl racing bike), and a Gerstner tool box. It could use a little cleanup, but I've seen them in worse shape for more money. It will hold tools for my Sherline lathe and mill. I'll see if I can get pics later today.

I want one!

Kevin, if you see one, grab it, it's a great kit! Two engines (392 HEMI and a gorgeous 302), optional '40 Ford dash, two different styles of headlights (Highboy or Coupe), louvered or smooth trunk and hood sides, this kit is loaded with great parts, and it builds up beautifully!

Edited by Custom Mike
Mis-spelling

I went to the lhs yesterday, and they had absolutely none of the new kits I've been waiting for. But, they had this. I've wanted one for awhile, and if you factor in shipping I couldn't have bought one online at this price. Everything is indeed there, and the decals are just fine.

Keep those tires bagged - they're big-time plastic melters; you may want to recast the whitewalls in resin or they'll soften up pretty fast. Don't ask how I know this...

Got two things at my club meeting on Saturday...

IMG 2323

My friend Tim gave me this one.  Both of us have a Fiat 500 model that we will place side by side at our club meetings.

IMG 2334

Another friend brought a few things to sell.  He held it up and said, "This one is you Tom."  So I bought it. Body is in nice shape, no hogged wheel wells etc., both bumpers and tail lights included.  I have a couple of resin hoods. Interior has the dash and back seat, the missing buckets and other small parts are all in the Fireball 500 kit, which I have several parts kits.  The Fireball also has the complete chassis, but I'd opt for the modern AMT '71 Duster chassis.

IMG 2335

At Sylvania on Saturday I bought a 1/20 Tamiya driver/manager set,a Hasegawa Toyota Celica rally car kit,and picked up two old built ups-an AMT '61 T-Bird hardtop(the engineless version) and an AMT '62 Bonneville convertible.Nothing on the T-Bird was ever painted and only the interior on the Pontiac was painted.The T-Bird needs only wheels/tires now since Modelhaus had the tail lights at the show and they had a front bumper/grille for the Pontiac.

Got two things at my club meeting on Saturday...

IMG 2323

My friend Tim gave me this one.  Both of us have a Fiat 500 model that we will place side by side at our club meetings.

IMG 2334

Another friend brought a few things to sell.  He held it up and said, "This one is you Tom."  So I bought it. Body is in nice shape, no hogged wheel wells etc., both bumpers and tail lights included.  I have a couple of resin hoods. Interior has the dash and back seat, the missing buckets and other small parts are all in the Fireball 500 kit, which I have several parts kits.  The Fireball also has the complete chassis, but I'd opt for the modern AMT '71 Duster chassis.

IMG 2335

Nice buy Tom. Will a 71 fit that?? I am a box stock guy so that would be ideal if it does..

Yesterday at the MAGS contest in Tampa my 1978 Dodge pickup took an ACE award in Street machine, 1970 Buick GSX took a 2nd place in Factory Stock, 1956 Chrysler 300 took a 2nd place in Customs, 1953 Ford convertible took 1st place in Street machine, and my 1936 Ford convertible took 1st in Street Rod.  I'm a real happy camper.

Nice buy Tom. Will a 71 fit that?? I am a box stock guy so that would be ideal if it does..

MVC-008aF

Before-  See the area I cut out as marked.  It comes to 5 scale inches.

MVC-009F

It cuts clean between any complicated detail.  Note that this one was my test chassis, from an old junker.

MVC-007F

Here it is from the top. I pretty much just pinned it together inside the frame rails with some brass pegs.  Note that the wheel wells were cut out for the larger tires, but would be present on your stock chassis.

MVC-005F

And here's a '63 Valiant sitting on that chassis. The Valiant is a curbsider and I had to cut the hood off.  The engine bay from the Duster fits right in there. As a former owner of a lot of these A bodies, there are some shape differences, but most folks would never see that especially once an engine is sitting in there.    After this experiment, I've had my eye out for cheap Duster kits at shows. Some guys like to use the Revell 68-69 Dart chassis, I haven't tried that one yet.

Thank you Ray and Ed.  I wrap my builds in bubble wrap with the small bubbles and then fit 4 or 5 or them into plastic cases that Marcia found at Wal-Mart.  The cases then get put into a drag along shopping cart, also from Wal-Mart.  I always bring the "extras" case that has mirrors, LED lights, glue, wire, cutters, etc. 

MVC-008aF

Before-  See the area I cut out as marked.  It comes to 5 scale inches.

MVC-009F

It cuts clean between any complicated detail.  Note that this one was my test chassis, from an old junker.

MVC-007F

Here it is from the top. I pretty much just pinned it together inside the frame rails with some brass pegs.  Note that the wheel wells were cut out for the larger tires, but would be present on your stock chassis.

MVC-005F

And here's a '63 Valiant sitting on that chassis. The Valiant is a curbsider and I had to cut the hood off.  The engine bay from the Duster fits right in there. As a former owner of a lot of these A bodies, there are some shape differences, but most folks would never see that especially once an engine is sitting in there.    After this experiment, I've had my eye out for cheap Duster kits at shows. Some guys like to use the Revell 68-69 Dart chassis, I haven't tried that one yet.

That is really neat upgrade Tom....Glad you posted that...thanks

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...