Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I’m getting the same thing.  Calls and emails daily from India. They are legit, seems US firms are using offshore resources for cold calling. 

My resume lists software I use in my industry, so I get tons of IT inquiries. 

I’m on the East Coast, they’ll be pushing West Coast jobs with no clue of the geography. When there’s something local, I’ll get a dozen or more contacts that day.

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’m getting the same thing.  Calls and emails daily from India. They are legit, seems US firms are using offshore resources for cold calling. 

My resume lists software I use in my industry, so I get tons of IT inquiries. 

I’m on the East Coast, they’ll be pushing West Coast jobs with no clue of the geography. When there’s something local, I’ll get a dozen or more contacts that day.

Yes, same here.  It gets old.  I try and only deal with local recruiters and ignore out of area one.  Worked out very well with my last job search in January.  The geography misunderstanding makes me laugh, I'm outside Cleveland yet I get email about positions in Columbus or Cincinnati, not to mention a lot on the West Coast, Chicago, Atlanta, Austin, etc...not interested in traveling for work or relocating anytime soon.     What is really funny is how the recruiter's automated resume keyword matching systems work--I'll get email related to a technology I worked with on one job 20 years ago or places I lived 15-20 years ago (gigs in Colorado).  

Now that y'all mention calls, I had one of those too, last week--from an Indian woman I could hardly understand. Most of my junk calls want to buy my house, or offer some home "improvement" service, or are trying to shake me down for some fake "police" grift organization. :angry:

Have y'all been getting these recruiting efforts for a long time? Mine just started in the last two weeks, which is why I associated them with two new net vendors I've used. 

For me, the recruiting calls really picked up when I made my profile visible on Dice and marked 'open for business' on LinkedIn back in January when I was looking for a new gig.  I've since turned off Dice and updated Linkedin to show my new job and not looking, and there has been less...more emails than phone calls.  I keep my phone on vibrate and usually never answer the phone unless I recognize the number.   I occasionally get incoherent messages left on voice mail.   I probably should remove my phone # from my LinkedIn profile. 

10 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

For me, the recruiting calls really picked up when I made my profile visible on Dice and marked 'open for business' on LinkedIn back 

I attribute mine to LinkedIn and the “Open for Business” tag.  I did get a six month consult thru one last year with a major Pharma locally.  The company had a New Jersey address and phone presence, but everyone I dealt with including the HR contact was in India. I cannot complain, they did everything right and the HR lady called me monthly to make sure everything was okay.. better than the last several US efforts I worked with.

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

I attribute mine to LinkedIn and the “Open for Business” tag.  I did get a six month consult thru one last year with a major Pharma locally.  The company had a New Jersey address and phone presence, but everyone I dealt with including the HR contact was in India. I cannot complain, they did everything right and the HR lady called me monthly to make sure everything was okay.. better than the last several US efforts I worked with.

When i first turned on Open for Business and enabled visibility on Dice, I was getting 30-40 contacts daily.  After a couple weeks, I had a few interviews and got multiple offers, and though I've done a lot of contract positions, I ultimately went with a full time salaried, 100% remote position that was a really attractive offer and package w/ a small local company, with a local recruiter.    First time I've done the whole process remotely from home.  

Over the last year, my sister had done 3 100% remote contract gigs, she has vowed never to do business travel again (she used to rack up 500k or more air miles a year). 

Warning,  kind of gross

I was cooking a recipe that called for 4 eggs to be scrambled. i put 3 eggs in and on the 4th egg in the cup was extremely bloody. im not talking a spot, im talking full on chanded the color of the egg whites to red. I just poured the whole set in the toilet and started over. 

So gross 

I went to Walmart.

I was on the long checkout line behind what must’ve been a grandmother with two small grandchildren. She was in front of her cart looking forward and suddenly the little girl, about three, stands up on the seat and starts reaching outward towards the candy rack. She started to tumble and I instinctively grabbed her and said, “Don’t stand honey.”  She sat down fast. The people behind me gasped. The grandmother glared at me. Gee thanks!

Then I get to the parking lot. I had a good spot but the lot wasn’t crowded. As I walk up to my car, a woman zooms up and is so close to my car I wouldn’t be able to back up. I took my time putting my groceries in my trunk. She honks at me!

I was waiting for a prescription  to be ready, so I slammed my trunk,  put the cart in the corral.. then headed back into the store!  I could see her in her car yelling. I could only imagine what she said!  I chuckled to myself. Screw her!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I went to Walmart.

Then I get to the parking lot. I had a good spot but the lot wasn’t crowded. As I walk up to my car, a woman zooms up and is so close to my car I wouldn’t be able to back up. I took my time putting my groceries in my trunk. She honks at me!

I was waiting for a president to be ready, so I slammed my trunk,  put the cart I the corral.. then headed back into the store!  I could see her in her car yelling. I could only imagine what she said!  I chuckled to myself. Screw her!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. this is the best thing i read in a long time.

8 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was waiting for a prescription  to be ready, so I slammed my trunk,  put the cart in the corral.. then headed back into the store!  I could see her in her car yelling. I could only imagine what she said!  I chuckled to myself. Screw her!

If you car wasn't keyed or the tires flat when you came back out, you won! Congratulations! 

On 5/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, Snake45 said:

First rifle I ordered hasn't yet showed up on USPS tracking, and it was supposed to be delivered today. 

It arrived today, only two days late, which I guess should be considered super-service these days. :unsure:

On the happy side, the look and feel of the thing is AWESOME and that's a word I don't abuse or use lightly. If I hung it on the wall, it would easily fool 99.5% of the people who saw it into think it's a real M1 Carbine. Minor gripe: this front sight also arrived canted to the right, and fact completely loose! :blink: Looks like it's held on with a setscrew, like the other one, and I'm hoping it's an easy fix. Haven't shot it yet, looking forward to it. B):D

I don't gripe much, but the current microprocessor shortage is a serious PITA.

I currently have 19 factory ordered GM trucks, 4 GM SUVs, 8 Ram trucks, and 2 Ford vans; all held up due to the chip shortage.

My customers are chomping at the bit and need their vehicles. And quite frankly, I want them to arrive so I can deliver them and get paid!

Ugh.

41 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I don't gripe much, but the current microprocessor shortage is a serious PITA.

I currently have 19 factory ordered GM trucks, 4 GM SUVs, 8 Ram trucks, and 2 Ford vans; all held up due to the chip shortage.

My customers are chomping at the bit and need their vehicles. And quite frankly, I want them to arrive so I can deliver them and get paid!

Ugh. 

A buddy of mine on the East Coast waited several months on the new Silverado he ordered back in January...it arrived at the dealer last week, only to get wrecked by a dealer employee shortly after it arrived 

My boss ordered a new Impala just prior to Covid.  A couple of weeks later, the assembly plant shut down.  When it reopened, the car got built but was one of about 50 cars totalled in a train derailment in transit.  By then, the model year had ended, so he ended up getting a year-newer car for the same price as agreed to initially.

My son has been waiting for a big ol' Ford truck for work. His employer provides the truck for him which is good because he drives 100 miles a day round trip for work and it's also for his personal use. It has 159,000 miles on it and he is in desperate need for the new one but it is delayed because of the micro processor deal mentioned.

I guess there's lots of vehicles built but sitting there waiting for the "brain" to be installed.

There are 2 kits on ebay that im interested in. Both are very expensive for me and both sellers look new to Ebay, less than 10 feedback

I emailed both asking them to confirm that the kits were complete without damages. Neither responded to message. Im not going to buy it if the "new" seller wont respond. 

Just stinks because I really wanted one of these kits, but only if they are complete. 

Im also not willing to roll the dice. They aren't unusually cheap either

Edited by youpey

2 hours ago, youpey said:

There are 2 kits on ebay that im interested in. Both are very expensive for me and both sellers look new to Ebay, less than 10 feedback

I emailed both asking them to confirm that the kits were complete without damages. Neither responded to message. Im not going to buy it if the "new" seller wont respond. 

Just stinks because I really wanted one of these kits, but only if they are complete. 

Im also not willing to roll the dice. They aren't unusually cheap either

Does anyone else have them? I have bought from buyers less then 10 but if it doesn’t feel right I wouldn’t. They should have responded but since they didn’t I wouldn’t buy from them..

3 minutes ago, slusher said:

Does anyone else have them? I have bought from buyers less then 10 but if it doesn’t feel right I wouldn’t. They should have responded but since they didn’t I wouldn’t buy from them..

Unfortunately i haven't seen any that are complete. i think i will just need to be patient on this. 

My biggest concern is if they wont respond to an email, how do i know if they will be responsive on shipping or if there is an issue. Its a lot of money for me and more than in willing to roll the dice on. If it was unusually cheap, maybe, but not when its the same price as recently sold kits of the same value 

Edited by youpey

My poor wife was stung by a scorpion last night. Right in the foot. Said she never had pain like that. We did all the things they say do do but was not getting any relieve. Numbness started to settle into her entire foot. I finally convinced her to let me take her to urgent care to get it checked out. All her vitals were good and all they could really do was give her a pain med.  They also told us that the numbness could last up to a month. We bought this home new about 14 years ago and this is the first one we had even seen. We have a 'tube'  system that is pipe that runs between the walls throughout the house. A man comes 4  times a year and pumps chemicals through the pipes but at least one managed to get in. Anyway, having the pest people come out and spray inside the home as well as the outside and not just the pipe thing. 

34 minutes ago, cobraman said:

My poor wife was stung by a scorpion last night. Right in the foot. Said she never had pain like that. We did all the things they say do do but was not getting any relieve. Numbness started to settle into her entire foot. I finally convinced her to let me take her to urgent care to get it checked out. All her vitals were good and all they could really do was give her a pain med.  They also told us that the numbness could last up to a month. We bought this home new about 14 years ago and this is the first one we had even seen. We have a 'tube'  system that is pipe that runs between the walls throughout the house. A man comes 4  times a year and pumps chemicals through the pipes but at least one managed to get in. Anyway, having the pest people come out and spray inside the home as well as the outside and not just the pipe thing. 

Ray I really hope thr numbness doesn’t last. I  have read it’s painful. I will keep her in my prayers….

I irked myself today.

I wanted to see how hard it would be to clean the white parts of my house (corners, door/windowsurroundings and balcony) from dirt, moss and algae ( my house is surrounded by forrest)
To my surprise it came of easily so now i am forced to clean the rest of them to avoid it looking weird.
As a bonus i also have to repaint all of those parts as the paint flaked of on some..

Well atleast i have something to do now when i dont have any motivation to build anything..

Believe it or not, we have scorpions in Florida.  They're small, maybe an inch long, and like to live in and around pine trees.  When I was cutting a pine tree down a few yeasr ago, one of those little buggers bit me in the hand.  Ouch!!  Swelling lasted about a week along with the pain.