Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I keep trying to convince my wife to let us buy a sailboat and we will sell all our stuff and sail to alaska and catch snow crabs and fish and live off the ocean. 

She keeps reminding me im allergic to seafood  so it wouldn't work.  Meh on her logical thinking. 

Edited by youpey

"So" is the new "um."  (Except for the Jen Um Psaki.)

Ever notice how many neohipsters and supposedly "educated" brainiacs start every sentence with "So," and/or punctuate every pause with "So."?  Doubt it? Watch the local news. Even the allegedly educated journalists can't express a thought without "So."

So. What do you think now?

Drives me nuts.

🌵😬

On 5/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Warm weather is upon us (finally) and it always irks me when those stupid ricers are out and about revving, speeding, gunning while sounding like lawnmowers and weedwackers on crack. The god awful noise it makes thinking it sounds cool. I’d rather hear classic muscle car noise than those crazy kids ruining a perfectly decent import.

I have to live with 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. Running thru my subdivision call the cops they send them home talk to the parents. They start back in a few days no matter how May times you call. Now a spoiled daughter not happy with her pool, golf cart, she wanted a legal atv trucks. So the boys will rid with her. She is bratty and. They get tiered of her ways. This is the noise I have all summer long.

8 hours ago, Danno said:

Ever notice how many neohipsters and supposedly "educated" brainiacs start every sentence with "So," and/or punctuate every pause with "So."?  Doubt it? Watch the local news. Even the allegedly educated journalists can't express a thought without "So."

Drives me nuts.

🌵😬

"So" doesn't bother me nearly as much as either "like" or "y'know." :angry:

9 hours ago, Danno said:

Drives me nuts.

🌵😬

Yes i have. and not just them. agree 150% 

My daughter spent another fruitless weekend trying to buy a house in Central New Jersey.

A house went on market Saturday and she immediately put in a contract. Had 14 offers that day. Sold for well over list with all contingencies waived.  It’s just nuts! 

A house in my neighborhood just was listed for $300,000 more than the last sale..  lasted 3 days on market.. we don’t knowthe final sales price.  I’d sell my house, but where would we go?

29 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

My daughter spent another fruitless weekend trying to buy a house in Central New Jersey.

A house went on market Saturday and she immediately put in a contract. Had 14 offers that day. Sold for well over list with all contingencies waived.  It’s just nuts! 

It took my wife and I 9 months to find a house in central VA. Beginning of January 2019 to the middle of September. And it was supposedly a buyer's market in our area at that time.

We know all too well about the frustration of seeing a house go on and off the market on the same day. Makes you wonder how other people are able to put in an offer that fast.

40 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

A house in my neighborhood just was listed for $300,000 more than the last sale..  lasted 3 days on market.. we don’t knowthe final sales price.  I’d sell my house, but where would we go?

My wife and i briefly discussed moving to the midwest. we could buy a housr for 25% of the cost in nj. Im able to work from home, so the discussion we had was buy a house there, pay it off in 2 or 3 years while paying towards the mortgage of our current rent. Then after its paid off, work for 1 year saving everything we can. Then semi retire by getting a job there that is less stressful. 

Its a solid plan until we realized that we would be 50 in 5 years would never be able to fully retire. We would need to always be semi retired

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Those are pretty dated, though…from like 20 years ago? ;)

"Like" dates back at least to the beatnik era. I remember hearing Maynard G. Krebbs say it a lot on Dobie Gillis before he got shipwrecked. 

"Y'know" has been around since I was a kid. It's more annoying with some people than others for some reason. Fox example, there is a prominent public figure who likes to run her mouth and who doesn't seem to be able to get through a whole sentence without it. About a decade ago she was a guest on Letterman and I counted her saying "y'know" 74 times--literally 74, I counted--during her interview. :blink::angry:

On 5/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, Snake45 said:

I'm being deluged by email "job offers." I have no idea if any of these is even legit--they might all be spam, phishing, or multi-level sales offers. I don't open them. Must get at least a dozen a day. 

This is especially weird because I haven't been job hunting in over a year, and when I am looking for a job, I have a special email for that, I NEVER use my normal everyday email. 

I've done business with two new online vendors in the last week or so, and I can only think that one or both of them sold my name and email. 

Harbor Freight is opening a new store in the town nearby.  I am retired but drive a school bus.  Thought I might try to get hired on part-time just to fill some time, in the meantime give up the school bus (politics and idiotic superintendents are getting out of hand).  The local weekly paper had an article about the "new" business and listed an email address to apply for positions.  Went to the site and it did not really list Harbor Freight but looked somewhat legitimate.  When they asked for information so they could check my credit score I backed away and closed down the site.  Now my spam filter is filled daily with all sorts of job offers, most from the same organization but all use different email addresses.  Don't know how to get removed from their mailing list.  Actually probably never will, I think they are the same folks as the car warranty people."

Not really irksome, but amusing...was on a website the other day that had a Recaptcha for login, one with photos, and the question was 'select all the photos with parking meters'.  I did, but it said I was wrong and to retry...so I additionally selected the photo of a mailbox (the green plastic curbside style) and it worked... guess their image classifier algo was mistaken...

purchased a model from ebay. it was shipped right away, very fast. it was coming from central pa to nj. it gets all the way to the post office distribution center 20 minutes from my house to be delivered today. checked the tracking last night and somehow it got misdirected and it is back in central pa, further than it started from. its back on the way, but now it will probably be 2 or 3 more days. usps is absolutely the worst. 

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Beforr I dumped my land line earlier this year, I was getting pestered with calls from real estate agents.  Some of them would make the argument that I should sell now because home prices were higher than ever before.  When I replied "wouldn't that mean that any home I would try to buy would also be more expensive than ever before?" they didn't have an answer for that...

17 minutes ago, Mark said:

Beforr I dumped my land line earlier this year, I was getting pestered with calls from real estate agents.  Some of them would make the argument that I should sell now because home prices were higher than ever before.  When I replied "wouldn't that mean that any home I would try to buy would also be more expensive than ever before?" they didn't have an answer for that...

I get two or three calls a week from people wanting to know if I want to sell my house. I've been telling them something rude and unrepeatable here. I've decided the next one, I'm gonna say, "Sure! Seven million dollars." I'm sure they'll say "Your house isn't worth a tenth that," and I'll say, "Hey, who called who here? Let me know when you want to meet my price." If one of them DOES, I'll take the money and move to Texas. :lol:

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I get two or three calls a week from people wanting to know if I want to sell my house. I've been telling them something rude and unrepeatable here. I've decided the next one, I'm gonna say, "Sure! Seven million dollars." I'm sure they'll say "Your house isn't worth a tenth that," and I'll say, "Hey, who called who here? Let me know when you want to meet my price." If one of them DOES, I'll take the money and move to Texas. :lol:

I have a buddy who is a self-described hooligan and a real talker.  A telemarketer called him up one day and Murray kept him on the line for over half an hour before the telemarketer called him an a**hole and hung up!😜

15 hours ago, Danno said:

Drives me nuts.

🌵😬

Yes, especially like how she ends with her voice raised, like you know?  I'm guilty of letting "um" or "uh" in.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

"Like" dates back at least to the beatnik era. I remember hearing Maynard G. Krebbs say it a lot on Dobie Gillis before he got shipwrecked. 

"Y'know" has been around since I was a kid. It's more annoying with some people than others for some reason. Fox example, there is a prominent public figure who likes to run her mouth and who doesn't seem to be able to get through a whole sentence without it. About a decade ago she was a guest on Letterman and I counted her saying "y'know" 74 times--literally 74, I counted--during her interview. :blink::angry:

Uh oh, like you know? 🤪  When I was a teen, my dad got really irate when hearing a basketball star in an interview, "you know" interjected in every short sentence.  When anyone drops that, I interrupt with "no I don't".  I had to point this out to someone, he didn't realize he was doing it, actually unlearned the habit.   So, like, you know, isn't that a trip?

I flip out when radio talk show callers start off with "listen ...", no kidding Sherlock, we already are, waste of two seconds.  Like you know? 😈

Not to sound like yet another grumpy Boomer (which I'm not), but I do find the word 'fam' annoying.  And in business jargon--'pivot', 'unpack', 'at the end of the day', and 'think outside the box' are pretty tired and overused..

Edited by Rob Hall

During my last job search, one agency gave me a link to an article on how not to speak during an interview.  The "how not to" example was a person from a famous family, that's all I'll say (though this particular one keeps a low profile).  During a five minute or so TV interview, she dropped over a hundred "er"s, "um"s, and "you knows".  Sometimes the problem is accentuated on TV or radio, as the interviewee might be afraid of dead air.

One thing that really, really irks me... no... annoys me are these folks wearing pants halfway down their arse. Really? Are you really that desperate to be "open for business?" I coulda made a killing with selling belts. My slogan would be BLM as in Belt Loops Matter!🤣

I have mentioned problems in the past about the Coffee company I order my coffee from. Well I ordered my coffee on May 6. Their site shows 3 to 5 business days for delivery. They E-Mailed me that it was shipped May 14 and today they're wanting me to rate the coffee I ordered. I replied that their coffee still hadn't gotten here May 17. Eleven days and counting on their 3 to 5 business days for delivery. Already bought a bag of local coffee to tied me over until my order gets here. Hope I got enough.