Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

Thank you guys.  She is a bit better but that may be the pill they gave her but happy she got some relieve.

Oh man that is awful.  I can deal with small snakes as they will usually not bite unless provoked but the small critters can take you by surprise.  I hope she recovers quickly.

Thanks Rex.  She works from home so that is good. She has been making good use of my feeling bad for her and keeps me hopping. Hurts her to walk. She got stung on her big toe.  I don't mind as she would do the same for me........... I think.

Bought my first soldering  iron for a home project that I have to do that requires attaching 2 metal pieces together on a furniture part that can't be removed. I figured soldering would work but I can't get the solder to attach the 2 pieces together (the solder won't stick to the metal).   Anyway, I accidently, twice, touched my finger to the hot iron......ouch!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The functionality of several online sellers' websites continues to deteriorate almost daily...to the point now of being laughable in spite of the annoyance. You can tell the HR departments aren't hiring on ability, and the more they "fix" things and make them "better", the worse they get. You can also tell management isn't doing much oversight. These are big companies, too.

On the other hand, a few of my favored small suppliers have sites that are a pleasure to use, easily navigated, obviously intuitive, and flawless in operation.

Kinda makes one wonder.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The functionality of several online sellers' websites continues to deteriorate almost daily...to the point now of being laughable in spite of the annoyance. You can tell the HR departments aren't hiring on ability, and the more they "fix" things and make them "better", the worse they get. You can also tell management isn't doing much oversight. These are big companies, too.

On the other hand, a few of my favored small suppliers have sites that are a pleasure to use, easily navigated, obviously intuitive, and flawless in operation.

Kinda makes one wonder.

I know exactly what you mean. On three recent occasions, when I submitted my order, the site defaulted to just one of several items I'd ordered multiples of. Had to then send an email telling them what I wanted. In two cases they managed to fix it before sending. Other sites, you go to check your cart, your only next possible step is checkout, you can't add more items. Have had to back clear out and start over. 

That's why I was shocked, stunned, amazed, and awestruck with how easy and troublefree TurboTax was to use today. No problems at all (so far, anyway, knock wood), everything worked exactly as advertised and was VERY user-friendly. I'll use them again. 

Warm weather is upon us (finally) and it always irks me when those stupid ricers are out and about revving, speeding, gunning while sounding like lawnmowers and weedwackers on crack. The god awful noise it makes thinking it sounds cool. I’d rather hear classic muscle car noise than those crazy kids ruining a perfectly decent import.

What irked me today? Looky Lou’s.! Not on this site so much, but another non-model forum I am on. A thread started last year has 8,124 views and only six reply’s....three of which are mine in the last couple weeks. Do 8,118 people have nothing better to do? I must admit, I do a fair bit of browsing on here without responding, mostly because I don’t have the time to respond to every thread that I’d like to. But out of 8,118 people(assuming one look per) you would think someone would have something to say.🤨

Edit: And sometimes if I have nothing good to say, I just move on.😬

Edited by NOBLNG

Ok, this one really irked me more than anything. I’m sure some of you had this happened to you. A few weeks ago, I get a letter in the mail someone was trying to claim unemployment using my name. Had to report as fraud and contact my employer to check if there was a breach. Thankfully, there was no attempt. I also went through a credit check and they found nothing suspicious thus far. Even my wife got one this time from both the hospital (local hospital did have a data breach in the news a week or so ago) and our pharmacy. Too many people got too much time on their hands durin* the pandemic to commit fraud from their homes.

17 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Warm weather is upon us (finally) and it always irks me when those stupid ricers are out and about revving, speeding, gunning while sounding like lawnmowers and weedwackers on crack. The god awful noise it makes thinking it sounds cool. I’d rather hear classic muscle car noise than those crazy kids ruining a perfectly decent import.

I live above the main highway coming into town, now my windows are open I'm hearing traffic more.  Not only ricers, but crotch rockets, muscle cars, diesels rolling coal, spastic driving like they're really going to get to the wreck first.  I will say the Skyline that lives across the street sounds good.

I have several irks in this screenshot.  The primary one, who started the thing of putting the $ sign after the numbers?  Yoda?  I'm seeing it more in the Marketplace ads.  Years ago the education system changed the division symbol to a ·, I don't know the reason.  But the $, I know the Euro follows the numbers, is this to be inclusive or what?   The other thing is how horrible grammar is getting, I blame Tw(Sh)itter, and texting.  The other things such as the labor shortage and masks are political, so "no negative comments" about that, I'm on thin ice as it is. 🙄  Oh yea, picking the skulls background, that's just rich. 😂

13.00$.jpg

Crotch rocket bikes don't bother me much but they do go stupid fast on the expressway passing everyone in sight. I usually get nervous I'll find him down the road further in a wreck. These youngsters think it's cool to drive that fast because of the bike they ride. 

On 5/15/2021 at 6:35 PM, NOBLNG said:

What irked me today? Looky Lou’s.! Not on this site so much, but another non-model forum I am on. A thread started last year has 8,124 views and only six reply’s....three of which are mine in the last couple weeks. Do 8,118 people have nothing better to do? I must admit, I do a fair bit of browsing on here without responding, mostly because I don’t have the time to respond to every thread that I’d like to. But out of 8,118 people(assuming one look per) you would think someone would have something to say.

I've discovered through long observation that here, in the completed models section, the number of replies in a thread will be about 5% of the number of views. (I haven't checked this in other sections.) Some modelers are obviously more popular than others and can score a higher percentage, but for most of us, if you get one reply in 20 views, you're doing about average, and if you get significantly more than that in a particular thread, you've got something that is really pleasing (or maybe annoying) people. B)

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I've discovered through long observation that here, in the completed models section, the number of replies in a thread will be about 5% of the number of views. 

I just laugh sometimes!  My stuff is often outside the mainstream so I’ll see a lot of views but few remarks.

I have this mental image of a guy looking quick, thinking, “Nope! Not a Hemi!”  And clicking back to the listings.

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I have several irks in this screenshot.  The primary one, who started the thing of putting the $ sign after the numbers?  Yoda?  I'm seeing it more in the Marketplace ads.  Years ago the education system changed the division symbol to a ·, I don't know the reason.  But the $, I know the Euro follows the numbers, is this to be inclusive or what?   The other thing is how horrible grammar is getting, I blame Tw(Sh)itter, and texting.  The other things such as the labor shortage and masks are political, so "no negative comments" about that, I'm on thin ice as it is. 🙄  Oh yea, picking the skulls background, that's just rich. 😂

13.00$.jpg

This seems like typical grammar used while texting.  I don't like it either. English language is evolving, but not in a good way.  Everything is rushed.  For example, no time to type "people". At least this person attempted some punctuation and capitalization - I have seen it much worse.  But yes, that person's grammar leaves lots to be desired.

As far as the dollar sign being placed after the amount, that is how it is spoken.  You don't say "dollars thirteen", but "thirteen dollars", so the author of that message likely just wrote it the way it is spoken, without really thinking.   I don't think it has anything to do with the way the currency symbol follows the amount in a written text in other countries. Actually, in other parts of the world they sometimes use syntax without the dollar symbol. Like "13,00 USD".  Yes commas are often used instead of periods outside of the U.S.

31 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Language evolves. I’ve been watching ancient obscure movies on TBS lately and get a kick out of phrases they use that we wouldn’t say today.  

Sure Tom, but sometimes languages can "devolve" too.  "Ppl"?  Really? Poor punctuation and grammar? :wacko:

True, we do not speak old English from the days of Shakespeare, but what people use in text messages (and what is slowly is creeping into the mainstream language), doesn't seem like a positive development.

8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

That dollar sign thing has bugged me for a long time!  It’s like.. you’ve been alive how long and you’ve never seen a price tag? 😮

LOL  Good way to tell someone's age, isn't it?

8 hours ago, youpey said:

other than in the  post above, i havent seen the $ follow the numbers. i hope to never see it again :)

Now that I brought it to your attention, guess what?  

1 hour ago, peteski said:

This seems like typical grammar used while texting.  I don't like it either. English language is evolving, but not in a good way.  Everything is rushed.  For example, no time to type "people". At least this person attempted some punctuation and capitalization - I have seen it much worse.  But yes, that person's grammar leaves lots to be desired.

As far as the dollar sign being placed after the amount, that is how it is spoken.  You don't say "dollars thirteen", but "thirteen dollars", so the author of that message likely just wrote it the way it is spoken, without really thinking.   I don't think it has anything to do with the way the currency symbol follows the amount in a written text in other countries. Actually, in other parts of the world they sometimes use syntax without the dollar symbol. Like "13,00 USD".  Yes commas are often used instead of periods outside of the U.S.

Thanks for trying to explain it.

Another pet peeve, seeing how ppl are abbrv. the year.  1984 should be '84, but too many are typing 84'.  The >'< denotes the omission of 19.  I had a debate with my girlfriend who has a Masters, she had to consult a friend in academia, who confirmed what I said.  That's the one time I won an argument. 🙄

10 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Another pet peeve, seeing how ppl are abbrv. the year.  1984 should be '84, but too many are typing 84'.  The >'< denotes the omission of 19.  I had a debate with my girlfriend who has a Masters, she had to consult a friend in academia, who confirmed what I said.  That's the one time I won an argument. 🙄

You use "ppl"?!  LOL! Thanks for a good chuckle Kurt!  Apostrophe misuse is rampant (and it has been even before the computer revolution and the Internet).

http://www.apostropheabuse.com/  for some, laughts (eye-rolls, and maybe a good cry too).

https://www.grammar-monster.com/punctuation/apostrophe_misuse.html

https://hamilton.edu/academics/centers/writing/seven-sins-of-writing/4

https://letseatgrammar.com/apostrophe-misuse-101/

And many many other e xamplpes if you do  a Google search for "apostrophe misuse".

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I just laugh sometimes!  My stuff is often outside the mainstream so I’ll see a lot of views but few remarks.

I'd be willing to bet you're right in that 5% range. B)

7 minutes ago, peteski said:

You use "ppl"?!  LOL! Thanks for a good chuckle Kurt!  Apostrophe misuse is rampant (and it has been even before the computer revolution and the Internet).

http://www.apostropheabuse.com/  for some, laughts (eye-rolls, and maybe a good cry too).

https://www.grammar-monster.com/punctuation/apostrophe_misuse.html

https://hamilton.edu/academics/centers/writing/seven-sins-of-writing/4

https://letseatgrammar.com/apostrophe-misuse-101/

And many many other e xamplpes if you do  a Google search for "apostrophe misuse".

OMG LOL (where is the 'like' button?)