Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Got a call from a guy I haven't heard from in 6 months to come and give him a ride after the Super Bowl was over.

He was down town at a bar.

I had to go in and find him when I got there and the bar was packed and people kept looking out the windows and door and no one was leaving.

I asked him what the deal was and he said an unmarked cop car was across the street waiting for people to leave so they could bust them for drunk driving.

I asked who told him that and he said look for yourself!

I looked out and saw the car across the street. Had tinted windows so couldn't see if it was occupied so walked across the street and behind to see the plate.

Came back into the bar and had the DJ that had just started playing to ask who owns the black Crown Vic across the street and some college aged girl in the back yelled out hers and asked why!LOL

I gave him and a few others a ride home they didn't need to be driving.

Bummer!  My wife was snooping around Facebook, checking for old friends.  She discovered that my high school friend Brian had died in 2018.  Last I saw him was about 10 years ago when he came to my mother's wake. We had vowed to keep up then, but neither of us did.  I'm sad that he died so young.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I threw out my TV 2008, and haven't missed it since.  I *HATE* all the ads.  When I was a bar fly, never watched the boobtube, which was always on sports.  Have many other things to irk me still, dang it.

Like getting ready to pour RTV to cast resin parts.  Wasn't that long ago, got a Smooth-on kit.  Used about 5% of the RTV.  So part A was totally solid.  Guess I should store bottles on separate corners of the property.

I've had the same happen to my Smooth-on too , it has a shorter shelf life (only a couple of months) if it's not refrigerated and degassed (spray in the top of the bottle with computer cleaner , it's nitrogen) when you close it , then you might get 6 months out of it .

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Bummer!  My wife was snooping around Facebook, checking for old friends.  She discovered that my high school friend Brian had died in 2018.  Last I saw him was about 10 years ago when he came to my mother's wake. We had vowed to keep up then, but neither of us did.  I'm sad that he died so young.

Tom, I went to lunch wit a old work buddy and found out a class mate and friend died of a bran aneurysm while getting a small procedure. I moved out of where I lived when I divorced my ex and lost track of friends I was close with. He died in 2014 right afte his son was born. He was 46...

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I took my junk $200 car to have it inspected today, and it wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd the entire drive there. If it's a shift solenoid, I may be looking at a few hundred dollar repair bill, just what I need.

Your life is worth a lot more than a $200 junker, why risk it?

14 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I took my junk $200 car to have it inspected today, and it wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd the entire drive there. If it's a shift solenoid, I may be looking at a few hundred dollar repair bill, just what I need.

They called me about mine today. Needs ignition module. $1150 for a new one, $750 for used, guaranteed one year. I told them go for the used one. Just last month it need a $837 radiator. Sigh. 

When you are poor or on a fixed income you just do what you have to do!

I drive a 2006 HHR with 170'000 miles on it. Just had to put another pair of tires on it after tread started separating on one. Already replaced the other two a while back for the same reason. The old tires still had well oner 80% tread left but were dry rotted bad!

Last summer replaced the entire exhaust system including the cat converter and the sensors.

This spring I will have to replace the lower control arms and struts and springs as I have a coil broke on one. Also need to do the rear brakes.

When you can't afford a new one you just have to keep the old one going as long as you safely can!

In your case Kevin I would consider looking for another cheap car if it is rusted that bad. Most shops are not going to touch suspension or frame rust. Too big of a liability!

Ahhh, a thread that I could take a liking too.

How about a Chrysler PT Cruiser with just 66000 miles on it and the lower a-arm bushings are completely shot already? I mean maybe I could see it at 100,000 but 66k sure does seem like a short life to me. Checked the dealer cost at around $800 for both sides (left is a bit worse than right side).  Car overall is in good condition so guess I have to bite the bullet as the car is a pain to drive on any road with minor roughness to it.

And on top of that, I just had to replace my laptop after having mine stolen at the Jacksonville airport!

Edited by chasracer

Parking wardens. 

I stopped in town to use the cash-point. A lurking traffic warden crossed the road and took a photo of my car. I finished drawing out my cash and went back to the car, suggesting that the warden should get a life. He started saying "I'm only doing my j..." so I pointed out the his lot were killing the town - it used to get a lot of passing trade but nowadays if you're not entitled to a demarcated space the local parking patrol slaps a ticket on you. So he began to say as I was leaving  "I'm only doing my job". 

I'm glad however that I drive a V8. I felt better as I left..

ps. Sorry about your laptop.

Edited by DonW

Thanks for the inputs, fellas, it helps to hear that others have the same or similar issues with the expenses that owning a car can pile onto us. There are always options, I keep telling myself, but it still sucks to have to try to figure it all out, and I always seem to get nailed just when I least expect it.

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

I always seem to get nailed just when I least expect it.

I've discovered that your cars always know when your tax refund check has just arrived, or is just about to. Every time. They want their cut of it. 

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I've discovered that your cars always know when your tax refund check has just arrived, or is just about to. Every time. They want their cut of it. 

I agree. It seems that whenever I get to where I'm a little up from before, something happens that slams me right back down again. I was feeling just a bit bitter yesterday, mostly because I had to face the reality (once again), that most of my financial issues are of my own doing, and that can be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Roadrunner - believe me, you are not alone. I can plan, I can save, I can figure it out to the last nickel and I can guarantee that something will come out of nowhere to blow it to pieces. It gets old and very frustrating. And yes, it's my fault - hell it isn't anyone else's issue.

and as the French Proverb goes...

"Praise the God of all, drink the wine, and let the world be the world."

2 hours ago, chasracer said:

Roadrunner - believe me, you are not alone. I can plan, I can save, I can figure it out to the last nickel and I can guarantee that something will come out of nowhere to blow it to pieces. It gets old and very frustrating. And yes, it's my fault - hell it isn't anyone else's issue.

and as the French Proverb goes...

"Praise the God of all, drink the wine, and let the world be the world."

I have to agree. Perhaps it helps to share the frustration. It certainly seems to help me, and that's a very good thing.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:35 PM, HomerS said:

From my son's school yesterday afternoon.......

Due to a sharp increase in the number of students who are absent from school because of illness, the XXXXXXXXXX School District will be closed on Friday, January 31, 2020. All after-school activities and athletic events will go on as scheduled. We are taking this proactive measure to allow time for our custodial crew to give our classrooms and common areas a deep clean

Wait?  So they are doing the deep clean but the home basketball games tonight and tomorrow night (in the gym) and the dance (in the cafeatorium) will still go on.  Are they infecting attendees to these events or cleaning today so they have a new batch of germs for Monday?

Because sports are more important than school anymore.  

11 hours ago, chasracer said:

Ahhh, a thread that I could take a liking too.

How about a Chrysler PT Cruiser with just 66000 miles on it and the lower a-arm bushings are completely shot already? I mean maybe I could see it at 100,000 but 66k sure does seem like a short life to me. Checked the dealer cost at around $800 for both sides (left is a bit worse than right side).  Car overall is in good condition so guess I have to bite the bullet as the car is a pain to drive on any road with minor roughness to it.

And on top of that, I just had to replace my laptop after having mine stolen at the Jacksonville airport!

I am surprised you were able to put that many miles on before they needed replaced. Old Ed from work had one that his wife drove. it was in every 30 to 40 thousand miles for those. That was the only problem they had with it so he lived with it for a few replacements.