Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

3 hours ago, bamadon said:

Very sad day in our family today.Yesterday my nephew's 14 year old son was hit and killed by a car while riding his bike to school. I can't imagine having to bury a child.

Very sorry to hear this, especially about one so young. :(

I don't know what's worse, a sudden unexpected death, or one you know is coming for a long time. My brother in law dropped dead out of the clear blue two weeks ago. Wasn't sick at all; he was putting on his coat to go out to dinner and was gone just that quick. They think it was either a massive heart attack or a blood clot. It was quite a shock to the whole family. 

48 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Very sorry to hear this, especially about one so young. :(

I don't know what's worse, a sudden unexpected death, or one you know is coming for a long time. My brother in law dropped dead out of the clear blue two weeks ago. Wasn't sick at all; he was putting on his coat to go out to dinner and was gone just that quick. They think it was either a massive heart attack or a blood clot. It was quite a shock to the whole family. 

Sorry for your loss Snake. Sudden death doesn't give you a chance to prepare for it. At my age (75) I've experienced a lot of long term illness resulting in death but to have it happen so unexpectedly not very often.

Well I Stubbed my toe so bad while walking down a flight of stairs in my house...That I broke it.And the only thing I can really do,is tape it to the toe next to it,and try to stay off it.But damm,does it hurt.???.Arrrggg.P.S,Sorry bamadon for your loss.

Edited by NYLIBUD

14 hours ago, bamadon said:

Very sad day in our family today.Yesterday my nephew's 14 year old son was hit and killed by a car while riding his bike to school. I can't imagine having to bury a child.

So sorry for your loss. May Jesus comfort you and your family...

On 3/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, Tom Geiger said:

And when it swings the other way they are selling gas for less than they paid for it! Kinda averages out. My family owned a station.

As a young man I owned several Service Stations at different times that included Shell, Union 76, and  Mobil brands. The suppliers all handled these pricing situations in various was, non of which compensated the owner/dealer for the gas in the ground if there was a sudden price drop. The good old fashion "gas wars". Yes you would be a winner if the suggested retail price went up right after you had bought a load at the lower wholesale price. On the other hand if you bought a load, of gas, at the higher wholesale price and then the supplier puts out the lower suggested retail price you would stand to lose a lot of money. As an individual I would stay within a penny or two of the suppliers suggested price but I never let the stations retail price drop below what the last load of gas cost the station. The actual retail price on most areas was dictated by the surrounding stations and you would always try and stay no more than two cents higher than the lowest price competitor in your area. The suppliers also would usually give you a 24 to 48 hour heads up on any price changes that they were anticipating, and this was about the best I ever saw from the supplier as to helping the retailer on pricing matters.  As a retailer you were able to sell your product with what ever markup you wanted, but the market place, what people would pay, would dictate just how much your going to make on a gallon of gas. At the time in the late '60's, you could hope for a 5 to 10 cents a gallon of price spread and hope you made enough to cover your station's rent, pay your help  and make enough to live on. Where to big stations today sell snacks and drinks, sandwiches, donuts, beer, and some other shinny objects and you pump your own gas and clean your own windshield , check your oil and water, and pay for air for your tires if you even think to check them. In the old days all of this was done for you at no additional charge by an attendant who would also fill out your credit card and give you a receipt and thank you, and mean it, for your purchase and hand you a fist full of green stapes and one of those orange balls with a 76 on it for your radio antenna. . Our only hope at that time to turn a profit was doing service work, brakes, water pumps, clutches, batteries and tires. Long hours with relatively less pay than working a 9 to 5 gig in some other field. And so I chose another direction trying to earn a living. 

On 3/11/2020 at 10:50 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Well I Stubbed my toe so bad while walking down a flight of stairs in my house...That I broke it.And the only thing I can really do,is tape it to the toe next to it,and try to stay off it.But damm,does it hurt.???.Arrrggg.P.S,Sorry bamadon for your loss.

One of my sons did that on one of those hard rubber dog toys early one morning before work!LOL

On 3/11/2020 at 10:21 AM, bamadon said:

Our prayers go out to your family Don.

So sorry for your loss.

I Just read that the Barrett Jackson auction scheduled for the middle of April in a Palm Beach Florida will be cancelled and rescheduled to sometime in Oct.The Mohegan Sun and the Las Vegas auctions will go on as scheduled.Public panic is setting in,But I suppose the public’s safety comes first.Im gonna go to the Mohegan sun auction as planned.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:21 AM, bamadon said:

Don, I'm sorry for the loss of your nephew's son and what it must mean to you and all of your family.  It is a tragedy for anyone to die needlessly and especially so young.  

I understand the cancellation of the rest of the season as there were only a couple weeks (ten games) left but the ECHL cancelled the playoffs!!  

FC Cincinnati 6-22-6  (0-2 this year before COVID-19...and the new coach was fired before the season for using racial slurs)

Reds.....last playoffs?    2013

Bengals....solid 2-14 

Cyclones?   38-16-8 (second place).....won the Brabham Cup last year for the best record.

I heard my wife up stairs yesterday morning cussing like an old sailor. This is not her usual vocabulary. Left the modeling desk to see what was going on up stairs. Why is it that refrigerators always stop functioning  on a Saturday morning after you had just loaded it with over a hundred dollars worth of food including expensive cuts of meat. She had opened the freezer section with Ice Cream dripping off the shelf on to the floor. We are lucky to have a second refrigerator and freezer in the basement and spent the morning taking what we felt could be saved to the basement and the rest went into the trash. We did all of the reset tests listed in the owner's manual but it still will not get cold. We hope we can find a repair tech  Monday and that it's just a computer board or something. I really don't feature going out and buying a new one right now. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I heard my wife up stairs yesterday morning cussing like an old sailor. This is not her usual vocabulary. Left the modeling desk to see what was going on up stairs. Why is it that refrigerators always stop functioning  on a Saturday morning after you had just loaded it with over a hundred dollars worth of food including expensive cuts of meat. She had opened the freezer section with Ice Cream dripping off the shelf on to the floor. We are lucky to have a second refrigerator and freezer in the basement and spent the morning taking what we felt could be saved to the basement and the rest went into the trash. We did all of the reset tests listed in the owner's manual but it still will not get cold. We hope we can find a repair tech  Monday and that it's just a computer board or something. I really don't feature going out and buying a new one right now. 

You must have a big tax refund coming. Your car and your major appliances always know, sometimes WAY before you do. :lol:

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

You must have a big tax refund coming. Your car and your major appliances always know, sometimes WAY before you do. :lol:

Actually we had to send them money and because Im rtired and my wife works we are now being required to post $500 quarterly with the state.  

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I used to sell some of my brother's stuff when I set up at shows and swap meets.  The day after one of them, I dropped by his house to give him a couple hundred bucks.  Right after I gave him the money, he told me to go for a ride...we went to a department store, he grabbed a cart, wheeled it down to the appliances, grabbed a microwave oven and tossed it into the cart.  Another time, he came back from the York train show to a dead refrigerator, another trip to Hershey resulted in replacing a washing machine the next day.

Me, I got laid off last May (knew it was coming for about a year).  Got the check for my accrued paid time off (about six weeks' worth) the same day I had the front lawn torn up to replace a collapsed clay pipe taking the waste water from the house to the sewer.  Pretty much the same amount as the PTO check...

7 hours ago, espo said:

Could it be a thermostat?

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Could it be a thermostat?

I hope to be able to find out this evening. I got in contact with the 5 star repair guy the manufacture lists and he's going to be in our area this afternoon on anther call so he is planning to come by here then. He's based out of somewhere on the Mo. east side of the metro and we're on the westside. 

Friday I drove 8 hours to look at a car that looked to be in very nice shape and had been described as "perfect" by the salesman. The first problem was a large spot of flaking paint on the bumper cover that had been carefully concealed in the pictures. As we're walking to the car he pipes up that the passenger door handle doesn't work and that the power antenna has been broken off. I decide to take it out to see if it drives better than it looks, it does not. The brakes are spongy, the rotors are warped, the transmission shifts are mushy, and theres an odd feeling of resistance while drive like all the tries are pointed in a slightly different direction. 

When I get back I tell the guy I'm not taking the car because he hid all the stuff wrong with it, he told me I was supposed to be able tell this stuff from the pictures and he wasn't responsible to tell me anything over the phone. He also keep the deposit I'd put on the car. If I was a younger man he'd be in the hospital right now.

News reporters that cover only one side of a story.  I know there must be thousands of people who have contracted this "virus" who have survived it, gotten well, and are living normal lives.  Yet all the news reports are the number of new cases, the closing of another industry, or forcing people to stay inside their homes.  Get real folks.

58 minutes ago, slusher said:

I just wonder who is hoarding all the toilet paper? Can’t figure it out..

I don't know. I went when we needed it and found a big pack (all they had was big packs) and we are set for a couple months at least.

A cousin said he could spare some if we ran out.

The trucking company he drives for had a truck that got caught in the flooding so they wound up with a truck load of TP. Only the first layer of boxes were damaged so they had it all (undamaged freight) in the warehouse where they keep damaged freight they are responsible for and paid out on.

They divided it up among the employees when the run on TP happened so he has a ton of it in his basement right now!LOL He hs given some away to elderly members of his church though.