Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Getting away from trees..

My son in law, father of my three grand babies is a professional fireman. He has been called upon for extra duties right in the thick of this mess in New Jersey.

If you saw the evacuation of a nursing home due to Coronavirus in NJ yesterday, he was there. His department ran the decontamination tent for those who handled the patients. Scary!

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Trees are good,like u said Ace,they shade the sun.And I’ve been noticing that all these moronic new neighbors around me are cutting down all the trees on my road.If I wanted that,I’d move into the sewer called NYC..

It is a strange thing until you talk to some of the people.

Been happening around here for about 10 years.

People moving down from the city (Chicago and Burbs) and their main reason for having all the trees removed...... so they don't have to rake the leaves!!!!?

DO NOT CUT YOUR TREES....THAT SIMPLE.Again,if u don’t want trees,stay in the city..There still at it,just buzzing away all day long.Im seriously about to explode and do something.I can’t take this.I might seriously go to jail tonight when my neighbor comes home.If he’s holding his little kids,that will be his only defense.So far they have cut every bush down and now it’s the trees.Ok u wanna put in a pool,that’s one thing,but just to cut everything down cause you don’t want to rake leaves,then hire a landscaper.Here I’am planting as many trees and shrubs and these idiots are cutting all theirs down.??

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Here I’am planting as many trees and shrubs and these idiots are cutting all theirs down.??

I don't understand cutting down trees to avoid raking leaves.  The leaves blow around!  My mom had no trees in her yard, but still got leaves.  I rake some (not a lot) of leaves in my back yard, and the only tree in my yard is an evergreen that was there when I bought the house.  There were two, the other got loaded with ice during an early winter storm and came down.  I did get rid of three evergreens that were next to the driveway because they were dripping sap all over my car, and dropping needles everywhere including the neighbor's gutter.  She thanked me for getting rid of those trees, they were just in the wrong place.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Looking forward to planting more trees and shrubberies this year...planted a bunch of evergreens the last two summers, want to plant more this year. I find working in my yard very relaxing. 

IMG-3690.jpg

IMG-3691.jpg

IMG-3693.jpg

Exactly,I agree,very relaxing.However I had to replant a ton of low Junipers last spring after we had a bad LI NY winter two years ago.But with only maybe 5 inches of total snow this past winter,they all lived except for a couple.As far as trees,Evergreens and white Birches are my favorite...BTW,Very Nice work dude.

35 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Welp my neighbor came home.He waved hi,and I simply looked at him,didn’t say a single word,and walked back into my house.Anybody wanna tell me where I can purchase a high powered salt rifle...Relax,I’m just joking.????

I take it he survived......read your previous neighbor post

Edited by Khils

If I had known about all the leaves my trees would drop every fall, I would have planted less trees as I can no longer rake, blow, and pick up or  bag them anymore as I get older. The last couple of years I had to hire someone and just did so today for some yard work to be done next month. Oh well.

7 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Looking forward to planting more trees and shrubberies this year...planted a bunch of evergreens the last two summers, want to plant more this year. I find working in my yard very relaxing. 

IMG-3690.jpg

IMG-3691.jpg

IMG-3693.jpg

Rob, I have some of those little evergreen trees that are 10 feet tall and hide the houses behind me. They are the tall growing kind not miniatures. I like trees you have song birds if you have trees. The evergreens in the second picture they get really huge and busie. I like your yard!

4 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Welp my neighbor came home.He waved hi,and I simply looked at him,didn’t say a single word,and walked back into my house.Anybody wanna tell me where I can purchase a high powered salt rifle...Relax,I’m just joking.????

Ron,  my son has sensitive hearing especially thunder so I bought him some of those ear sound protection like guys who mow yards or work construction. He sleeps through all noise when he wears them. Just a suggestion.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Ron,  my son has sensitive hearing especially thunder so I bought him some of those ear sound protection like guys who mow yards or work construction. He sleeps through all noise when he wears them. Just a suggestion.

Thank you for the idea slusher..And I realize I sound like a little baby complaining about some chain saw noise,while people are dying and are losing their jobs and may lose their homes.And I apologize to all those people,I really do...But when ur trapped(at least it feels like being trapped with an 82 yo father),it starts to bother u in other ways.Idk,I just hope everybody stays healthy,and that no one else dies,or don’t lose their jobs or homes....Crazy time right now.Good night all,stay healthy and stay calm.I’ll really try to follow my own advice.

Thank you,now let’s build some models,I guess.Lol

6 hours ago, Khils said:

I take it he survived......read your previous neighbor post

Yea,but man I wanted to say something,and if it wasn’t for my father coming home today and trying to calm me down a bit,I would’ve spoken to him.But they’ll be back tomorrow at 7:30 am again,and again I’ll be mad as hell,but I’ll keep my cool,even if it’s to keep my elderly,but healthy father,so far calm..And the tree trimmers are just doing their jobs for a pay check to put food on their table.I guess I’d do the same.But dam start at 10 am....please,lol.

The next time your new neighbor waves and says hi why not say hello, introduce yourself, find out a little about the new comer, then ask him what he has planned for the yard. Just a thought, if he cut down some really big trees with the idea of a pool, wait till he finds out how expensive it'll be to remove the stumps and all of the roots.  

Yup once again,the crew arrives in their stupid glow in the dark,?,work vests at 7:15 am,on the dot.I guess they must have had to lay out their work plan(whose doing what,etc) for the day.Then had breakfast..By 8 am,They started warming up the chain saws.Then they began buzzing away.I guess cause it’s Friday,though,it was a shorter day,because they were gone by around 1pm.But they will be back to get the rest of the trees down.And Espo,as far as being friends with the guy and waving back at him,no thanks.I tried that,but I have several other friends up and down my road.However that number is quickly dwindling due to the fact that a lot of them are packing up and moving away...Where there are still nice BIG green trees.Arrrrggggg???..

Since we are fixated on trees.. 

Many years ago we rented a house at a lake community in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains. All the houses were woodsy looking with brown stained wood exteriors, A frames and chalet styles that all fit nicely into the wooded environment.

We wanted to go to the community pool so we started driving down the main winding road and we stopped to ask walkers where the pool was. “Keep going until you see a blue house, then turn left at the next corner”. We kept driving and it was a bit so we thought we missed the turn. All the houses had natural brown siding so I’m looking for anything blue.. a door or shutters.

We ask more walkers and they said the same thing. I questioned and they said, “You cannot miss the blue house!”  We drove a bit more and suddenly there was a big break in the tree cover. And there was the blue house! It was a huge city style 3 story house. It had bright blue aluminum siding. It also had security  bars on all the windows. The entire lot had been mowed clean of anything living and was all white crushed stone. It was all surrounded by tall chain link fence, with a driveway gate that had a lock on it. The front yard had a couple religious statues and the car in the driveway had New York plates on it. No doubt their little slice of vacation heaven!

Most communities have architectural design standards. Our HOA has to approve any additions and changes. When we put the black metal fence around our pool, replacing the rotted wood one. I had to send in a form, and it was approved in a few days.

Edited by Tom Geiger

4 hours ago, espo said:

The next time your new neighbor waves and says hi why not say hello, introduce yourself, find out a little about the new comer, then ask him what he has planned for the yard. Just a thought, if he cut down some really big trees with the idea of a pool, wait till he finds out how expensive it'll be to remove the stumps and all of the roots.  

I agree. Unless the are total a-holes,  it is always good to be friendly with your neighbors.  After all, you live with them next door. 

This guy seems like a friendly person, even if he is clueless about trees. Or maybe he doesn't like trees. Still, makes no sense to become enemies just because of that.  And even trying to give him lecture about how nice trees are would also be pointless - his mind was already set.  Differen't people think in different ways.  You don't; have to get really cozy with the guy, but keep it nice.  It is always better to have a friendly person next door, rather than a grumpy enemy.

In Wayzata Mn, where my brother lives. A house on a big lot sold to a builder who planned on putting up

two houses on that very expensive Lot. Only problem, a giant Maple tree that HOA wouldn't allow cutting

down.

His answer,  POISON IT!

The jerk actually got away with it. Evidence against him was good, but it was not worth the fight ( $$ 's ).

The builder had more pull than town hall, go figure.

3 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

In Wayzata Mn, where my brother lives. A house on a big lot sold to a builder who planned on putting up

two houses on that very expensive Lot. Only problem, a giant Maple tree that HOA wouldn't allow cutting

down.

His answer,  POISON IT!

The jerk actually got away with it. Evidence against him was good, but it was not worth the fight ( $$ 's ).

He should of left no unless they just suspected him. You can go around a tree and break the bark with a hammer and it will die.

19 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Since we are fixated on trees.. 

Many years ago we rented a house at a lake community in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains. All the houses were woodsy looking with brown stained wood exteriors, A frames and chalet styles that all fit nicely into the wooded environment.

We wanted to go to the community pool so we started driving down the main winding road and we stopped to ask walkers where the pool was. “Keep going until you see a blue house, then turn left at the next corner”. We kept driving and it was a bit so we thought we missed the turn. All the houses had natural brown siding so I’m looking for anything blue.. a door or shutters.

We ask more walkers and they said the same thing. I questioned and they said, “You cannot miss the blue house!”  We drove a bit more and suddenly there was a big break in the tree cover. And there was the blue house! It was a huge city style 3 story house. It had bright blue aluminum siding. It also had security  bars on all the windows. The entire lot had been mowed clean of anything living and was all white crushed stone. It was all surrounded by tall chain link fence, with a driveway gate that had a lock on it. The front yard had a couple religious statues and the car in the driveway had New York plates on it. No doubt their little slice of vacation heaven!

Most communities have architectural design standards. Our HOA has to approve any additions and changes. When we put the black metal fence around our pool, replacing the rotted wood one. I had to send in a form, and it was approved in a few days.

Aluminum siding you say. Where is a good lighting and thunder storm when you need one. This sounds like someone with real security issues.  

Pollen's about the worst I've seen it ever this season. It doesn't usually bother me much, but this year it's making me kinda woolly-headed. Guess that's what I get for going outside instead of hiding under the bead with 200 rolls of toilet paper.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Pollen's about the worst I've seen it ever this season. It doesn't usually bother me much, but this year it's making me kinda woolly-headed. Guess that's what I get for going outside instead of hiding under the bead with 200 rolls of toilet paper.

Your taking room too hoarding model kits buddy lol...

Wanted to get some supplies for the yard. Tried to cash in a couple hundred dollars worth of points on the Capital 1 card. They have shut down their rewards program. They don't offer any information about the future of the program either. Hmm. Not trying to start anything," but its my money and I want it now." 

On 3/27/2020 at 11:45 PM, STYRENE-SURFER said:

down.

His answer,  POISON IT!

It happened in our little village in Wales a while back. There was a tiny old church (decommissioned but with a historic building preservation order) that the new owner (property developer) wanted to pull down to build a big new place. One day a big JCB happened to 'accidentally' crash into it, making it structurally unsound. So the developer was able to go ahead. The council did nothing.

Some dirty money changed hands behind the scenes... 

So often profit and corruption destroy beauty and history.

18 hours ago, espo said:

Tried to cash in a couple hundred dollars worth of points on the Capital 1 card. They have shut down their rewards program. 

Sounds like a great new commercial with Samuel L Jackson: "What's in YOUR wallet? Oh, you think so? Guess again, m..............!" :lol: