Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

The medical system is a little odd here when it comes to your teeth.
Anything else with your body, broken bone, surgery and anything else is free but for the teeth you have to pay and it is not cheap.
Last time i had this same problem fixed it took maybe 30 sec and cost me about $150...

So even if they charge us they will not let us in right now and yes it is a kind of emergency but the only emergencys they accept right now is if you have knocked your teeth out.
Anything else is not allowed to come in..

On 5/9/2020 at 10:54 AM, PierreR89 said:

The medical system is a little odd here when it comes to your teeth.
Anything else with your body, broken bone, surgery and anything else is free but for the teeth you have to pay and it is not cheap.
Last time i had this same problem fixed it took maybe 30 sec and cost me about $150...

So even if they charge us they will not let us in right now and yes it is a kind of emergency but the only emergencys they accept right now is if you have knocked your teeth out.
Anything else is not allowed to come in..

I'm sorry to hear that. I have a couple of Dental problems right now and my appointment has been put off because of the shut down. Next week they are going to check to see if I can get a tooth implant for one that had a broken root and had to be removed, and I'm waiting to get in for another tooth that a corner broke off of and they're thinking a crown on that one.  

image.jpeg.f1d11ada9b4ffc5b53917996de8eb376.jpeg

Inspired by young mr. Snake I went looking for a Miss Deal.

There's none to be found for sale in these waters. Nearest is in the 'States, and nobody that's selling will ship out here at the moment. 

Likewise the Crate and the Bandit. Nothing worse than a glue-bombed Orange Crate...

But I never got my hands on the Studebaker and I really want one now.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:03 PM, DonW said:

There's none to be found for sale in these waters. Nearest is in the 'States, and nobody that's selling will ship out here at the moment. 

Likewise the Crate and the Bandit. Nothing worse than a glue-bombed Orange Crate...

That's strange? Im almost certain iv seen a few of those in the hobby shops in my area. Im sure I saw a few at some of the nearby hobby shops to me! perhaps you should start looking on kijiji? (although depending on where your located you would need to get it shipped out) I also found a few from ebay, about 300 odd results, although all from the US.

Edited by Gumball

8 hours ago, Gumball said:

That's strange? Im almost certain iv seen a few of those in the hobby shops in my area. Im sure I saw a few at some of the nearby hobby shops to me! perhaps you should start looking on kijiji? (although depending on where your located you would need to get it shipped out) I also found a few from ebay, about 300 odd results, although all from the US.

Thanks Johnny

I'll look on kijiji, but it's the postage that's the dealbreaker, especially at the moment.

Cheers,

-Don.

The World of Speed museum has closed permanently. This is a local museum that opened 5 years ago and has continued to amaze me with the displays of cars they have brought in. I've been a member these past 5 years also and this news has gutted me.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:03 PM, DonW said:

Don,

I've not seen this kit in the U.K. since Beatties in Holborn closed down over 30 years ago. 

Hope you find one at a sensible price!

steve

22 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

I've not seen this kit in the U.K. since Beatties in Holborn closed down over 30 years ago. 

I think it's been reissued at least twice since then. Probably about due for another repop, too, in the next couple years. 

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I think it's been reissued at least twice since then. Probably about due for another repop, too, in the next couple years. 

I hope this happens, we should be out of this mess by then!

Thanks Snake and Steve!

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Nasty road construction in town.. why didn’t they do it while everyone was at home...

I work (in the office) for a construction company that specializes in site and road work.  State government has wavered back and forth before finally considering road work "essential" and allowing us to proceed.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I work (in the office) for a construction company that specializes in site and road work.  State government has wavered back and forth before finally considering road work "essential" and allowing us to proceed.

Probably the "baksheesh" was being negotiated and a proper fee was finally settled on. :lol:

There was some strong lobbying by associations on behalf of construction companies.  The road work "opened up" relatively soon, but the state did drag its collective feet regarding work at schools.  You'd think that the school stuff (parking lots, athletic fields) would make sense to get done while there aren't any students or faculty there, but nope...letting contractors start those jobs took a while.

FedEx. I've had this happen before where I look at the tracking and it tells me when it will be delivered and then I don't get it. The log shows where the package is and this time it's been sitting at the local facility and now says delivery is pending. When am I going to get it?

This has happened before when life was normal so you can't blame it on the virus. My wife has told me a number of times that her work place has problems with FedEx but UPS is great. I've witnessed the same with home deliveries.

The main irritant I've had w/ FedEx is when they hand off an international package to my local USPS for delivery.  My local USPS has issues w/ delivery of international packages for some reason...they sometimes keep them at the PO and don't deliver it or leave a card..I had to the PO and argue w/ them to get my package on multiple occasions.   (this was during normal times).

I did get a HLJ package directly from FedEx delivery this week w/ no problems.  And w/ social distancing they aren't requiring a signature anymore.   I've been getting wine and alcohol deliveries from FedEx lately w/ no signatures... 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 minute ago, espo said:

I have had a few packages from Fed X and UPS both that saw more of the country getting to our home than I have seen in years.  

Yeah, it's fun sometimes to look at the tracking history on shipments...one of the better ones I thought was a package going from Atlanta to here outside Cleveland that went through So Cal... 

7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, it's fun sometimes to look at the tracking history on shipments...one of the better ones I thought was a package going from Atlanta to here outside Cleveland that went through So Cal... 

My all time favorite was a few years ago. I needed some Tamiya Finish compound and there was non to be found around here. I went to Amazon and they showed they had a few and I think it was around ten dollar or less with no shipping to me. I said send it. As the first week went by it turned out the polish wasn't in the US, it was in Japan but it was on the way. The next update had it in Singapore but it was still on it's way. I don't even remember the next two stops, but when it showed up here in my mail box it had close to twenty dollars in stamps on the front.  Then Amazon apologized for the wait and credited my account back for the purchase and gave my 20 % off my next purchase. I don't understand how they can make any money on small sales unless they pick it up on volume. I.E. loose money on every transaction.  

31 minutes ago, espo said:

...Amazon....  I don't understand how they can make any money on small sales unless they pick it up on volume. I.E. loose money on every transaction.  

Don't worry about Bezos, he's doin' okay, I assure you. B)

I'm beginning to be annoyed by the phrase "so good." It first came to my attention last year in that Toyota commercial with the semi-hot girl in red and the semi-famous wrestling announcer, which I must have seen about 75,000 times. Now I'm starting to hear it other places, as if it's a thing. 

I'm NOT talking about the phrase as part of a complete sentence, such as "That was so good" or "Their new album is so good." I mean when it's just thrown out there on its own. "So good." Maybe it's the new "awesome." :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'm NOT talking about the phrase as part of a complete sentence, such as "That was so good" or "Their new album is so good." I mean when it's just thrown out there on its own. "So good." Maybe it's the new "awesome." :rolleyes:

Or the new 'no bueno'  (not good)....not sure how widely used this is, but I picked it up from a coworker in AZ maybe 5-8 years ago...

Edited by Rob Hall

Ron will like this, it's about trees!

I reported here that I had a large cherry tree come down in a storm a few weeks ago.  I was successful in getting a guy to come to harvest the wood and take it away for free. 

The tree is at the very back of my property, which is adjacent to common property owned by the HOA (Home Owners Association).  Picture a big grassy field that the HOA has mowed.  Behind that is Gary the leaf fiend.  A picky neighbor who runs his very loud leaf blower all year long, even if there is one leaf on either his own or the HOA property.  He pretty much treats the HOA property as if it's his own... I've watched him chase kids off the field.

The guy shows up today to start cutting at the tree.  He pulls his pickup up on the HOA property (which I have permission to do) and no sooner fires up the chain saw and here comes Gary!   Before I get there, Gary is yelling at the guy that he doesn't want anyone on the grass!   Um, it's not your property!  Gary makes a big stink, my tree guy gets insulted and friggin leaves!  Guy says he's not dealing with a pain in the tail neighbor.

So I go grab Gary and give him a piece of my mind.  Pretty much told him it wasn't his property, and all I had was one guy with a chain saw there...  

And when I get a tree service (which I"ll have to pay for) to come they will bring a whole mess of trucks and people to be on the grass!   I put my "free cherry wood" ad back on Craig's List.

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

...Behind that is Gary the leaf fiend.  A picky neighbor who runs his very loud leaf blower all year long, even if there is one leaf on either his own or the HOA property.  He pretty much treats the HOA property as if it's his own... I've watched him chase kids off the field...

Sounds like Gary's a Karen.