Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya MkII Jaguar

Ajay

I was thinking to myself the other day that the UK didn't really have a customising scene in the 50's to anywhere near the extent of the one in the States at that time. That got me thinking what if there was a budding Barris in the UK in the 50's who decided to build a leadsled using traditonal techniques on a British car of the period. Not many cars to choose from in kit form but I thought that the Tamiya Jaguar MkII might fit the bill an set to work.with the "torch" & "lead". The body's been converted to 2 door chopped hardtop and the the front & rear ends have been "tidied up" to make them a little less "busy". The fender skirts are from evergreen plastic sheet.

jag1_zps759927a3.jpg

jag2_zps277a5183.jpg

jag_zpsfd32e6d1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Ajay

Jaguar did do a 1:1 clay of a 2 door Mark 2 & it was probably one of the most beautiful Jags to me. I think they dropped it as it would have competed against the XK in the market. Really looking forward to following this one!!

Always thought a Mark 10 would work too. Its pretty well a sled out of the factory but I don't think there is a kit of it.

Brian

This is a great idea Andy, and what a good kit base to start from. Tamiya's kit of the mk11 is great. I've often looked at it and though it would make the great basis for a custom. It looks like you have at least two of these kits so you could build one stock for comparison.

Inspector Morse would be impressed!

• 4 weeks later...

Great idea, looking really nice so far. I remembering seeing one these MKII's at the rubbish dump all complete and waiting for the crusher....would love to have rescued it as I had a similar vision to what you are doing here.

Look forward to seeing your progress.