Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt '66 Riviera: your input, please

Ace-Garageguy

I looked for a thread on this specific model and didn't see one. I've heard so much about how good the Buick nailhead is in this kit that I've become curious as to which '66 Riv kits have what else in them. I understand there's a lowrider version too. Anyone with first-hand knowledge as to which box contains which goodies? Does the lowrider version have the stock bits too??

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Bill, the Riviera, in my opinion, is one of the best kits AMT ever made. Someday soon, I'll be building mine, I hope.

The lowrider, from what I understand, does have the 425 in it as well. I'm not sure if it's pure stock or has some dress-up items, though.

As to the presence of other stock parts, I'm not sure.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

NO. This was when AMT was issuing Separate Stock, and Custom/Lowrider, etc kits

The Lowrider had Only Lowrider suspension.

I do not know how many Custom engine parts were included. I never kept any of the

ones I got. Only the Stock.

I Would love to find a few sets of those "Twin-White Stripe" tires from the Stock 66 Riv kit!!

I looked at my lowrider Riviera. Looks like most of the stock parts are there.. The options for the suspension could be reworked to appear stock. The engine is a 425 with two 4bbl carbs. The most noticeable stock parts not included...wheels,tires and steering wheel..

Fred- yes, the Lowrider Riv does include a lowrider bicycle. Sort of fussy to assemble but pretty cool looking when complete.

I've heard one or two people say that the '66 Riv Nailhead is underscale, but pretty much any other existing 1:25 Nailhead part can be made to fit on it and still look consistent, so I'm not so sure, especially since I don't have access to a 1:1 Nailhead for measurements. Even IF it is, the engraved detail on the block and the number of separate parts pretty much blow all the other ones out of the water anyway.

Chuck, I have a 401 nailhead and an auto transmission on a stand in my garage. any measurements you need I can provide. From what I have been able to determine, physically the 401 and the 425 are the same engine. The differences are internal. Let me know if I can help. The engine will eventually find its way into my 59 El Camino.

KGrHqVHJEgFCjecK7fnBQqTdBlpsQ48_20_zpsb0

• 3 months later...

I've seen the real '66 Riviera AMT/Ertl used in designing this kit. I've seen the car and met its owner at the Riviera nationals and Buick club nationals. The owner of the car, Dennis (I can not remember his last name) is a interesting character. Dennis is a retired Buick engine engineer. He has done seminars at Buick events on the history and maintenance of Buick engines. He started working with Buick around 1960, and was involved with the development of both the 425 and the dual four-barrel version of the same. He also of course worked on later Buick engines. But, he always has had special feeling for the 425 dual four-barrel. So when he retired, he looked for a Riviera with that power plant.

His Riviera is the real car shown on box of the first release of this. It is a very, very nice car. And I know Dennis found the model Ertl did of his car to be very accurate. I figure if a Buick engineer and owner of car likes the model, it's got to be a pretty good rendition.

Being a Buick guy, I've built and owned this kit and several versions of the original AMT annuals. The newer kit is by far a better kit in every way except one. The annuals depicted the Riviera GSs with buckets seat. Dennis' car is also a GS, but has a split back bench with a folding arm rest. So the Ertl version is the same. Not a big deal. I prefer a car with bucket seats over one with a bench. But this is not a big deal. The Ertl Riviera is that nice. Just like its real counter part.

Uncle Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I've always wondered about the mirror-reflected gas tank arrangement between this one and the older '69 kit - and which of the two is correct - and I've always thought the '66 would be improved a wee by filing the chromed lower fender areas just ahead of the front wheel openings for a bit more roll-under to the center, and by cobbling up the retracted headlights which are quite visible from certain angles.

Otherwise, yes. This is one of the best of that turn-of-the-century "Mueller-era" series of AMT kits, and one of my favorites. The stock version is notable not only for that fine nailhead, but also for a nice set of tires not used on any other AMT kit since, far as I know.

Are the dimensions of the engine/trans in the newer Riviera kit "spot on"?The reason I ask is that the comparable engine in the older '66 Wildcat kit is of a much larger size. The Riviera version looks lost in the engine bay of the Wildcat.

• 4 years later...
On 3/28/2014 at 2:47 PM, ZTony8 said:

Are the dimensions of the engine/trans in the newer Riviera kit "spot on"?The reason I ask is that the comparable engine in the older '66 Wildcat kit is of a much larger size. The Riviera version looks lost in the engine bay of the Wildcat.

Maybe that's due to the 'vertical' orientation of the Buick V-8's valve covers? I have an unassembled version of the Mueller-era AMT '66 Riviera's V-8, and while it's pre-painted, it would be my go-to choice for a Buick V-8 engine.

If someone has definitive measurements of a real part(s) (say, valve cover flange width and length, etc.) I can compare them to the scale engine.

It's been mentioned, but that's one of the things I don't like about that kit------the lack of headlights when the hood is opened.

134c_3.JPG.74a8520cfd49ea3a1552a538f8ca5ad9.JPG
2953836_47.jpg.ddd6ef64b95d41dc322cd8dbe3fb9138.jpg

That's one feature that's VERY conspicuous by its absence! Without those it looks 'incomplete' to me.

If/when I'd ever build this, it's one detail that MUST be in my WIP!

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Maybe that's due to the 'vertical' orientation of the Buick V-8's valve covers? I have an unassembled version of the Mueller-era AMT '66 Riviera's V-8, and while it's pre-painted, it would be my go-to choice for a Buick V-8 engine.

If someone has definitive measurements of a real part(s) (say, valve cover flange width and length, etc.) I can compare them to the scale engine.

Casey, I still have the engine/trans in my shop that is in the picture posted a few posts above this one. What all measurements would you like? Just the valve cover sizes? I can get them for you tomorrow. It's cold and rainy tonight so I'm not going back out to the shop tonight.

Edited by Toner283

No rush, really, just thought it would give us all a better answer regarding which parts are accurate.  Maybe easy(?) things to measure like the valve covers, center-to-center measurement of the end to exhaust ports, oil pan flange width and length? The kit engine I have is not yet assembled, but I could do that for a cylinder head to cylinder head max width measurement comparison if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...