Model Cars Magazine Forum

Could you make a business case for upcoming new kit subjects?

Tim, I think the '15 Mustang promo giveaway and timing is the best, fastest launch I've seen in over a decade. Ford gets it, they I'm sure helped push this thru, (Gee, if only someone used to work there :) ).

RM piggybacks hype like '60's. Really, model into space? Cool. Shades of NASA. Aspirational marketing indeed.

Plus it's a really nice replica.

I am stumped why the '10 Raptor is coming out when hard protos are first testing. That market needs new, not 4 yo product. Yes they;ll have current gen, but new Al- pickup should be groundbreaker. The well-timed snaps should be a money machine, and with careful tooling, can share lots of bits with a glue kit.

Ages ago I mentioned getting kits into dealer waiting areas. BMW, MB, etc. all have heavy merchandising, and some great deals on DC cars. A Mustang and Raptor '15-16 is what puts it into customer hands to aspire to a 1:1, and sells a kit.

We don't need to make modelers of everyone. Just sell kits (business case) to generate $ for other kits. Just like most of us, having a kit in hand also can grab new blood for the hobby, which is desperately needed for it's survival long-term (which is irrelevant to many here it seems #getoffmylawn).

2.5 F150's per minute pays for a LOT of Raptor development. Should do the same in scale.

Could I make a business case for a model, without ending up curled up in a ball and sobbing afterward? Let's find out-

Here is one that I've wanted to see for a long time, and keep in mind I'm not even a General Motors fan...

How about a '67/'68 Chevrolet C-10 short bed pickup?

One kit could provide the option of building either model year (there were a few minor differences). One version could be totally stone stock, perhaps with the option of a lowered suspension, custom wheels and engine parts, and things like that. Later versions could yield different versions of the truck- one could be a small-block 3-speed with the Fleetside bed and a base model interior, then later they could do, say, a big-block automatic Sportside with the better trim level. Either of those versions could be made into a four-wheel-drive version, or maybe even a bagged, modern style custom truck. If they really wanted to get kinky, they could make it so that they could do a GMC version somwhere along the way. Think sort of along the lines of what Revell did with their '69 Nova kits. There was already a kit of that body style Nova from AMT, but Revell put out the new '69 version, and managed to spin off a few variants, and I don't doubt they'll do more later on. The same thing could be done with this proposed C-10 tooling. For that matter, a '69-'72 GM pickup could be done from the '67/8 tooling as well. And of course, modelers would come up with all sorts of other applications for such a kit, no matter how or in what configuration the kit manufacturer produced it.

Would such a kit sell well? I think so. Like I said, I'm not even a GM guy but I'd buy a dozen of 'em. I know that 1:1 popularity doesn't always translate into scale model popularity, but I've seen so many people wishing out loud for a '67/8 style GM pickup I'd be stunned if such a kit tanked. Existing kits of "classic" pickups always seem to sell well, and I see tons of them built up in every way from box stock to completely modified, from people of all ages, so I guess I'll say it's a subject worth looking into.

Apart from that, there's plenty of room for improvement with existing kits, and a few examples have already been pointed out here. Revell has been doing that for a few years now- adding new building options and parts to several existing kits. Round 2 has gotten into that game as well, and of course Moebius has spun a '56 off of it's '55 Chrysler tooling, and there's no doubt more of that to follow from them. And so far, all of these upgraded reissues have been pretty good sellers.

Something to realize (that's been obliquely mentioned but never stated simply) is that it doesn't matter how many kits actually get built. It's only important to the manufacturer how many kits get SOLD. Judging from the wide availability of older kits on outlets like ebay, and from looking over my shoulder at my own un-built collection, I think it's a pretty safe bet to think a high percentage of kits never DO get built...at least by the original purchasers, which are the only purchasers of concern to manufacturers.

This is pretty consistent with the 1:1 kit-car and kit-plane markets too, where the skills and time rarely come together to turn aspirations into reality.

What's baffling is there is a shortbed chassis tool, a longbed chassis tool, a 71-72 cab, plus jillions of people that'd let R2 reverse engineer a 67-8 and a 69-70 cab/interior. And there's GMC cab/interior floating around too. With a weird longbox stepside and the shortbed step bed.

New tool would be awesome, but I'd think a lot could be done on the cheap to crank out dumploads of 2 in ones.

Add new tooled 6, and perhaps new SB/BB from elsewhere (duplicate tool from 66 Nova, or wherever?)

Wouldn't be Moebius level, but it's mostly there. Certainly cheaper than ground up new tool.

PS Just saw Bill's post- Agreed, which is why compelling box art for the shelf is crucial. If you don't build it, at least make the buyer look at it.

+1 on sales. Greatest kit in world irrelevant unless it sells. Lots of cynical thrown together kits sell like crazy-DOH Charger most pointedly.

Edited by keyser

PS Just saw Bill's post- Agreed, which is why compelling box art for the shelf is crucial. If you don't build it, at least make the buyer look at it

Completely agree! That's what sold us as kids. Whether it was the Tom Daniel drawn '55 Chevy box or the '57 Nomad beach scene, we all bought into that dream. A lot of sales are done on line these days, but they're still looking at a jpg of the box top.

How about a business case for a new pad-printed Parts Pack tire?....

:wub:

mXQPahVVJrgKYH89ekgJ3tw.jpg

In a family pack of 2 dozen

Packaging costs now are probably higher then the cost of the product itself

;)

Anyway.have many older amt kits from the ertl era that could use an upgrade, same for the newer Revell kits, while on the topic, why not include wheels in the packs?

What are the popular wheels rims, for Muscle cars, Hotrods trucks, etc..

Also "theme"upgrades are possible like '70s street machines, cuz guys who had them are retiring age by now,, ripe for buying stuff they remember with great joy from when they were young....

Edited by Luc Janssens

;)

Yup, like when you buy a Coke, you're paying for the marketing to sell it to you, and the packaging and transportation to get it to you. Cost of product is insignificant for brown sugar-water.

;)

Anyway.have many older amt kits from the ertl era that could use an upgrade, same for the newer Revell kits, while on the topic, why not include wheels in the packs?

What are the popular wheels rims, for Muscle cars, Hotrods trucks, etc..

Also "theme"upgrades are possible like '70s street machines, cuz guys who had them are retiring age by now,, ripe for buying stuff they remember with great joy from when they were young....

I love the 70's street machine/street freak look, I'm not gonna lie.

They could do Cragars, Ansen Slot mags, Keystones, Centerlines, etc... You''d have a winner, the field is wide open, since the MRC and Arii wheel and tire sets are getting rare as hen's teeth these days. They always sold well, I'd love to see something similar back on the shelves.

How about a '67/'68 Chevrolet C-10 short bed pickup?

One kit could provide the option of building either model year (there were a few minor differences). One version could be totally stone stock, perhaps with the option of a lowered suspension, custom wheels and engine parts, and things like that. Later versions could yield different versions of the truck- one could be a small-block 3-speed with the Fleetside bed and a base model interior, then later they could do, say, a big-block automatic Sportside with the better trim level. Either of those versions could be made into a four-wheel-drive version, or maybe even a bagged, modern style custom truck. If they really wanted to get kinky, they could make it so that they could do a GMC version somwhere along the way... For that matter, a '69-'72 GM pickup could be done from the '67/8 tooling as well. And of course, modelers would come up with all sorts of other applications for such a kit, no matter how or in what configuration the kit manufacturer produced it.

Would such a kit sell well? I think so. Like I said, I'm not even a GM guy but I'd buy a dozen of 'em. I know that 1:1 popularity doesn't always translate into scale model popularity, but I've seen so many people wishing out loud for a '67/8 style GM pickup I'd be stunned if such a kit tanked.

Chuck, gotta agree with you on all the points you make regarding the 67 - 72 GM trucks. If planned out correctly, there are so many possible variations off the basic platform, as you described. If Moebius' bumpside Fords turn out to be hits, (and looking at the current 33 page discussion thread in the truck section, I think they will be) I'm crossing my fingers that this could be their next light truck subject.

Chuck, gotta agree with you on all the points you make regarding the 67 - 72 GM trucks. If planned out correctly, there are so many possible variations off the basic platform, as you described. If Moebius' bumpside Fords turn out to be hits, (and looking at the current 33 page discussion thread in the truck section, I think they will be) I'm crossing my fingers that this could be their next light truck subject.

A no-brainer for Revell, and I think such a subject would be a huge hit!

With all of the requests, I'm surprised no one asked for a '49 bullet nose Stude. Coupe, convertible or wagon. Full factory stock.

Don't know if any ran in NASCAR sansancioned races. But, the customizing options are almost end less. Gasser, Salt-lake racer, Suedo-NASCAR, full customs, the list goes on. And as Robberbaron suggested it could also later be modified into a '50 and a '51. I'd probably get a dozen myself. :D

Edited by darquewanderer

I love Studebakers. Don't know how much of a market there is for them, but I'd buy a few. Really want a '51 Commander of some sort. And I'd also like a Champ pickup with the old Dodge slab side box. Presently I'm building AMT's most recent Avanti kit. And despite having an older AMT '53 laying around, I plan on buying another with upcoming reissue. I'd also love to see someone do a '63 or '64 Gran Turismo Hawk. Though a '62 would be OK too. And an odd one I know I'll never see, would a '64 Daytona, in convertible, hardtop, or wagon form. Love Stude's sliding roof wagons. Again I know I'll never see the '64 Daytonas. But I can dream? Right?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

With all of the requests, I'm surprised no one asked for a '49 bullet nose Stude. Coupe, convertible or wagon. Full factory stock.

Don't know if any ran in NASCAR sansancioned races. But, the customizing options are almost end less. Gasser, Salt-lake racer, Suedo-NASCAR, full customs, the list goes on. And as Robberbaron suggested it could also later be modified into a '50 and a '51. I'd probably get a dozen myself. :D

I'd be on board with that! IIRC, ERTL announced a bullet nose Stude as an all new kit sometime around 2000. When ERTL was bought by Racing Champions, the kit never got produced, which is a shame. I was really looking forward to it. A good kit subject for Moebius to consider.

I'd be on board with that! IIRC, ERTL announced a bullet nose Stude as an all new kit sometime around 2000. When ERTL was bought by Racing Champions, the kit never got produced, which is a shame. I was really looking forward to it. A good kit subject for Moebius to consider.

I don't know... Back then I thought it was an interesting choice since the 1950 would have had a flathead six. The 1951 was the first year for their V8. Someone had posted a bunch of Studebaker racecar photos and they all had "V8" painted on them, so they must've been '51s. So that would be the year that Moebius would produce to be able to spin off race cars and such.

We did get a diecast version from Johnny Lightning right when Playing Mantis got sold. It had a pretty limited distribution. Model King queried modelers a ways back (prior to Round 2) if he should do a run of those. There was no enthusiasm so he passed on the project.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that a good case could be made for the DW12 IndyCar.

I know what most will say: Too narrow of a market, not enough interest, etc.

The DW12 body will stay in use and production for many more years. I would guess that the DW12 will be rolled into the Indy Lites program once that it is retired from current use.

IMO, a well executed kit could sell well, if it is promoted, and promoted in the right ways.

I'm not talking about showing it off at the next trade show, and hoping that Doug's Hobby and Train shop in Podunk, Utah orders a case of them. I'm talking about loading it up in gift shop style trailers, and taking it from race to race. It would take some hands-on marketing and selling, not just popping open a trailer and waiting for the masses to deposit cash into your coffers. Possibly have a "build your own" at the event, or have a pro builder along building a kit at a table in front of the trailer. They could have display cases of pro built models to inspire would-be builders.

The kit could be sold by the teams in their shops and souvineer trailers, by Dallara's shop in Speedway, and also in retail stores with their event merchandise. The race tracks could sell it year round, and it could also be offered on ebay by the manufacturer, as a "never say no" marketing plan.

Again, it would take an active marketing plan, enthusiastic people selling at the retail level, hard work, and smart marketing, along with an attractive price point.

There are what, 15 teams, and 35 cars? My goodness, what a marketing opportunity! Helio's #3 at the 2014 Indy 500 was a 'one off' in traditional Pennzoil colors. Kurt Busch ran the 2014 Indy 500 too. No one would buy a model of those cars?

This is a double edged sword: Unique 'one-offs' for each race would be a marketing wonder...but also, what do you do with 400 kits of Pippa Mann's ride, if it doesn't sell? Packaging each of these rides could be an obstacle, IMO.

Down sides: Once the DW12 is retired, the tooling is dead, unless there is some sort of revival 20 years from now. Licensing could be difficult; I would guess that any sponsor or, even Dallara, could throw a wrench into project, and ruin it.

There were over 300,000 fans at the Indy 500 on race day alone, and an estimated 100,000+ on Carb day before the race. Think of the marketing!