Model Cars Magazine Forum

When I Was Young & Dumb: Building the Unbuildable '56 Chevy!

John Goschke

Here are some vintage shots of a circa-1977 build of Revell's notoriously "unbuildable" '56 Chevy two door sedan kit. Built in trade to the owner of the real car for a group of about 25 old, rebuildable models, including a '58 Ford hardtop. Got it finished after destroying one body trying to fix a warp. Guys who remember this kit from the '60s no doubt remember the cool artwork of a green custom with the door open that tempted them to buy, then discovered the nightmare of trying to build it!

I made the job more difficult by consenting to build it as the owner's six cylinder, Powerglide car rather than the V-8 stick the kit came with. Also made the hood, trunk, and the (out of scale) BelAir emblems from scratch. Please excuse that crazy antenna!

$_57.JPG

Revell_56_Chev_001_lr-vi.jpg

Revell_56_Chev_002_lr-vi.jpg

Revell_56_Chev_003_lr-vi.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys! These shots bring back a lot of memories, some good, some not so good. A lot of stuff has happened since then, and I'd like to think I'm gained a bit of wisdom in the intervening years. Glad to say I'm still here and still building!

I owned a '56 Chevy 210 2 door sedan around 1978. I bought this kit and the then new AMT '51 Chevy to build a replica of my primer gray 6 cylinder / powerglide car. I didn't get far before the 'Ghosts of '57 Nomads Past' came to the top of my memory and I put the boxes away, I still have them today. Fortunately there is a much better version of a '56 2 door sedan to build from today!

My nemethis back in my youth was the '57 Nomad. You know the one with the Hollingworth Nomad sitting on the beach scene. My favorite box art of all time, that would lure me back to that box of parts never expected to got together to make a reasonable replica of a Nomad. As a kid, I'd see that kit on the shelf again, and reason with myself that I was a year older and should be able to build one this time. Well, it always resulted in disaster and I never got one done. Not even the one I started as an adult. That one is still in the box too!

So I went to my first GSL about 2001 and the big panel discussion was the staff of the original Revell. In the question and answer period I got up and chided them a bit about my youthful experience with that kit. They took it in good nature and we got a few laughs. After the event, Bob Paeth seeked me out and spent the rest of the evening telling me the entire story behind that kit, and being on the team that brought it to market back in 1968. So going back to the next GSL two years later, I brought my box top along and had Bob sign it for me. Little did I know as a kid that I'd actually meet the people behind the model kits! The little kid in me rejoiced!

That is one sharp car .

I came across one of these cars in a box of built up models from a family friend. I was a young kid at the time . The green paint looked good to me so I jacked it up to 4x4 level. It was the late 70'S early 80'S after all . The idea came from a 4X4 Elcamino we drove by on the way home from church. The guy was 5 years ahead of the 4X4 truck craze here.

that's an extremely nice build and clearly illustrates the fact that even a bad kit can be built to a high standard if you simply have the skill and patience to work on it. it was a difficult kit even when new; but difficulty overcome is a victory.

I remember building that kit as a youth. All the opening doors were the real challenge for me and the working steering. If I remember correctly it had all the options on chrome trim for any model 110, 210 or Bel Air. Way beyond my skill level. Parts were around in boxes for years. The top was cut off in an attempt to graft it to a Revell '55.

Yours is the best I have seen of this kit, nice model.