Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

I'm not saying this to be smart a**. But, I bet Dave reads the comments on Moebuis truck kits in the truck section. The F-100 kits have been reviewed there. That would be a good place to ask the above questions. I too would like to know the answers to them.

The reason I asked when we might expect them, and asked it here is because it was one of these threads where I asked if there were plans for a shortbed F-150 other than the M K release and he answered with a simple yes, just got curious when we might see it.

The reason I asked when we might expect them, and asked it here is because it was one of these threads where I asked if there were plans for a shortbed F-100 other than the M K release and he answered with a simple yes, just got curious when we might see it.

The MK '70 SWB is coming this month.   There is a regular issue '72 Sport Custom coming in spring, but no indication if it is a SWB or LWB...

Second test shots are here - most revisions have been made - still several items to be fixed - 3rd test shots will probably be 45 days out, as we have Chinese new year in February that will result in about a 2 week shut-down..

This one, I am waiting for! Again, thanks for keeping us up to date Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok , here's a couple quick shots of a second test shot.... This is one that I'm whacking together for photos - probably going to be on the box somewhere..paint is pretty much done - bare-metal, next..

Once it starts looking a bit more like a car, I'll post some more photos..

Regarding schedule, the factory is just getting back from the Chinese New year holiday shut-down.. we're waiting for another round of test shots - probably won't see them for a minimum of 30 days.. If they get everything right then we can schedule production..

I'd like to think we could get kits on the water before 1st of May.. let's see how the next batch of test shots look then I'll know better, just when to expect finished product!

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

:D Ho yes that looks awesome get them on the way I have got to have 3 or 4 of them lot's of ideas rolling around on this one.!!! Nice Very Nice.!!

X2   And Dave, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.           Jeff.        Oh, I'm sorry, I almost forgot. Moebius Rules because of people like you Dave!!!

OK. Reversed the top image (but kept the quarter panel emblem as it was) and lined them up. What do you think?

-01a.thumb.JPG.f940ff47c53dbb47397a7fb7d

:wub: Maybe the top of the rear wheel opening could be slightly flatter and aligned more with the body crease, but that's it for me. I'm assuming the windshield will be molded with the trim around it. And again, will the rectangular trim on the grille be a separate part?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

OK. Reversed the top image (but kept the quarter panel emblem as it was) and lined them up. What do you think?

-01a.thumb.JPG.f940ff47c53dbb47397a7fb7d

:wub: Maybe the top of the rear wheel opening could be slightly flatter and aligned more with the body crease, but that's it for me. I'm assuming the windshield will be molded with the trim around it. And again, will the rectangular trim on the grille be a separate part?

Dam that looks right on let them fly !!!!!!!

Nice looking body!  The only two things I see, and they are both pretty small, are the top of the rear wheel arch (Mentioned above)  and the top back corner of the rear seat side window opening.  It looks like a much larger radius than the actual car used.  It kind of makes the roof look funny in that spot, even though the exterior roof dimensions themselves look spot on.  On the prototype, the top of the window is already flat and parallel to the roof when it reaches the rear of the door opening.  One the Moebius body, the window opening is still curving at that point.  It makes the rear side window take on a different shape than the real one.  Holding up the glass insert would confirm that pretty quickly.  That would take a bit of work to fix, but it would be worth it to get the profile right.  It looks almost as good as the Pontiacs right now! (And the Pontiac is probably the benchmark for the new era of kits)   A couple of tweaks for production, and you would have a pretty strong contender for best kit of 2016, no matter what Revell cooked up.  As is, it still looks like a pretty decent kit.  There is a lot of nice work here, and I can already picture some nice Comets turning up n the contest tables this year.  Considering that these things were basic, compact, economy cars that started with the 200 inch inline 6 and could go all the way up to a 427 powered drag strip terror, there is almost no wrong way to build one.  This kit should have some serious legs when it finally gets here.  (And hopefully AMT will wise up and reissue their '64 curbside kit, now that a suitable chassis and engine compartment are available... ) Kitbashers start rejoicing now!  No need to goof around with Mustang and Fairlane chassis any more.  The '64 and '65 Comets were pretty much the same car underneath.  

Looks great.  I might break my hiatus from kit buying, just to try this one out!

Thanks for showing this Dave.  I didn't think that Pontiac could be topped, but you're taking a pretty good shot at it.  Keep up the good work.  

Dave, the Comet looks very nice. I think everybody is going to be happy.

As a follow-up like the '69 F100, might be nice to get a kit using the 200ci 6 engine. Maybe even a convertible version sometime too. I like seeing multiple versions of the same basic kit. Hopefully it helps the bottom line to help pay for new projects.

We received some beautiful kits from you in 2015.

Without going into details, I can only pass along that Dave and his team worked really, really hard on both the overall proportions and the details of the Cyclone body,   Everyone is welcome to their opinion and comments, of course, but I do recommend holding off making any final/definitive judgments until you get the actual kit body in your hands.  

Just my 2 cents.....TIM 

I now  see the different rooflines, and the model does nail the Cyclone roofline perfectly.  I took the laptop over to a neighbor's garage last night and held it up to a regular Comet, thinking they were the same.  Sorry 'bout that.  I even checked Wikipedia, and it listed a 2 door coupe as the only two door body style, so I made sure I wasn't comparing a coupe to a sedan, or something dumb like that.  I never dreamed that FoMoCo had snuck another body style in!  Even the owner had assured me that 2 door Comets were all the same body style!  Ooops!

Now, I have a dilemma.  This guy saw the model, and he wants me to build a pair for him, to match his Comet, and his Wife's Comet.  Dave, Please tell me that a regular Comet, will be a future version of the kit!  Please!  I am going to have to modify the roof to make the Comet version.  Looking at it, the upper part of the roof looks the same to me.  I think the main difference is the shape of the side window opening.  If so, that would be possible to fix by filing and filling, making some window trim from Evergreen strip and replacing the kit glass with some clear sheet.  I know the grill will need to be changed too, but I have heard of an aftermarket possibility, so I was not too worried about that.  I will need to figure out a 200 c.i.d. six and a three on the tree shifter, plus do the bench seat in the base pattern, but I had already planned on those small bits.  I am praying for photo etch, because that will cover the different trim levels.  (and the grill) There goes my hiatus from modeling! although I told him I would need a couple of years for each build.  His Wife was watching my Mother while I was in his garage, so he understands what I am going through.  He is retired, so he has plenty of patience.  He already has a model of his old Starliner that I built for him when he sold it.  He wants the Comets, now that he knows there is a kit available.  The real trick is going to be building a model of his Comet.  The Wife's is done and running, but his is in many pieces, and is waiting for paint and chrome when the weather gets a bit nicer.  They are stitching the interior parts right now.  (She worked for a custom upholstery shop for 44 years and has the machines to do the job.  She did mostly boats and furniture, but she can whip out some nice car seats too!)  She says the seats will look and measure exactly the same as stock, but be a bit more easy on the derriere due to better grades of fill and cushion material.  I wasn't planning on taking any projects as I sold off my stuff, but now, I guess I will complete two more builds.  His is a 289 two barrel, and he has the numbers matching motor restored perfectly, but he will probably drop in his hopped up 4bbl motor with some chrome bits, a lumpy cam and headers just for a bit more fun.  He also has some Cragars, and some Keystones that will fit the car, but he would like to go with torq thrusts when he runs it on the street.  (Yes, he has the original wheels and new Cokers for it.  He can stick them on at a moment's notice)  The car was black on black, but he is thinking of going to a different color.  His Wife's is Pecan Frost (Mercury's name for Prarie Bronze)  

Now I am really looking forward to this kit.  He called me at about 6:30 in the Morning to tell me he wanted two models for himself, and I have been planning the builds ever since.  If a non-Cyclone version is in the making, then I will wait for that.  Otherwise, I'll order three Cyclone  kits and start hacking.  

Thanks again for posting, Dave, and I'm sorry about the oops on the roofline.  BTW, is that Olive Mist/Ivy Green?  That looks nice.  This kit is going to be KILLER!