Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster

YBlock292

This 1962 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster is an AMT kit from 2001 with steerable front wheels, white wall inserts etc.To underline the elegant line of the TBird, I put the "tonneau cover" in place and felt free not to use the vent vindows, which doesn't match the historic car. But I think it looks much better this way, like the cars some years later in the 60s which had only one big door glass without vent vindows.

Color is "Pure Red" (Tamiya) - the best thing that can happen to a 62 Sport Rodster, according to my opinion.

In the engine compartement there was not enough space left over for the Ford-typical surge tank when I had installed the 3 x 2 carbs along with the big oval air cleaner.

62tbird106judp.jpg

62tbird037fur0.jpg

62tbird01q6uwq.jpg

62tbird04m6uve.jpg

62tbird063tu4r.jpg

62tbird09w6ua0.jpg

62tbird12n9uo9.jpg

62tbird1456uqe.jpg

62tbird13b5ue4.jpg

62tbird11wouqt.jpg

Great looking build. A friend of mine had one of these in the mid 60's in black. As I recall Ford would mount the surge tank between the radiator and the air cleaner much as the Air Conditioning compressor is mounted. As I recall the surge tank had a tube running from the bottom of the tank to the intake manifold and contained the thermostat. The top radiator hose ran from the top of the radiator to the surge tank. This was done to make the surge tank higher than the radiator so that no air bubbles would be trapped in the cooling system.

I'd been kind of following along in your WIP thread, and I could tell this was going to be fantastic when finished. Great job!

Quick question: what is the Tamiya part number for "pure red"? I know they have about 5 non-metallic reds, but I didn't see one by that name. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ooooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!! I have two '62 Sports Roadsters built. A White one and a Black one. I love that red too, I did my Hardtop in Red on Red. My next Sports Roadster is going to be red, as it is so cool, and it is the best color for the car in my opinion.

Thank You guys!

Monty: Tamiya "pure red" is TS-86

Best regards

Ludwig

Ludwig, thanks for the info. I wanted to verify because I found several pictures on Google that confirm that TS-86 is indeed Pure Red, as you said. On their reference chart, however, they call TS-86 Brilliant Red.

tamiya-ts.jpg

Either way, after seeing how it looks on your 'Bird, I'll definitely be getting some of this for future projects.

Very good looking Thunderbird. I saw one of these with that Tonneau Cover a couple of years ago after it had gone through a "Full Restoration". It was very nice and so is this. Fantastic work overall. Sharp job with BMF and smooth paint job as well. Nice work.