Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM is off to a good start in ruining the Camaro again

They get heavier and heavier, but the insides get smaller and smaller!

I've seen a lot of people blame Federal safety standards for this, but that doesn't explain why it is a problem only afflicting American cars. Last year I rented a Buick Lacrosse, and I had many of the same complaints, hard to see out of it with the same high mounted slit type windows, hard to get in and out of and not really a lot of seating room for a relatively large 4 door sedan.

I think this is all about US designers. My Dad just bought a 2014 Nissan Versa, obviously not a performance car but half the weight, and could fit inside the Camaro it still manages to seat 3 adults, a teenager and a baby seat comfortably. Even better you can actually see out of it.

My cousin had a Versa that might have been a year old when she had a minor fender bender with it, which totalled it out (I think the airbags went off). She bought a '12 Chevy Cruze to replace it and quite frankly, I feel more comfortable having her in the Cruze than in that tin can Versa, especially since she also works in elder care and carts old folks around to appointments and such with it.

My cousin had a Versa that might have been a year old when she had a minor fender bender with it, which totalled it out (I think the airbags went off). She bought a '12 Chevy Cruze to replace it and quite frankly, I feel more comfortable having her in the Cruze than in that tin can Versa, especially since she also works in elder care and carts old folks around to appointments and such with it.

You are comparing a car 800lbs heavier, a bigger car will always feel safer. Anyway my point was this move to big, heavy, tiny windowed cars has little to do with Federal mandates and a lot to do with the styling choices American automakers have chosen to pursue. European and Japanese cars sold here have to meet the same standards, but do not suffer nearly as badly in the weight, space and vision issues.

You are comparing a car 800lbs heavier, a bigger car will always feel safer. Anyway my point was this move to big, heavy, tiny windowed cars has little to do with Federal mandates and a lot to do with the styling choices American automakers have chosen to pursue. European and Japanese cars sold here have to meet the same standards, but do not suffer nearly as badly in the weight, space and vision issues.

Exactly.

My wife was telling me how her crazy dad, while up in Washington circa late 80's bought her this crazy race car when she turned 16.

She would try and drive it around town but due to several spin outs, etc.. had it de-tuned to 350HP. The beast had like 500 prior to that!

It belonged to some racer/mechanic who could no longer race due to severe injury.

Anyways we scoured the net and this was about as close as she remembered. But hers had a big blue stripe vs red. Its my favorite Camero model;

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/10/05/school-car-1967-trans-am-chevy-camaro/

Edited by aurfalien

Both the Cruze and Versa for the past four years are about the same for safety ratings, both were named top safety pick in 2013 according to IIHS , the Versa scores lower in one category compared to the Cruze, but they are same in all the rest.

Edited by martinfan5

Looks great.
I've often wondered, of all the classic cars in garages, how many were not liked by their current owners when the car was new?
We (as a whole) are so conservative. Especially on car styling. I see the new Camaro restyle so slight, it hardly noticeable (in my eye). Just minor tweaking. Not this Gawd awful restyle everyone makes it out to be.
If I had a dollar for every new car that the masses claim to dislike, I would be rich.

Well, I wouldn't stereo type it like that.

I don't find this to be a rule from my own personal experience.

For example, I was a big fan and die hard of the VW type 1 water pumpers from Rabbit/GTI to the Scirroco.

The type 2 redesigns came out and I liked em a lot as did most ppl.

The new Vette, totally killer and better then its predecessor and I find many whom I meet daily agree.

In terms of the new Cameros, totally bloated, unsure why its so BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH big!

But then again I've always been more attracted to smaller frames. Not stream or sleek, just smaller or rather not so big.

Picture the new Camera shrunk down a bit, say 1:.90 rather then 1:1 and straighten out the front a bit. In its current form, its had 1 too many super sized happy meals.

Picture the new Camera shrunk down a bit, say 1:.90 rather then 1:1 and straighten out the front a bit. In its current form, its had 1 too many super sized happy meals.

That'll never happen right there at least with the current materials and technology. Those cars are packed with stuff like bracing and safety as well as creature comfort components from one end of that car to the other. While I'm not a fan of the layout of the interior and the lack of blind spot vision(or the fact that you have to remove the dang windshield to get the HVAC case out!!) in these cars I do see a reason for their size and subsequent weight. I had an 89 Mustang for years (and I know this is like comparing apples to oranges but stick with me here on the point) that clocked in at 3133 lbs. It was light , small and after I got done with it , fast. If I ever were to have gotten into a real crash with that thing it would have been over. The newer Camaros and Mustangs are bigger cars and alot heavier to allow for surviving the same crash that the older ones would not have.

I do wish there were better materials and better technology available to where they didn't have to be so big but thats the way it is for now.

Edited by mustang1989

Okay, (1): who hated the Camaro before the 2010 redesign, including the seemingly never ending spy shots through the latter half of the 2000's?

(2): Who liked the Camaro up to the above mentioned redesign?
(3): Who liked the 2010 Camaro redesign, but not diggin' this latest design reveal?

Ok, well these pics were leaked on CNBC this morning...........these are screen shots. We'll have nice clear pictures of the car in just a matter of hours when it's unveiled on Belle Isle in Detroit.

01.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Personally, I like what I'm seeing so far. As I said better pics will be forthcoming, which will give us a clearer picture of all the subtleties in its shape. I'd say it's a very nice evolution of the last style, but styling is subjective and there will be those that simply won't like it. If there is one styling element I don't like...........it's the spoiler. Not bad, but I'd rather have the traditional "ducktail" spoiler instead of what I see.

Agree totally. That's why I will never get rid of mine. I'd rather be buried in it. Granted mine doesn't look near as good as the pic, but it's still what is.

This is the Camaro I wish they were still making...

1970camaro_zpsyw6oct6c.jpg

They'll never top that design. :wub:

Edited by Petetrucker07

Not one to fuss about looks. Do know the new one is smaller and feels a lot smaller and lighter driving it. Rides much smoother as the older oners were very rough. The older cars did stick really well but just rode extremely rough and felt like driving a big heavy brick. This one is a lot like the new Corvette in that it feels effortess in hard driving with a nice comfortable ride. As far as room I'm 6 ft and have plenty of head and leg room in the older car. This one is smaller inside but still I have plenty of head and leg room. The visibility is a bit better in the A pillar areas. It gets the 450Hp LT1 out of the vette with no detuning so more low end tq and more hp than the older versions.

This is the Camaro I wish they were still making...

1970camaro_zpsyw6oct6c.jpg

They'll never top that design. :wub:

With the exception of the wheels, I agree.

Ok, well these pics were leaked on CNBC this morning...........these are screen shots. We'll have nice clear pictures of the car in just a matter of hours when it's unveiled on Belle Isle in Detroit.

01.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Personally, I like what I'm seeing so far. As I said better pics will be forthcoming, which will give us a clearer picture of all the subtleties in its shape. I'd say it's a very nice evolution of the last style, but styling is subjective and there will be those that simply won't like it. If there is one styling element I don't like...........it's the spoiler. Not bad, but I'd rather have the traditional "ducktail" spoiler instead of what I see.

This looks better than what the op posted.

I prefer the Baby 'Maro. B)

1001phr_57_o+1968_chevy_camaro+1973_chev

What a cool little car.

I like Vegas too. Would love to see a new tool kit, but that will NEVER happen, so would be glad just to see a reissue of a stock one.