Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post your posies! (Two tone street rod paint jobs)

DaveM

Back in the late Eighties, you couldn't throw a brick at a street rod event without hitting a car with "Posies" style paint. Everybody had two tone paint jobs separated by the car's belt line, or a similar trim line. Over the years it evolved a bit, from straight two color jobs, to cars with a stripe at the color break, or graphics, flames or tribal markings worked into the color line, but the basic character of having the lower body one color and the roof, hood and trunk lid another, remained.

Now, you don't see as many of these paint jobs. They were a little bit overdone back then, and probably tend to look a bit dated today because of it. They were used on early rods, fat fendered rods and even newer cars from the '50s and '60s. I thought it would be fun to collect a few pictures of cars with these paint jobs, both scale models, and full size cars. My reason is that I have some great paint colors left over from various projects, but not quite enough to do full cars. Some of these colors might end up on a street rod as the top color of a 2 tone. My other reason is that I'm old, cantankerous, and I remember most of the cars looking like that when I was young and happy. :P

Here are some I found while searching for inspiration. (You have to word your search carefully lest you end up with a bunch of watercolors of flowers)

3483938123_a423e7272e_z.jpg

dalton-ga-cruise-in-1666.jpg

The only model I ever painted this way was a Revell Volkswagen Cabriolet. I will have to dig it out and finish it someday, as it has been in a box for twenty years.

The USN tri-color scheme doesn't remind me of Posies (or vice-versa, perhaps), but the paint jobs seen on some Royal Navy Sea Furies and Seafires and Fireflies sure do:

fury-wj288-main.jpg

Edited by Snake45

• 4 years later...

Someone told me I’d painted a Posie’s style paint job...so here I am reading about them!  

I like the look, I started reading the hot rod mags back in the 90s where monochromatic everything was all the rage...So these look pretty fresh to my eyes even though they were a fad from before the lime-green and bright yellow pro-street whatevers that were popular back then

B8E4A5B3-4069-4AAF-A850-E0514408FCCC.thumb.jpeg.e7b42109b46ca63e570c72d2a9fbc281.jpeg