Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

RC2 reissued it in 2003, so it's only a matter of time before Round2 reissues it again.

I don't think showcars sold too well for them.  I bought a couple of sealed Surf Woodies really cheap at shows a few months after their release last time.  The big secret is that a really cool chassis sits under it!

I don't think showcars sold too well for them.  I bought a couple of sealed Surf Woodies really cheap at shows a few months after their release last time.  The big secret is that a really cool chassis sits under it!

What an ugly reissue.........

R2 does a better job than RC2 did......retro box, display stand and go back to duel skinny slicks on rear and I'll buy two more.

Maybe a 'Surf Hearst' box and display would be good. 

Per John Greczula at Round 2, he has confirmed our speculation in earlier in this thread that the '70 Monte is indeed a straight reissue of the late 1990's tool as designed by John Mueller.

It turns out that this truly spectacular, all-new new box art, first unveiled at the 2015 NNL Nats a week ago, was developed by former AMT commercial artist Don Greer. As John told me, "I'm very excited to be able to work with an original Kat from AMT."..DSC 0093.

I've always felt that the "Mueller era" (as John G. calls it) AMT-Ertl kits were heavily compromised by poor box art from RC/Ertl that didn't even begin to convey how clever and well-engineered these kits were. It seems oh-so-appropriate to me that the Monte Carlo tool is now getting this retro-box-art treatment (along with other previous Round 2 reissues like the '60 Starliner, the '62 T-Bird, and the '62 Catallina), and I hope other Mueller era kits (such as the excellent '68 El Camino in both its restored stock and street machine versions) get a similar treatment in the future.

Best regards....TIM

Per John Greczula at Round 2, he has confirmed our speculation in earlier in this thread that the '70 Monte is indeed a straight reissue of the late 1990's tool as designed by John Mueller.

It turns out that this truly spectacular, all-new new box art, first unveiled at the 2015 NNL Nats a week ago, was developed by former AMT commercial artist Don Greer. As John told me, "I'm very excited to be able to work with an original Kat from AMT."..DSC 0093.

I've always felt that the "Mueller era" (as John G. calls it) AMT-Ertl kits were heavily compromised by poor box art from RC/Ertl that didn't even begin to convey how clever and well-engineered these kits were. It seems oh-so-appropriate to me that the Monte Carlo tool is now getting this retro-box-art treatment (along with other previous Round 2 reissues like the '60 Starliner, the '62 T-Bird, and the '62 Catallina), and I hope other Mueller era kits (such as the excellent '68 El Camino in both its restored stock and street machine versions) get a similar treatment in the future.

Best regards....TIM

That box art is gorgeous, and will no doubt sell some kits. However, they need to start tooling up some new kits, as I have just about everything they made that I want. I am not a big showrod collector.

Amazing what box art can do in getting me to buy a model. The Ertl era kits with their photograph box art in particular turned me cold to a lot of kits. The old, maybe less accurate, book art art has convinced me to buy several models I passed over during the Ertl era reissues. Have I been disappointed when I opened the boxes and found the model may not be exactly like the one shown on the box art? Yes and no. In my mind I've always know a that some of the kits didn't look as good as they did on the box art. Despite that, I was and am still okay with it. For the most part. There have been one or two that were disappointing. But, in general I've gotten about what I've expected. And been happy.

Speaking of disappointments when looking the box art. Old Palmer kits. Sometime the box art would be great. But, never the kits. But, I got enough Palmer kits as a kid to know what was in the box, and not buy Palmer kits. I rarely found that to be a problem with AMT, MPC, Monogram, or Revell kits. And so far, never with Moebius.

Speaking of disappointments when looking the box art. Old Palmer kits. Sometime the box art would be great. But, never the kits.  But, I got enough Palmer kits as a kid to know what was in the box, and not buy Palmer kits.

And today we buy Palmer kits just for the box art!   :P

I would love to see the '68 El Camino back in good box art.  I would love it even more if they could kill the vinyl top and fix those sink marks on the pillars.  The rest of that kit was superb!h

Excellent points Dave.  I have often thought this myself.  On my build of this kit, I got around the sink marks with some two-part filer...but the point is, I (we) shouldn't have to.  And I generally prefer to have my kits sans vinyl roofs - thus giving the builder the option of doing this himself (often with better scale appearance as a result).  

Also, little known is that the Street Machine version of this kit had a different pickup bed with mild tubs added - done very tastefully.  This is a great example of the type of detail and attention to detail of the Mueller-AMT/Ertl era kits had, that the AMT-Ertl/Racing Champions era box art approach totally failed to convey.  

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Round 2 is going to make me a bit poorer in '16! This is some of the NICEST box art I've seen come from a kit manufacturer in years! RC2's box art was simply TERRIBLE, and I do believe that really good box art can sell the most mediocre of kits.

The '68 El Camino I believe also would be a smash hit with some terrific box art. I have the first issue, and yes, I would like to see them eliminate the vinyl roof texture! El Camino's look much better (to me) without it!

Hey Man

I just saw this over on FB man on a very big model car page, does anyone know if this is true or not??

"Round2 are gonna reissue all 11 3-1 kits from 1958. My first model car kit was the 58 Ford"

Peace

How about some one posting it here ? For those of us that don't face plant. :huh: For that matter, how about some new kit photos from NNL ?

Edited by Greg Myers