Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

Here are some pics: 

1) Samples of the Custom parts that came with the original '69. These were never in the reissues. Here are the custom wheels, separate hood pins, custom grilles, clear covers for the grilles, blank for the back seat, and custom seats. The hood shown is an original '69- you'll notice that is has stock turn signal indicators on it, which never were on any of the reissues. I think these wheels would be an improvement over the 6-lug custom wheels that made it into the last few reissues. The seats are two- piece Klingon Kruiser specials, but I like them for some odd reason. If they have "found" or are "restoring" parts, these are likely the new ones we'll get. 

2) Top to bottom: original '69 body, "68" body from '70's reissues, restored '69 body. Notice the original body has a moulding cast into the upper edge. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a pinstripe, or a factory moulding; either way, it would be a royal pain to paint or foil. It would be best if Round 2 left this off. The '68 body has no marker lens on the front fender (like the fiberglass-fendered Super Stocks), a '68 marker lens at the rear, and '69 grille and taillight areas. Also, the '69 interiors came with these kits. The gray body is the retool into a Formula S. It would probably make the most sense and be the best move for Round 2 to leave the body as-is for the new issue. 

3) Close shot of the original '69 body, showing the moulding. Again, I wouldn't want to attempt painting or foiling this! It must have been done for the benefit of the promo way back when. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's one more pic. The car at the left has the original and reissue chassis and engine bay. The car at the right shows the engine bay from an MPC '71-'76 Duster or Dart. You can see that the inner fenders are simply the wrong shape for an A Body in the one in the left- at least they did this more accurately did this for the Duster, Demon and Dart Sport kits. Going with the stuff from a Revell '68 Dart would be even better. 

image.jpg

I know that kit!!!!!

A number of years ago I took the challenge of building some old Lindbergh kits into something decent. 

This is that same kit you showed box art for.....maybe some minor tooling or additions. Cool ideas.

FORD31PUc-vi.jpg

FORD31PU-vi.jpg

fordrat.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

Could someone please post a front and back photo of the six-lug wheels? They might be good for the '67 Chevy pickup I have in the works.

Here's a pic of the mags in the current tool. You can also find these in MPC '69 Firebirds from the early '80's- present. They were in the '73 Cougar for awhile, but I think more recent issues had the vintage mags restored.

image.jpg

Thanks Bill! Now if I removed the centers and trimmed them I could make six-lug spiders (if there ever was such a thing?).

I suppose you could. They're pretty thick, so you'd probably want to grind the backs down a bit first. 

For that matter, I suppose you could just cut away the "center cap" for lack of a better word, and add them to whatever other wheels you want, to make a 6 lug. I have taken elements from different wheels and combined them to get what I need on occasion. I'm glad somebody would find these useful. 

I have the Ertl reissue of the Barracuda. I did not like the engine compartment, molded exhaust and rear. I cut and trimmed a Dukes Charger chassis for it. Gas tank not correct, but it looks better now. I should finish it. 

Edited by Sledsel

Here's a SuperStock style '69 'cuda that I built using Bill Coulter's original c. 1980 Scale Auto Enthusiast article on his Sox and Martin and Dodge Dart Super Stockers.  I remember working on it around 1985 but I didn't finish it then.  I don't recall when I did finish it, probably sometime in the early-mid 1990's.  It was mostly a out-of-the-box build other than the wheels and tires which came from the mid 1980's Monogram ProStock kits.  I've always liked this model; it would be great to see it eventually reissued as a propoer 1968 vintage SuperStock, although I don't really expect that will ever happen.   Cheers...TIM..   (five more images here....)  DSC 0524... 

Nice builds! I'll add a few. These are oldies, perhaps not as nice...

The blue car was built when the late '80's reissue, retooled into a 383 Formula S came out. This will show you the stock version of the kit that's currently available.

The red car was built from the "Avenger" Cuda, which was out in the early '80's. This has the '69 front and rear treatments & interior, with '68 marker lights. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's another. These were never really glued together, just kind of set together.

You can see the Hemi engine to the left- this is more or less what came in the Annual '69. Not too good, to my eyes.

To the right is the 383 that they included, starting with the late '80's issue. This is likely what we'll see in the upcoming kit. I think it's an improvement over the Hemi. I think they copied it from the 440 that came with all of the MPC '71-'76 Road Runners and '77-'78 Dodge Monacos. Not too bad, if a little basic. 

image.jpg

Lastly- I'm just posting this one for fun. This was a built I found in the swaps at Chryslers @ Carlisle a few years ago. It was painted red, faded and dusty, and I thought at first that it was just a nice clean build of one of the '70's reissues. When I took a closer look at it, it had that blown Hemi sticking out from under the Super Stock scoop. Also, the chassis was butchered to jack it way up in the back, for the massive plastic slicks. At least the body was nice, and I really dug the vibe. Some modeler in the early '70's went to a lot of trouble on this Street Freak. 

Well- I get it home, and like I usually do with any builts I get, I rip it down as soon as I can, and put the body & hood in the dip. I almost immediately regretted it. I probably could have left it alone, although the paint was pretty beat, the chassis was white and unpainted, and the chrome was really faded and worn. Perhaps I could have detailed it. 

In any case, I'm going to honor the original builder by repainting it red, and using the basic elements (engine, slicks, rear wheels), while adding some detail, and a straight axle up front. I think I can recapture the original "bad" this old bomber had...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

30 years ago I would of said 'You've got to be kidding me' today I say thank you Round 2 for I appreciate everything that they have been doing. I will take every and I mean EVERY kit that they put out. Keep them all coming. Thank you Round 2.    Jeff

Regarding that Sand Dragon kit; I seem to remember building a 1/25 kit back-in-the-day that was very similar, and was molded in Yellow styrene.  But, I think it had smooth, Goodyear (regular, drag-strip-style) rear slicks in it instead of the paddle-wheel style of rear tires shown on this Sand Dragon's box art.  

Am I confused?  Was there a kit like this issued, (early-to-mid-1970's), that was more like a drag car instead of a sand/off-road car?

Regarding that Sand Dragon kit; I seem to remember building a 1/25 kit back-in-the-day that was very similar, and was molded in Yellow styrene.  But, I think it had smooth, Goodyear (regular, drag-strip-style) rear slicks in it instead of the paddle-wheel style of rear tires shown on this Sand Dragon's box art.  

Am I confused?  Was there a kit like this issued, (early-to-mid-1970's), that was more like a drag car instead of a sand/off-road car?

are you thinking of the Tom Daniel / Monogram  Groovy Grader?