Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

Regarding that Sand Dragon kit; I seem to remember building a 1/25 kit back-in-the-day that was very similar, and was molded in Yellow styrene.  But, I think it had smooth, Goodyear (regular, drag-strip-style) rear slicks in it instead of the paddle-wheel style of rear tires shown on this Sand Dragon's box art.  

Am I confused?  Was there a kit like this issued, (early-to-mid-1970's), that was more like a drag car instead of a sand/off-road car?

Mine always had two piece hard plastic tires with paddles !

I was privilege to meet the R2 guys Sat at NNL.  I have talked and e-mail with John G for many years but never met.  And all I can say is these guys are doing a great job. Deora is coming back with all the goodies like bubble back and bed cover!!

John truly surprised me with a 'yellow' Kat from AMT for the help over the years.....really humbled me. 

God times now.....much more coming!!!!

Oh darn, this isn't the one I was thinking of. The one I wanted came out in a series with the Sand T and the Piranha-chassied digger, and was sort of a Logghe-chassied sand rail (front engine). I can't remember the name of it now, if it wasn't Sand Dragon.

No, it wasn't the Groovy Grader as I remember that kit as well.  It looked very much like the Sand Dragon; just no paddle-tires and no rear fender piece.

Maybe?:

I want to say the Sand Dragon, Copperhead, and Flying Wedge (which is forthcoming) are all use the same or a very similar chassis, etc., much like the semi-recent MPC dragsters Round2 reissued.

Oh darn, this isn't the one I was thinking of. The one I wanted came out in a series with the Sand T and the Piranha-chassied digger, and was sort of a Logghe-chassied sand rail (front engine). I can't remember the name of it now, if it wasn't Sand Dragon.

I can't remember the names of any of those, but I think there were four: the T-bucket, the Piranha chassis one, another based on the Surf Woody chassis (which does look like a Logghe Brothers chassis without the roll cage), and one based on the Drag-u-la chassis.

Round 2 also revealed showed this kit at the NNL Nats yesterday...DSC 0093.

More coverage of kit reveals here  (for those that missed my coverage of the NNL Nats posted under the "Contests and Shows" folder below on this forum.... 

Tim, I looked at your NNL pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I noticed a picture showing Round 2's upcoming Deora reissue. What do you know about this kit? Mainly, has the original tonneau bed cover been restored to this kit?

And I'm assuming the above '70 Monte Carlo is not the old Motor City one. But, the one AMT tooled up in the 1990's or early 2000's?

Tim, I looked at your NNL pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I noticed a picture showing Round 2's upcoming Deora reissue. What do you know about this kit? Mainly, has the original tonneau bed cover been restored to this kit?

And I'm assuming the above '70 Monte Carlo is not the old Motor City one. But, the one AMT tooled up in the 1990's or early 2000's?

Scott, I have heard, albeit not directly from John G., that the original parts are being restored to the Deora.  I do know that they have done extensive work trying to locate original period photography and photography of the restored Deora, for a picture book that may be included in the kit (similar to what they did for the Man From Uncle re-release).

Like you I am presuming that the Monte Carlo is the AMT/Ertl new tool, not the original 1970 Annual kit, but I forgot to ask John for verification.  I'll ask him the next time we talk.  

Thanks...TIM   

Scott, I have heard, albeit not directly from John G., that the original parts are being restored to the Deora.  I do know that they have done extensive work trying to locate original period photography and photography of the restored Deora, for a picture book that may be included in the kit (similar to what they did for the Man From Uncle re-release).

Like you I am presuming that the Monte Carlo is the AMT/Ertl new tool, not the original 1970 Annual kit, but I forgot to ask John for verification.  I'll ask him the next time we talk.  

Thanks...TIM   

I did ask about the bed cover and clear bubble bed 'topper' and both will be back just as shown on box side.....which is finalized.   I only have one kit with these but wanted to build with them. 

Edited by Dave Van

Thanks...TIM   

The AMT Monte Carlo was altered into the Bobby Allison NASCAR version, probably during '72.  The chassis was used under the AMT '73-'up Malibu stock cars also.  Both of those (MC and Malibu) were reissued by Model King.  The annuals and '70 Motor City Stockers are the same basic kits, only the Motor City Stockers had fewer parts in the box...

Is there a release date on the Monte yet? I missed this one when I was away from the hobby for a few years.

November 2015.

Honestly, these kits are still fairly easy to find on eBay, etc., especially if you don't mind the lowrider version and plan to replace the wheels and tires anyway.

Hey Man

I just saw this over on FB man on a very big model car page, does anyone know if this is true or not??

"Round2 are gonna reissue all 11 3-1 kits from 1958. My first model car kit was the 58 Ford"

Peace

My first reaction would be "OF COURSE THEY (censored) ARE - I JUST GOT A (censored) '58 FORD YESTERDAY!!!" :lol:

Seriously, I doubt it - even if by some miracle they found the molds they wouldn't reissue all of them. The Pontiac, yes - possibly the Ford and Buick - but why the Chevy, Edsel or Imperial (which was probably altered to make the '59 anyway)?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I can't remember the names of any of those, but I think there were four: the T-bucket, the Piranha chassis one, another based on the Surf Woody chassis (which does look like a Logghe Brothers chassis without the roll cage), and one based on the Drag-u-la chassis.

The one based on the Surf Woody was called the Sand Hog. I have one.