Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

The answer is simple...don't pay full retail.  One of the local shops, after two big craft store chains set up shop within a mile and a half or so, responded by raising prices, sometimes above retail.  Not too bright.  I don't expect the local guys to offer 40-50% off coupons every week, but at least stay within sight of the competition.  Another local shop at least gives a discount to members of the local IPMS chapter...though it's not as convenient as the first place, guess where I try to go more often?

On the more expensive stuff, either wait a while and order a few items at a time online, or if you hit any of the bigger shows then wait for those.  Three of us are heading to NNL East next month...between us, I'll bet there will be as many as two dozen new kits making the return trip...

Dennis, Did I say anything about Buying Pristine complete kits? Those are reserved for collectors. And the whole Two Complete Models bit is a bit rich, when It will be on the shelf next to Round2 Tall T and Chopped T kits, for under $25.00. Lastly, the Mod Rod is not what I'd choose to hang a 2 Cars in One Box kit on. But that is me. But we'll see.

Anybody have a list of all the releases planned for this year, since Round 2 has not updated their web page?

This is what I got from another board where they're talking about the same thing...................

AMT 1/25 Tyrone Malone Kenworth Super Boss Drag Truck 
AMT 1/25 1964 Plymouth Belvedere Lawman Super Stock 
AMT 1/25 1964 Plymouth Belvedere Richard Petty Stock 
AMT 1/25 White Freightliner Single-Drive Tractor Cab 
AMT 1/16 1955 Chevy Nomad Wagon 
AMT 1/25 “Blazing Bison” (Meister Brau) Triple-Engined Blown Hemi Puller Tractor 
AMT 1/25 1980 Camaro Z28 Cheverra Custom (Snap) 
AMT 1/25 1977 AMC Pacer Wagon 
AMT 1/25 1961 Chevy Impala SS (apparently the Lindberg kit – doesn’t say if it’s the hardtop or convert) 
AMT 1/25 1957 Chevy Corvette Convertible (White) Cindy Lewis Car Culture Diorama 
AMT 1/48 Star Trek F104 Starfighter

MPC 1/8 Thunder Chopper Custom Motorcycle 
MPC 1/25 1972 Don Snake Prudhomme Rear Engine Dragster

Lindberg 1/25 Crown Victoria Police Cruiser 
Lindberg 1/25 1959 Century Coronado Boat

No dates have been given----------they just say "over the next few months". ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

On another thread, I commented on whether the Pacer will be this or this? Granted on the one auction listed, it's shown as a '78, but Round 2 isn't always clear on what will be reissued. Did MPC offer both versions of the car in kit form in '77?

Either one I might consider as they have a "cool" factor now, something that was NOT the case when those cars were new! :o

This is what I got from another board where they're talking about the same thing...................

AMT 1/25 Tyrone Malone Kenworth Super Boss Drag Truck 
AMT 1/25 1964 Plymouth Belvedere Richard Petty Stock 
AMT 1/25 White Freightliner Single-Drive Tractor Cab 
AMT 1/16 1955 Chevy Nomad Wagon 
AMT 1/25 “Blazing Bison” (Meister Brau) Triple-Engined Blown Hemi Puller Tractor 
AMT 1/25 1980 Camaro Z28 Cheverra Custom (Snap) 
AMT 1/25 1977 AMC Pacer Wagon 
AMT 1/25 1961 Chevy Impala SS (apparently the Lindberg kit – doesn’t say if it’s the hardtop or convert) 
AMT 1/25 1957 Chevy Corvette Convertible (White) Cindy Lewis Car Culture Diorama 
AMT 1/48 Star Trek F104 Starfighter

MPC 1/8 Thunder Chopper Custom Motorcycle 

Lindberg 1/25 Crown Victoria Police Cruiser 
Lindberg 1/25 1959 Century Coronado Boat

No dates have been given----------they just say "over the next few months". ;)

Bill...Thanks for posting the list....there is a few on there that will be future purchases for me.

I read on another board. the Lawman was being tooled into a 2 door sedan like the Dodges are  ,,,thus the delays.

Anyone know for certain one way or another

Edited by gtx6970

On another thread, I commented on whether the Pacer will be this or this? Granted on the one auction listed, it's shown as a '78, but Round 2 isn't always clear on what will be reissued. Did MPC offer both versions of the car in kit form in '77?

Either one I might consider as they have a "cool" factor now, something that was NOT the case when those cars were new! :o

It's being listed as a '77. Google Image shows the '77 as the original "low" hood. 

AMC 1977 PACER WAGON [01].jpg

MPC never released ANY Don Prudhomme kits. Remember Prudhomme's career was made by the Mattel Hot Wheels sponsorship. At the time, Mattel owned Monogram. 

I would bet that if this is a reality, it will be either the Garlits kit with Prudhomme "Yellow Feather" decals or the failed wedge. A rebranded Garlits kit would be much more accurate as the Blue McEwen dragster. It was a duplicate of the first rear engined Garlits car built by Garlits.

Now.......when you think about the flying wedge dragster being announced and then quietly dropped.......I see a kit I'd call my lHS about every day when I hear it's released. The irony, it appeared to have great potential but never performed to that potential. Of course it would be interesting to see how many decals are missing.

7ba263c9118ce020293b5926894a1dc5.jpg

15d406f06ce12f2ac57cb5137d1afc69_XL.jpg

Edited by iBorg
Added last sentence concerning decals

Was that (Camaro Cheverra) maybe originally a Lindberg kit? I have a Corvette and a Mustang of similar vintage and style from them, and have a vague recollection that they did Camaro and maybe Firebird in this series too.

Pacer wagon? Good news if true. This must be the old AMT kit. For I don't believe MPC ever offered the wagon version of the Pacer. And if it is the stock Pacer wagon, not the Custom Panel version, it would still have the original low nose front end. It would be a nice contrast to the MPC Pacer reissued a coupe of years. Though I do like that model too. 

The Cheverra was an AMT kit. I don't have a clue how good the kit is. Honestly, I found the box art off putting.

As for the MPC Wagon, MPC most definitely made Pacer Wagons. When this kit was released the hobby was much stronger and it was not uncommon for both MPC and AMT to offer the same model car in kit form. I sold a Pacer Wagon at the Lousiville show at least twenty years ago to a guy from Australia. It made his day and mine. He was excited to get it, and I was tired of carrying that turkey around.

Was that (Camaro Cheverra) maybe originally a Lindberg kit? I have a Corvette and a Mustang of similar vintage and style from them, and have a vague recollection that they did Camaro and maybe Firebird in this series too.

No, the Cheverra was an AMT kit. Lindberg did have a snap-together Camaro of the same vintage that was originally released by USAirfix. USAirfix released a version of it called the Ultra Z that had a Porsche-style whale tail but it's not the same as the AMT kit. Don't know if any of the Lindberg issues included the whale tail. 

I'm confused. Ok, I'm more confused than normal. :wacko:

Is the Flying Wedge rear engine dragster still being released this year or not?

This is one of two kits that I would have skipped lunch to get the money to buy, the other being the Mod Rod with the complete Ala Kart. Already disappointed about the Mod Rod (just glad thanks to this group that I found out in time), is this going to be a fully disappointing year for me?

Thanks,

Russ

Casey posted this "Is the Flying Wedge dragster officially dead now, similar to what happened to the MPC "Pepsi"-branded Vending Machine kit?"

Checking a couple of online sources and they show due date unknown and out of stock. If the list from MrObsessive is correct, I'm making a strong guess that the Prudhomme 1972 dragster will be the wedge. The yellow feather would be nice as an option as would the reissue of the original Flying Wedge model. The Prudhomme wedge with the correct decals would be one of Round 2's biggest sellers unless licensing fees are so high that modelers would not buy multiples.

Edited by iBorg