Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another local shop closes it's doors

I found out that S&J models is closing up shop. They were located at the Tri-Cities Flea Market in building A. Located past the Bristol race track. They had been there for 14 years. Skip and Brenda are good people. They would order anything you wanted if it was available. Brenda told me the bad news last night. She said it was because sales were down and that they were barely breaking even. They will be missed.

Of course they'll be missed, but this has been happening for a few years now with many hobby shops going down this road. Plastic model building, scale railroading, and R/C is not what it used to be, as times are changin' whether we like it or not.

I don't think it is that so much as internet sales.

I don't think it is that so much as internet sales.

True. There is a high cost associated with running a brick & mortar store. When I was going through my career transition, I actually spoke with real estate brokers and Hobby Town franchise. There was no way I could make the numbers work.

But the irony is that one of the locations I inquired about was over $3000 a month in a local strip mall. What moves in there? A cupcake shop! I cannot fathom how they're going to survive.

True. There is a high cost associated with running a brick & mortar store. When I was going through my career transition, I actually spoke with real estate brokers and Hobby Town franchise. There was no way I could make the numbers work.

But the irony is that one of the locations I inquired about was over $3000 a month in a local strip mall. What moves in there? A cupcake shop! I cannot fathom how they're going to survive.

In the last two years I've seen a couple cupcake shops open and close in high traffic spots. I've read that the cupcake fad is over and fancy donut shops are the New Big Thing..one of the new donut shops has bacon wrapped donuts..mmmm got to check that out..

Edited by Rob Hall

Always sad to hear a shop closed. It happened to a shop by me a couple years ago. I used to like to go in there and browse around and jaw with the owner. I miss that place. He had a ton of old vintage stuff. I also dabble in HO trains and RC planes. He carried that stuff too.

Edited by b-body fan

In the last two years I've seen a couple cupcake shops open and close in high traffic spots. I've read that the cupcake fad is over and fancy donut shops are the New Big Thing..one of the new donut shops has bacon wrapped donuts..mmmm got to check that out..

This is Pennsylvania, close to Amish country... the cupcake fad is just starting here, LOL

This happens in Finland too. Music stores (instruments), motorcycle accessories etc.
Internet - that's the deal. You can go to the local and see if the item fits your bill and then order it online, saving a couple of bucks (or more).
Internet stores have warehouses, they don't really need high cost staff that much, they can have things in stock more than the local stores.

So, all in all: Support your local businesses even if they cost a bit more. That way you can visit The Local merchant, have a good laugh once and a while and encourage employment. Small deeds will become big. If you don't do this, there might not be that local for too long...

Just my two cents to the discussion.

Reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skits with the Scotch Tape store.

Internet - that's the deal. You can go to the local and see if the item fits your bill and then order it online, saving a couple of bucks (or more).

Bingo! How many times have you heard someone say, "Go see it at the hobby shop (or insert other small store here), then order it online! And they say it like there's nothing wrong!

Bingo! How many times have you heard someone say, "Go see it at the hobby shop (or insert other small store here), then order it online! And they say it like there's nothing wrong!

You can't undo progress.

The internet is here. It's not going away. And it has changed the way people shop. Not just for model cars, but for almost everything.

Crying about another LHS closing its doors is pointless. We have to deal with the world as it exists today, not wish it was still the way it was 20-30-40 years ago. These "another local hobby shop closes its doors" threads are pretty pointless, aren't they?

There is nothing wrong with that at all, I do it all time, if I can buy what I want online for less than in person, and save taxes, you bet I am going to do it, and free shipping makes that deal even sweater. (not just talking about hobby stores)

Edited by martinfan5

This happens in Finland too. Music stores (instruments), motorcycle accessories etc.

Internet stores have warehouses, they don't really need high cost staff that much, they can have things in stock more than the local stores.

So, all in all: Support your local businesses even if they cost a bit more. That way you can visit The Local merchant, have a good laugh once and a while and encourage employment. Small deeds will become big. If you don't do this, there might not be that local for too long...

Just my two cents to the discussion.

Very true.

When you support your local businesses you also support your community, you are providing jobs and tax revenue to help supply services to your local community.

You can't undo progress.

The internet is here. It's not going away. And it has changed the way people shop. Not just for model cars, but for almost everything.

Crying about another LHS closing its doors is pointless. We have to deal with the world as it exists today, not wish it was still the way it was 20-30-40 years ago. These "another local hobby shop closes its doors" threads are pretty pointless, aren't they?

So true Harry, time and age we live in now...

I miss my lhs. I miss needing paint or supplies and being able to just run out and get it. But to others point, I was willing to pay a few more bucks for a kit to get it now and support the shop. However, often times I could get the kit or kits cheaper on line including shipping.

I still have a handful of local hobby shops within an hour of me so if I really need something usually save up list and go once every couple of months. Again, this is mostly for supplies. I tend to buy my kits online or at shows just because it's a lot cheaper.

What I really miss is knowing the shop owner. My childhood hobby shop is still open and the owner is probably the most interesting and passionate hobbylist I've ever known (Sayre hobby shop sayre pa). Locally here where I live now, we had a shop and the owner was just a great guy and I looked forward to talking to him.

Internet is here and its wgere I buy my most of my model kits now....on!y I can't talk to the internet. I miss the human side of the hobby shop experience.

JJ

I miss the human side of the hobby shop experience.

I'll give you that. The personal interaction isn't there when you shop online. And if personal interaction is a big part of what you want, then yeah, you can't beat the old LHS.

But for me, personal interaction isn't what I'm looking for when I shop for kits or supplies. I want my hobby supplies and kits for the lowest price possible, and I want the largest selection possible. That means Internet. And there's nothing I need so desperately that I can't wait a few days for it to be delivered.

I remember as a kid, going to the hobby shop on a Saturday morning and just nosing around for an hour or two. Yeah, it was fun. But times change, and we have a new way of doing business now. There's no sense in mourning the loss of every hobby shop that closes. Instead of constantly looking to the past and wishing things were still done today as they were years ago, think about the fact that we now have access to the world's largest hobby shop right at our fingertips... something we could never even have imagined 20-30-40 years ago.

And soon 3-D printing will be as cheap and common as "regular" 2-D printing is today, and the hobby will undergo yet another big change.

Like they say, the only thing constant in life is change.