Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next up from Moebius ?

I'd love to see Mobius do a 67 Galaxie.  Coupe, then convertible, then wagon ?  I know, they'd never do a Wagon.  

81160_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Or...53 Buick Skylark... That would be right in line with the Hudson's which I have to believe were very successful.

97233_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

67 Ford Galaxie that would be nice. As Tom and Mr obsessive said 64 - 66 Barracuda would be hot.  I really don't know about the Javelin i never had an interest in the kit but many do...

A series of Indy 500 Pace Car models representing the '50s through '70s would do well.         

I'll go along with that!!

If nothing else, just for the Desoto & the Merc!

Steve

I suspect some would, most probably would not.  One of the literal givens with model car kits, at least in this country is that, save perhaps for Corvettes, probably pony cars as well, convertible kits have NEVER sold nearly as well as their hardtop stablemates.

Art

I have no evidence to dispute that Art, but I find it a little hard to believe. At least the "never" part.

I had always assumed that the convertible kits sold much better in the late 50s & early 60s at least.

Convertibles are relatively easy to find on places like ebay, but have you ever tried to find hardtops like a '58 Ford, '60 Merc, '61 Ford Starliner, etc?

They can be very scarce. '60 Mercury convertibles, as an example, are relatively plentiful compared to the hardtop kits.

Steve

Steve, this comes from my 30 years behind the counter in a couple of hobby shops.  Trust me, convertible kits as we know them, never did sell in nearly the same numbers as their hardtop stablemates (but then, neither did they in the 1:1 world either.

A series of Indy 500 Pace Car models representing the '50s through '70s would do well.         

I'll go along with that!!

If nothing else, just for the Desoto & the Merc!

Steve

I suspect some would, most probably would not.  One of the literal givens with model car kits, at least in this country is that, save perhaps for Corvettes, probably pony cars as well, convertible kits have NEVER sold nearly as well as their hardtop stablemates.

Art

I have no evidence to dispute that Art, but I find it a little hard to believe. At least the "never" part.

I had always assumed that the convertible kits sold much better in the late 50s & early 60s at least.

Convertibles are relatively easy to find on places like ebay, but have you ever tried to find hardtops like a '58 Ford, '60 Merc, '61 Ford Starliner, etc?

They can be very scarce. '60 Mercury convertibles, as an example, are relatively plentiful compared to the hardtop kits.

Steve

Steve, this comes from my 30 years behind the counter in a couple of hobby shops.  Trust me, convertible kits as we know them, never did sell in nearly the same numbers as their hardtop stablemates (but then, neither did they in the 1:1 world either.

Steve

Didn't that have more to do with one or the other being molded first, and survival of leftover stock, or something like that

I would definitely go along with the '67 Galaxie and possibly the Barracuda.

I'd probably pass on the Javelin.

Just as the real car, my guess is it would probably be too much of a "niche" thing to justify a kit anyway.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I could see a first gen Barracuda doing well, and maybe a spin-off D-Dart would be really cool. What I see as the big hole is the second gen Barracuda. There are 3 years with small changes between them, 3 body styles (fastback, coupe, and convertible), and most important the 68 S/S cars. Revell didn't do the greatest job on their Hemi Dart, but it has sold well enough and for those who want a more accurate S/S, the raw material is there. A new tool 68 Barracuda would be worlds ahead of the old MPC kit and I know there is a market for a good S/S AH car. There should be enough variations and sales to recoup tooling costs in there.

Edited by slantasaurus

I know this is odd. Why not put out something newer. A Cadillac CTS-V or XLR. How about a newer Chevy or Dodge pickup. Maybe an OJ (92) Bronco. I'd buy a Tesla kit. I'm not gonna get into the big truck area, that's a whole other can of worms. But how about something off the wall. A sandrail or some sort of modern boat kit. 

I'd almost say that anything older than mid-90's qualifies as a "niche" vehicle these days. There's nothing to tie-in with the film or TV media now... no strong film connections to build on.... racing is too fluid for manufacturers to keep up with, and current fandom doesn't support the kit industry well. Kids don't identify with the old cars and trucks except as something their older family members might have had in most cases. Old farts like myself find ourselves staring at a shelf full of kits we've already built when we're in the hobby shop; and also find it increasingly hard to justify 30+ bucks for a new kit OR a repop of something we paid $2.79 for, regardless of inflation. I like the new Moebius series of trucks, and I actually WOULD buy that Kaiser kit. makes me a one-percenter, I guess.

I've been lucky enough to help out in the kit development area for going on 30 years on and off. I thought, years ago, that I could make better choices than kit companies.  But after years of seeing the time (ie money), skill and RISK in the model kit biz I understand better today.  And while I still have kit ideas in the back of my mind I want to see become real kits....I understand why they will not. 

Let's put it this way......want to show you know better than the kit companies?? Put your money up. 

I know when I suggested an 'off the wall' idea and it was accepted IF I invested my own cash......things change. 

I'm thinking small, I'd be happy to see them keep going with the new Ford trucks, 67-68, 70, 72, a flare side bed, 4x4 etc.

Or...53 Buick Skylark... That would be right in line with the Hudson's which I have to believe were very successful.

97233_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

I'm not really big on 1950s cars but I'd get one of these.

I would like to see a 62 Galaxie 2 door post sedan, 406 with 3 2's,factory cast iron headers,406 option, base bench seat interior, 4 speed molded separate from engine., deep factory steelies with dog dishes. Mold the body without engine badges, include decals for a 390 or 406 engine. Additional wishes, single 4 barrel intake system, standard 390 exhaust manifolds, two dashes, one with radio and heater delete, the other with radio and heater controls. Make the firewall with separate heater pieces and a block off plate for a heater delete option. Sun tach with transmitter and some Stewart Warner black face under dash gauges with decals to match. Also decals for speedo and radio if possible.

Tool could then be modified to add a 223 six, three speed on the column, a column shift automatic, separate brake pedal assemblies for standard and auto transmissions. standard depth steelies  with  dog dishes. Make it a 2 in 1 by adding some police equipment, bubble gum beacon, police radio, whip antenna, clipboard. Generic police and fire decals would be a plus. Add decals for the auto shift quadrant.

Want to get more use out of the tooling? Tool up a Galaxie 500XL hardtop body, bucket seat interior with separate console. Use the 390/406 engine trans combo. Add the automatic trans as an option along with the separate clutch/brake pedal assemblies

Want to get even more use from the tooling? Tool up a convertible body, with a boot and convertible top as an option.

I proposed this to Ed Sexton at Revell several months ago. His reply was that a 62 Ford had already been done. I replied that was 53 years ago by AMT!!

I told him a new tool 62 Ford done right would be a good seller. No comment from Ed.

Edited by VW93

I proposed this to Ed Sexton at Revell several months ago. His reply was that a 62 Ford had already been done. I replied that was 53 years ago by AMT!!

I told him a new tool 62 Ford done right would be a good seller. No comment from Ed.

Remind him that the tooling has been lost since about 1969 when it was last issued in the "Baja" series - if it still existed AMT would have reissued it several times by now (like the '61, '63, '64, '65 and '66).

I've been lucky enough to help out in the kit development area for going on 30 years on and off. I thought, years ago, that I could make better choices than kit companies.  But after years of seeing the time (ie money), skill and RISK in the model kit biz I understand better today.  And while I still have kit ideas in the back of my mind I want to see become real kits....I understand why they will not. 

Let's put it this way......want to show you know better than the kit companies?? Put your money up. 

I know when I suggested an 'off the wall' idea and it was accepted IF I invested my own cash......things change. 

You hit the nail on the head Dave when you said: "put your money up." My thoughts exactly.

My response to Mr Sexton would have been "Well, the 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 63, and 64 Chevies were already done and very available still." 

Believe me, no model company spokesperson in his right mind would even hint at interest in any particular suggestion from any of us.  Why?  Because to do so would almost surely spread like wildfire "(fill in any name here) hinted that such and such is gonna be made" when in fact more than likely no such thing was intended.  In addition, there are very good reasons for confidentiality in any business, and nowhere is it any more true than in regard to potential product subjects--to violate that would be incredibly stupid, possibly 'tip" that company's hand  

This is precisely why, for example, the real world automakers guard their potential product ideas most carefully.  Any employee who would violate that confidentiality would do so at the very real risk of his/her job, not only with that company, but more than likely with any future job prospects.

'Nuff said.

Art

I vote 50's Packard! Never been done, it would be cool to have Packard v-8's to work with .

packard-1950s (1).jpg

I'd love to see Mobius do a 67 Galaxie.  Coupe, then convertible, then wagon ?  I know, they'd never do a Wagon.  

81160_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

97233_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

I wish Moebius would tool up a '71-'74 Javelin kit, I can promise I would buy as many as I could get my hands on before the wife killed me!

If they do I promise full access to a 1/1..........

Let Moebius know what you want!!! 

JAVELINGBR1.JPG

Yes to all of the above, especially the Packard and the Javelin. 

Tom- like your idea of doing some mid-'60s A-bodies. I like Barracudas, and I would very happily purchase Valiants and Darts. If someone goes really adventurous and does a Dart/Valiant wagon....I'm all in. 

Rich- I would also welcome a selection of early '50s iron that isn't a Ford or a Chevy. For more early NASCAR, how about a '50 Plymouth fastback and a '51 Chrysler Saratoga? Instant diversification. I'd like to see a Pontiac or two and a bathtub Nash, as well.

Charlie Larkin

My response to Mr Sexton would have been "Well, the 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 63, and 64 Chevies were already done and very available still." 

I mentioned that fact to him. I told him that between AMT, Lindberg and Revell/Monogram you could buy/build a 51,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,70 or a 76 Chevy from current or recent kits..

Between AMT, Lindberg and Revell/Monogram you could only buy/build 49,50,53,56,57,60,61,63,64,65,66 and 69 Fords. If you want you could include the AMT 70 Ford 4 door in that list.

I mentioned a 62 Ford done with todays technology would be an improvement over what was done in 1962. Mentioned also the mass appeal as it could be built stock, drag, police/fire. I also mentioned the possibility of it being converted by the NASCAR builders into oval racers.

I also suggested a stock height roof 48 Ford coupe and sedan be tooled up and use their existing 48 Ford tooling for several variations. The reply was that resin bodies were available. I said they should have done a stock height roof kit and left the custom body to the resin casters. With their 48 Ford custom there is only one way to build it. If they did a stock roof there are so many variations available, stock, hot rod, semi custom or police/fire. They probably could have sold more stock height roof 48 Fords than the Custom version. I haven't bought a Custom but would have bought a bunch of stock height coupes and sedans.

Edited by VW93
added 69 Ford to list

I wish Moebius would tool up a '71-'74 Javelin kit, I can promise I would buy as many as I could get my hands on before the wife killed me!

So , let me ASSUME all of us like the same stuff . I've been sitting here thinking how much I want to build yet another Junkie Motors Death Trap ; Nova , Camero Corvair (cadaver) . The ONE Leaf Spring per side was such a penny pinching success . Never (LOL) did one leaf spring per side fail and cause a catastrophe with fatal results . Then the upgrade on the Novas to side track (or dogtrack) with multi-leaf rear springs with the super soft centering bolts . Jusy like the SBC Camshafts . Just like the Killer Rollover Corvairs did not cause any Fatalities (Ernie Kovach , sorry) . 

I just have to say that seeing all of the badmouthing about : AMC , Packard and Studebaker , Tucker . I owned two AMC Javelins . I did also own ; never a moment of not needing repair Chevrolets . The AMC I regret parting with . The Chevrolets I regret ever owning / forced to work on .

This aside why should Mobvius ignore the Javelins from '71-'74 . The differences being ,

Each of the '71 , '72 had different Grill taillight treatment . The '73/'74 were the same . The AMX line was the same . The Front Grill Assm was the same all 4 MY's . The rear taillights fro the '71 , '72 MY shared the Javelin taillight treatment . The '73/'74 AMX had the same taillight treatment as the Javelin . The ram Air Hood worked better than  Contemporary Junkie Motors imitation . The Spoiler on the rear and ram Air hood were AMX equipment . In fact the AMX was advertised , sold and titled as Javelin AMX 's .

So , Mobuis should overlook 8 Versions from one Tooling because ????????????????????? I am working on all 8 for my collection for string of AMC Pony Cars which now and always always be more complete than my string of homicidal cars . Would I buy 8 more Javelin / Javelin AMX rather than another Junkie Motors .. You betchee .. Studebaker , Packard , Nash , Hudson , Willies , Crosley , Cunningham , Kaiser , Stutz , Mercer , even a Porter I would buy and build before another homicidal model car . In fact , May I suggest two new lines of model car kits . Car of the year ; Motor Trend year by year . The second Killer cars . The Crossovers not be duplicated in both of these series .   Thanx ..

Edited by diamxion retread

One more suggestion for Moebius, a 1/2 ton 57 to 60 Ford pickup. Any year would be fine by me. Have a small window cab with a shortbed, either step side or styleside. Do another cab with a large rear window and a long bed. One version with a 223 six cylinder, one with a 292 Y block. Dog dishes caps for the shortbed, full wheel covers for the longbed.

Add some service truck options like a push bumper, beacon light, spot light, gas/oil cans, jack and so on. Generic decals for the service truck so no licensing issues with any oil/gas companies. How about a simple Manley type boom ? How about another version with the HD floater rear and rims?

Another version could include some custom items like chrome reverse rims, offenhauser valve covers, custom air cleaner, gauges, floor shifter, roll & pleated bed cover and seats/door panels.

Edited by VW93
spelling

Between AMT, Lindberg and Revell/Monogram you could only buy/build 49,50,53,56,57,60,61,63,64,65, and 66 Fords. If you want you could include the AMT 70 Ford 4 door in that list.

You forgot the 69 Ford........

Also, How many Camaro kits we need?

Mustangs too, other than a new tool 71-73, I am good.

Between AMT, Lindberg and Revell/Monogram you could only buy/build 49,50,53,56,57,60,61,63,64,65, and 66 Fords. If you want you could include the AMT 70 Ford 4 door in that list.

You forgot the 69 Ford........

Also, How many Camaro kits we need?

Mustangs too, other than a new tool 71-73, I am good.

Forgot about the '69, thanks.

Id like to see Moebius release a 67-72 Chevy pickup, with modern tooling this would sell very well, just look at the recent Ford bumpside kits...ok maybe not a perfect kit but its selling like hotcakes !.

Or maybe a 1st gen Bronco ?