Model Cars Magazine Forum

RED Volvo and 51' Trailer

Funny thing....I had this old Volvo that needed a trailer, and I just had to build another 53' Moebius....The title says 51', and that's what's so cool about it.....The trailer is almost exactly 25 1/2" long, which scales out in 1/24 to 51'.....And it's just over 4" wide....Making it a little less than a 102".....I added some Italeri wheels and tires, which fit right onto the Moebius axles after cutting 3/16" off the inner wheel stems....And the inner wheel hubs fit perfectly onto the Italeri wheels.....I had fun with this one....I spread the axle and made some tool boxes......Also added some Buccee's stickers to the sides, and here it is...Still up in the air on those, but they're easily removed, if I need to......I hope you enjoy it as much as I did throwing it together this week.....

SAM_7816%201024x511_zpsxxthxm8q.jpg

SAM_7818%20800x499_zpse6vwiieq.jpg

SAM_7820%201024x512_zpsrivft6ud.jpg

SAM_7822%201024x594_zpsw7hg7sqw.jpg

SAM_7824%201024x532_zpscwimzk3w.jpg

SAM_7825%20800x404_zpsyfsb8gzx.jpg

SAM_7827%201024x476_zps38ulofe6.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Looks good! My family's trucking business ran 51' reefers for quite a few years. People used to think it was odd, but NY state used to charge double tolls for 53' trailers on the NYS Thruway. With a 51' trailer you can hold the same number of skids as a 53' trailer, but the tolls were the same as a 48' trailer.

Hey, thanks, Guys.....Thanks for the cool comments y'all made on this build......

Looks good! My family's trucking business ran 51' reefers for quite a few years. People used to think it was odd, but NY state used to charge double tolls for 53' trailers on the NYS Thruway. With a 51' trailer you can hold the same number of skids as a 53' trailer, but the tolls were the same as a 48' trailer.

That's a pretty good reason to go with a 51'er....Amazing what they'll do to make a buck, these days....Double toll for a 53'?? Really?? With the same amount of axles, even....Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to me.....But I'm sure it makes "cents" to somebody.....