Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much time do you spend on the computer in the Forums.....

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering. How much time do you spend on line checking the Forums and facebook modeling sites?

Being retired I spent a coupe hours a day online. Most of that is on model related sites. In the past I had gotten to the point where I was spending more time online than building models.

And now that I have finally gotten back to the workbench. I am determined not to let that happen again.  Though many of the Truck related Forums are rather slow these days.

There is still some activity,by some of the older dinosaurs, who refuse to do Facebook.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

I'm not a facebook member and I will never be as I don't need any more time thiefs...and I don't like the facebook concept, so I only look at a couple of open to public facebook sites from time to time...but I prefer forums before facebook any day, mostly because its easier to follow and I learn a lot more from the forums than on the "unsocial medias"...yes I call them unsocial as most of the people I know who use them does it on their coffee and lunch breaks at work and doesn't talk to their colleagues at all.
Time spent...well it depends...some days it can be a couple of hours and other days nothing at all.

Edited by Force

This is the only Model Forum that I go on.  I "tune in" at least a couple of times a day, as I am also retired.  The only other site I go on regularly is EBAY to look for stuff and to follow up on my "watched" items.  I'll bid only up to a certain amount.  I order kits and aftermarket stuff mostly online for multiple items to make the shipping charges more reasonable.  I do not do Facebook.  Most days I'd say I could average a couple of hours on the computer.

I'm with Rich on this as far as the only model car site I visit. My computer is in the same room as my modeling desk, so I tend to spend more time than I really need to on the computer. As a retiree, I find that I have a lot of time on my hands and that managing that can get out of hand. I should really should spend more time on projects, but I have found that the concentration wanes with age. Maybe I should take up learning to spell properly. My college prof's in the past  and this web site tell me i'm wrong. O"well, hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I use facebook daily but just to checking my family from outside the land and probably around 20 min of use . Saying that I check this forum also to keep learning this beautiful hobby.  

I forgot to say that I also spend some time in evilbay too.

Thanks for your reply's . Yes it is very easy to spend way too much time on the PC rather than at the workbench.

My problem right now is getting things organized. When I packed my models to move to the Philippines. I thought I had thing pretty well organised! ...............not!!!

I recently pulled out a project that I thought was all in one box. Only to find out. That I don't know where all the parts are. The project(s) two Ford LNT dump trucks.

They were on my workbench during Hurricane Andrew in 92'. Talk about waiting a long time to get back to that project.lol So I put the one I found in the drawer. And pulled out a fresh kit.

Italeri DAF Cattleman truck. Gawd I hate multi piece cabs! Will start a workbench thread in a day or so.

Oh the other thing I do not do nor have ever done. Evilbay! just never got into it. But I can see where it could get to be habit forming! lol

Be Well

Gator

As most everyone says, this is just about the only forum I go to.  I  am on several times a day.  Like to keep up with the new content.  As a disabled vet, I do not get a lot of time building.  Got way to many appointments all the time.  Facebook, not a fan.  All my friends and relatives are on there.  I just don't agree with the concept.  Seems that just a few short years ago, people were afraid to say anything about themselves on E-mail.  Now with Facebook, they tell you and show you just about everything about themselves.

I have to agree with Clayton. I also belong to other forums but this one is my favorite. I have learned so much here and the people are great! Facebook? Not for me;)

Dennis, I have to agree with you. I have come to like this Forum over the others. but I am also stubborn. I just can't and won't give up on the other Forums

Be Well

Gator.

Personally, I see 2 reasons for that. One being facebook  and the other being the update proboards made a couple of years ago. Most of the vets of the truck forums never took to the new proboard format

You are so right about that! I remember the uproar .When the format for the Forums changed!

But going back a few years, I remember when Yahoo Groups was the place for the Model groups. Then i left Yahoo because I lost a computer to a Trojan horse virus. And the Proboards was the coming thing.

Like one person said. Way too many people put too much info about themselves and their lives on Face Book.

Be Well

Gator

I spend an hour or two a day on the boards... a couple of model car boards and one for stamps.  I wind up on the computer instead of building, because the computer is on the kitchen table which is open to the family room. This is where my wife spends most evenings watching silly shows.  While she was recuperating from surgery, I couldn't go upstairs to the model room, nor did I want to add modeling scents to the house.  So I found things to do on the computer and I started the project of sorting out the stamp collection I had packed away in my late teens.  That had been on the bucket list a long time.  

Since staying downstairs has become a habit I need to  think about getting back to modeling upstairs.  Since my wife will fall asleep maybe a half hour into her shows, that's my cue to go upstairs.  I can work a few hours and come back downstairs before she wakes up and she never knows!  :D   Summer has also kept me away from the bench.  I won't spend daylight hours working on models during the summer since I can be outdoors.

FaceBook started out as a decent way to keep in touch with family and friends.  Then the model guys infiltrated it and now my feed is mainly model car stuff, so I don't see my family stuff.  And it's just the same guys as the other boards, only without moderation so we have a fair amount of potty mouthing,  and some really odd political and religious views. And I can do without that.  My wife is a big FaceBook user and will ask me," Did you see what your cousin Becky posted?"  Me, "No and I don't care."   so she goes on to tell me anyway...

Edited by Tom Geiger

I am probably "normal" then. Two hours a day. I am on this forum, a woodworking forum, and two classic car forums. I am also on Facebook. I have found old schoolmates on there and sort of keep in touch with several cousins I would probably not have contact with otherwise. I ignore most of the bullshit on it. I have received tremendous help and assistance on the forums I belong to whether the car is 1:1 or 1:25 or with the woodworking.

As for the bench, it varies. Living in Canada, if it's nice out ,I'm out. Even in the winter. I snowshoe a lot. I'd say the bench is early mornings and early evenings. The rest of the time, it is chores or the other hobbies.

my computer use is up and down. i only frequent this forum, and will check it a few times a day using my phone, then if i have time, i will peruse it at home after work, i know when the junk weather comes, i will be more active here. and i am another one that is NOT on face book, don't care for it and have no use for it to this point.

I am also on Facebook. I have found old schoolmates on there and sort of keep in touch with several cousins I would probably not have contact with otherwise.

That's the good part.  I see what my friends and relatives are up to, and my high school class has a very active presence. We've had three impromptu  reunions and I probably have more friends from high school than I did in high school.  That's healed a lot of old wounds. I was a military brat and lived in Germany for three years, coming back to the states when I was a freshman.  I'm in touch with kids I knew back then through a FaceBook group for that US Army post. A girl I knew contacted me for the first time just last week.  Catching up with them reminds me of stories and details I had long forgotten.

I mentioned on the group that I would love to have a photo of my old house in Germany.  A German fellow in that town responded that he would go there and take a picture for me that weekend.  Soon after I had a photo... of a brand new triplex house each with their own garage!  Confused at first, but soon realized the reason why nobody posted photos of my old house was that it had been demolished many years ago and this was the new house on the same lot.  Oh well, you can't win them all.  But to have the ability to have a stranger half a world away take a picture for you? Incredible power of FaceBook!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I am a family man going to work every day but I still manage to steal some hours to spend at the workbench or at PC. I check this forum every day and two others as well, including the one in my own language. But I do not read everything like I used to before. FB is not for me for the reasons that others said, mailnly for the fear that it might steal even more time from me. But I spend a lot of time watching youtube since listening to american music has always been a great part of my life. I had records and tapes but in most cases I didn´t even know what the artists looked like. Now with vids at hand I am an old youtube junkie.

My computer time is devided between checking the model forums, hunting for truck reference pictures (that takes the most of my time), a serious work (anything connected to run of the family or household) and youtube. I try to spend at least an hour a day at workbench. Sometimes it´s more, sometimes it´s none. I never counted my on-line hours, maybe I should and get surprised :).

Edited by truckabilly

Guys, You all make good points. I will say this. I am glad that all of you or on this Forum and participate both with builds and comments!  

I   like U-tube for music, but don't get into watching the videos. I find something I want to listen too. and sometimes even put on the headphones.

I do have a laptop I can use when at the workbench.And do so often. And again I will most often use the headphones . I will change genres from old rock and roll to acid rock to blues or jazz etc.

Be Well

Gator

and then there are people who are out of touch... I have a cousin that lives locally.  He and his family have no TV.  He wants to have a big family thing this weekend, inviting people to travel etc...  I ask him... don't you realize the pope is in Philly?   Nope, he never heard about that!

It's only been the big thing in Philly media for the past year!  We've gotten all kinds of travel restrictions, major routes closed.  The PA National Guard will be on standby in  my town.   Even got an email from the town advising us to stay home, avoid unnecessary travel etc.   And this guy had no friggin clue!