Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update re:First real automotive build in a long time - FINISHED!

BDSchindler

I've been picking up a couple of insignificant kits lately (read: CHEAP!) to practice with and get my skills and (most importantly) patience back up to par.  Especially painting skills that weren't always so great anyway. 

Well, my daughter's 14th birthday is this Valentines day.  She is obsessed with the color pink and recently, she became doubly obsessed with the new Mini Cooper.  So I seized the moment and picked up Revell's Mini Cooper and tonite, it got painted...pink.  I figured I'll build it for her Birthday.  And boy is this thing PINK!

Going to be a standard build.  The kit I picked up I didn't realize it was a curbside model but just the practice I wanted. I also picked up the Photoetch kit for the Mini from MCG.  Should a fun build.  Besides, how many guys can say they bought their little girl a new car for her 14th birthday!

IMG_3169.jpeg

Edited by BDSchindler

Always liked the Mini, even though it's kind of a "chick" car.

As an aside, here in Alberta, you can get your learner's permit at age 14. My boy, who is 11, keeps reminding me that he's driving in 3 years. Yikes!

Jeez...I have an 18 year old who isn't at all interested in getting his license.

Edited by BDSchindler

I've been picking up a couple of insignificant kits lately (read: CHEAP!) to practice with and get my skills and (most importantly) patience back up to par.  Especially painting skills that weren't always so great anyway. 

Well, my daughter's 14th birthday is this Valentines day.  She is obsessed with the color pink and recently, she became doubly obsessed with the new Mini Cooper.  So I seized the moment and picked up Revell's Mini Cooper and tonite, it got painted...pink.  I figured I'll build it for her Birthday.  And boy is this thing PINK!

Going to be a standard build.  The kit I picked up I didn't realize it was a curbside model but just the practice I wanted. I also picked up the Photoetch kit for the Mini from MCG.  Should a fun build.  Besides, how many guys can say they bought their little girl a new car for her 14th birthday!

IMG_3169.jpeg

Cool. She'll love it.

And wow, is that thing pink! 

Charlie Larkin

Yeah she'll most likely be keepin' that one for a long time after you're done with it. Way to go....dad!! .Yes

Agreed. When my daughter was that age, she was interested in going into the Coast Guard, so for Christmas that year I went on eBay and bought an OOP (semi-spendy) Coast Guard GI Joe, then took Joe out of the package and replaced him with a Barbie in the USCG uniform. (Barbie's high-heel feet were never intended to go into GI combat boots, but I made it work.) Put it all back together in the display package so it looks like it came that way. She treasures that thing to this day.

• 2 weeks later...