Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bizarre question time.

Ok, I know the "Show us your work bench thread has been done(have found 1) this is a little different in that I want to know what type of chair is most used? Reason is, I have some back pain(stiffness mainly) when I have been at my desk for a while.

i am using a old office type chair, but wonder if this is the best option?

Good Question! . I know exactly what you are taking about as my back will start to hurt after a while at the bench. I found that if I don't lean over the bench while I am still sitting I am a little bit better. But I think that a good chair or stool would improve things quite a bit. Thanks. 

Jeff 

I have a chair that I purchased on sale at an office supply store. It has a well padded seat and the ability to adjust the seat height. It swivels and is on rollers so that it is easy to move around. If you are on a carpeted surface I would also invest in a plastic or some other hard surface to lay over the carpet so as not to ware it out, and it makes it a lot easier to find small parts when they get dropped. This may require a larger investment then what you want to do now, but if you look around these items can be found used and save a lot of money there. I share your back problems, I'm waiting to get into the Chiropractors office today. How you sit makes a big difference and I think everyone has to do it just a little differently.      

I use a shop stool with a back rest. I needed a little extra height because my workbench is part of an old kitchen counter I re-allocated when I remodeled. I could go take a picture of it, but this is easier.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200483867_200483867?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Seats > Shop Seats %2B Stools&utm_campaign=Northern Tool&utm_content=20230&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=20230&gclid=COOApMeY-soCFQuGaQodqSQKAQ

My bench is 4 ft from the ground.so my  chair is a taller padded type with arm rests, it swivels and raises or lowers as needed . Next to my lighted magnifier, its the best investment I've made for modeling . I've sat there for probably 2 hours with no issues. Although getting once in a while is a good idea to just keep the circulation going in your feet and legs .plus grab parts, tools , paint, or refreshments.

You want to sit in a good quality office chair.  Anything sold in an office supply store (like Staples, Office Max etc) and less than $100 to $200 isn't professional quality and isn't good for you.  Plush and comfy isn't good,  you need a chair that properly supports you, and has adjustments to accommodate different sizes of people.  I literally had a presentation that showed how a $600 chair was cheaper than a $100 chair, that I used to give at professional meetings.  In short, you'd be much better off buying a used professional quality office chair, than a new cheapie.

Good names are Steelcase, Herman Miller, Knoll and Haworth.  Make sure you are looking at a desk chair (often called a task chair) with arms and not a conference room chair. The chair should have wheels and 5 legs, not 4.  The basic adjustments are seat height and back tilt. Better adjustments are seat pan tilt and depth, adjustable arms (both up and down and in and out) and mid-back adjustment.  Read a chart like this one below and learn the proper adjustments.  

office ergonomics information

Further details include having a work surface at the correct height that your legs fit under. You want to work straight and at the right level.  As others said, take a break every so often. Some sources say to get up and stretch every 30 minutes. As important is to give your eyes a break. You have been focusing close, so you want to vary that by looking at things more distant for a few minutes. I'll take a 10 minute break per hour where I get up stretch a bit and walk around.  

A most important tip to men is to get your wallet out of your rear pocket.  You are knocking your spine out of alignment by sitting at a tilt.  I keep my wallet in my front right pocket.

You can buy a good, name brand used office chair.  Look for a used office furniture store,  check Craigslist. Even ask local companies if they are getting rid of any chairs.  I have good Knoll chairs at my workbench and my office desk at home. A company moving left a dozen of them out by trash.  I took as many as would fit in my Dodge Caravan. I gave away several.

When buying a used chair, make sure all the adjustments work.  The biggest wear item is the pneumatic cylinder.  Try it with no weight on the chair and it should jump up to full height quickly.  Sit on it and set it to a height. Then sit still and make sure it maintains that height and doesn't sink.  Make sure the fabric is in good condition, you can always clean it if dirty.  Make sure the arm pads aren't chewed, especially rubber pads. Roll it over and look for tags. Most higher end chairs will have a data tag that will include the build date. These chairs do last 10-20 or more years in professional use. If over 10 years old make sure sitting in it is comfortable. I have had Steelcase chairs over 25 years old that the cushioning has compacted. Don't flinch at spending $100 or more on the right used chair. 

Probably a lot more info than needed!

Wow, Thanks for the replies guys, pretty much what 

I thought on a decent office chair.

Tom, thank you for a very informative post, ergonomics are more important as you start to feel age catching up, being an ex fisherman, forestry worker I have worked my body too hard and have various aches and niggles associated with said professions, so looking after myself now is definitely top priority.

Just the right amount of info I would say!

Thanks all

I forget the brand, my dad has the brochure at his office, but my mom got him a $900 office chair a couple years ago. Seems stupid, but holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH it is worth every penny. My dad has owned his own business for 35 years and I can remember growing up, on several occasions, watching him take his office chair out back and just beat the hell out of it. He has had dozens of chairs over the years and this is the first one he has really enjoyed. 

Also, If you have a major college or university near you (best ones likely are public institutions for this), they often have  "surplus & salvage" outlet, where they sell off unused furniture, often office furniture (Purdue does, where I work).   I've seen some pretty decent desk chairs go through that one.  Also, there are lumbar support cushions out there as well.

Art

I forget the brand, my dad has the brochure at his office, but my mom got him a $900 office chair a couple years ago. Seems stupid, but holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH it is worth every penny. My dad has owned his own business for 35 years and I can remember growing up, on several occasions, watching him take his office chair out back and just beat the hell out of it. He has had dozens of chairs over the years and this is the first one he has really enjoyed. 

:lol::lol: I've done that,..

I am using this one now,..

I think it was $50  WallyMart Special... no arms gets you closer to the benchtop,...

Arms means,..Too much lollygaggin" IMHO:lol:

Anywho,..until I beat the Carp out of it for something IT didn't do,..it's ok

Cheers

QUOTE>>>A most important tip to men is to get your wallet out of your rear pocket.  You are knocking your spine out of alignment by sitting at a tilt.  I keep my wallet in my front right pocket.

Absolutely correct. Feel much better since I have moved my wallet many years ago. Plus it makes it harder for pick pockets.

My wife bought a new chair for our office room computer and I allocated the old one, which there was absolutely nothing wrong with. Adjustable in every angle and has arm rests. I really like that it has arm rests, and they are adjustable as well.  Ken

Office chair here, bought on sale at Office Depot. Built-in lumbar support, arm rests, and has a hydraulic height adjustment.

I bought a chair and Office Max with lumbar support and keep my lower back against it and lean back and not stay bent over for long periods.  So many of the office chairs don't last as long as they should for the price...