Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

Tim, as always your reports are a fantastic preview of what is to come.  Thank you for taking the time to put so much detail into explaining the features of the 30 coupe.  The 32 grille, skeleton interior and stock wheel arches are great news. .  The choice of components sounds perfect to me and swapping stuff in and out is all part of the fun.

It will probably be Christmas before we see them however.  I got my first roadster off the net back in September 2015.  I just bought four more from my local hobby shop and NNL sponsor in late February.  I don't know which end of the supply chain is at fault but we seem to wait for an eternity to get new products in the southern hemisphere.  Local price is $49.95 but I saw a games shop the other day with the roadster for $59.95 - ouch!!!!!

I can see getting at least 5 coupes - the potential in these kits is huge!

Cheers

Alan

Interesting that they molded the visor in place.  I assume that was a separate part on that body in 1:1? 

Yes, it's a separate part, but from the factory it's quite literally nailed in place (to the wooden body framing), and forms the front edge tacking-strip of the soft roof insert. A lot of guys weld them in, but that makes it a real bugger to ever work on the wood framing again, if necessary.

$_1.JPG

EDIT: I have to believe that body is still made in at least two pieces (and is simply displayed assembled) as it's just about impossible to mold something like that, especially with the visor shown as it is, in one piece with conventional tooling.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I understand why they included the beauty rings and hubcaps, but it would have been nice if they'd included the steelies too. Everything else looks great.

The steel wheels ARE included in the kit, they are just not featured on the display board. They were probably just trying to highlight the new features, not the carry-overs from the roadster.

Awesome, thanks for the photos Mike! I've been eagerly waiting for shots of the kit for a week now.

Some thoughts:

-3 radiators, and electric fans molded into every one. That's nice for the neo-trad builds but no good for hardcore traditional builds. They look good overall though!

-tuck'n'roll interior, very nice. I had to adapt the Revell '32 5-window's interior to the Monogram '30 I finished last year to get the same result. It will be great to have the option of just building it out of the box!

-skeleton interior is awesome...but they inverted the detail! Everything that is supposed to be indented is raised. I wonder why that was done.

-bomber seats look great

-deuce grille, beautiful dash insert...lovely stuff

-I can't see the wheels clearly, but they look great from here.

-Raised firewall detail and overall firewall edge radius= still meh. Needs a Revell '30 tudor or AMT '30 woody piece patched in, and some heavy sanding on the edges.

I still can't quite tell if the visor area of the body has been changed since the early leaks. At least this version looks like it has the correct bead running across the top of the visor where it meets the roof, so that's good.

This kit can't get here soon enough, IMHO. :D

Oopsy doopsy. :D

I wasn't quoting Jantrix, but the "quote" function still seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

I WAS quoting Spex84..."skeleton interior...inverted the detail! Everything that is supposed to be indented is raised..."

One of the things I'd elected to not mention until I had the kit in-hand.

Must be another one of those different language / deadline or financial constraint / different culture / different time zone things again.

Or maybe the Chinese characters for "innie" and "outie" just rook too much arike?  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The steel wheels ARE included in the kit, they are just not featured on the display board. They were probably just trying to highlight the new features, not the carry-overs from the roadster.

There is at least one tree missing. There are no floorboards shown in the test shot pics.

There is at least one tree missing. There are no floorboards shown in the test shot pics.

Yes, but as i think someone else mentioned, the display was intended to show the new features, not necessarily the entire kit contents. They also had the body and some random pieces to the upcoming ’48 Ford Coupe. Even with limited viewable contents, that kit too looks like it will be a winner.

Yes, but as i think someone else mentioned, the display was intended to show the new features, not necessarily the entire kit contents. They also had the body and some random pieces to the upcoming ’48 Ford Coupe. Even with limited viewable contents, that kit too looks like it will be a winner.

Anyone get any pics of the '48 coupe?

Oh, and my thought on the skeleton panel with inverted detail: it's possible that recessed detail resulted in a very thin panel that warped and didn't fit right, so the choice was made to invert it, stiffen the panel, and retain the general "feel". Just a theory...

Regarding the comments on the "skeleton" interior.... 

The horizontal rib with the half circle on the upper section of the front door interior structure and the structure directly below the window opening does appear reversed, but the rest of the shape of the skeleton interior structure appears correct to me....here's the first 1.1 scale picture that popped up in an image search....1930 Model A interior passenger side door structure....   Maybe that's what you guys are saying and I misinterpreted...but at first read I thought you were saying the entire skeleton structure was inverted.. and I do not believe that is a correct statement.  Feel free to prove me wrong on this with photographic evidence....

Also, Dennis is correct - the Steelies are also in the kit.   

....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Whoops, pardon me, I just meant that the upper recessed stampings seem to have been inverted--the actual rib structure and cut-outs in the lower part of the doors look much more accurate to 1:1.

My statement was definitely an over-generalization. That's what happens when I get a little too excited and my brain short-circuits!

At this point it doesn't bother me if that little detail is off...it won't take much work to correct. Certainly less work than scratch-building interior panels! I built some '29 roadster inner door panels a while back and even that took more time than I'd expected. These new '30 parts will be a great starting point.