Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMX GT SHOW CAR RESIN KIT

If it can use a base kit that should keep the costs down.  HRM makes kits that sell ffrom $95 to about double that.  They are excellent quaility, sold in limited quantities and Brad does not seem to be losing money in the process.  Now, is anyone out there interested in making a Mustang Milano or better yet the Mach II showcar.  I'd buy both and they could be based on the 68 AMT Shelby and perhaps the Testors GT40 or just done as a slammer (no engine).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by vamach1

The higher the price of the product, the more correct it will need to be.  Working off of a half-dozen photos won't cut it anymore.  Because the 1:1 car wasn't a runner, the chassis and (maybe) the interior would leave room for interpretation, but the body had better look right if you expect to sell these. 

Yup, go for it. Since it was only a static concept car, I would think you might have more success and fewer headaches if you left chassis and running gear up to the buyer. Focus your efforts on the body, trim, glass and interior. Add a chassis plate if you must. Your price would then be more affordable to more builders and you could do two moldings up front to keep future production costs down and raise your production goal at the same time, assuming the demand for more than 25 will be there.

I know you're targeting the motivated buyer who will spend big coin for a limited production full kit. But you'll find more people promise to buy than who actually buy. I hope you post your progress in the Resin section.

Yup, go for it. Since it was only a static concept car, I would think you might have more success and fewer headaches if you left chassis and running gear up to the buyer. Focus your efforts on the body, trim, glass and interior. Add a chassis plate if you must. Your price would then be more affordable to more builders and you could do two moldings up front to keep future production costs down and raise your production goal at the same time, assuming the demand for more than 25 will be there.

I know you're targeting the motivated buyer who will spend big coin for a limited production full kit. But you'll find more people promise to buy than who actually buy. I hope you post your progress in the Resin section.

This is probably very good advice from a business standpoint.

It would also allow you to get to market quicker, and would allow you to better gauge the amount of real (as in spending money) interest there is out there.

Then, if it looks like there's a market for an upgraded offering with all the bells and whistles, you're already half way there, and you'll have income from the first version as you develop the upgrades.

I for one really like this car ! put me down for one ,I Have looked at doing this car for years but just can't bring myself to hack up a Johan  kit ,so I would take a resin cast any day of the week. there is a lot of work going on the kit ,and to make it look just right

will take some doing . OK guy's go for it! I'm In.

• 2 weeks later...

The way things are playing out, it's looking to me that what we were seeing in this thread was the laying of groundwork to eventually get a bunch of front-money from board members to either pre-order these kits (with payment, of course) or to 'invest' in the project.

The inflated claims of how complete and "professional" the offering would be kinda set off my stink alarm, and I think that when some of us started poking pins in the ol' hot-air balloon, the scam target morphed into getting as much in cash and kits as possible, quickly.

When it's well known that there are indeed people on the internet who have raised a lot of money by lying about having cancer, it's not that hard to believe some little POS would try to scam a bunch of car-modelers out of their 'disposable' income.

If Moonshine / Doc Devil are NOT pathetic scamming thieves, now would be a good time to prove it...man-up and take care of the people you OWE, and put the speculation to rest.

There are a lot of good people here, and I'm sure all would be forgiven if the suspect trades were completed and whatever money was received was returned.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This thread is a good reminder of why I've become very cynical of people and their "good intentions", especially in the last year or so. I don't want to badmouth any particular church or religion here------if you're interested in hearing my story, PM me and I can fill you in on all the details.

I will say that it's probably a good idea to ALWAYS keep your eyes open to scammers out there. They come in all shapes and sizes, and can appear to be very innocent when they're as rotten to the core as can be. With the economy the way it is, I can expect more of this type of thing, and unfortunately, it can affect those of us in our little world of model cars. :(

I'm guessing from what I'm reading here, and in other threads here, not to hold my breath waiting for this AMX show car to ever come out. The description of how they were going to do a high quality job on this, but couldn't find pictures of what the rear end looked like? Which took me less than a 5 minute search on the web. Raised flags for me. Thankfully, I'm not all that interested in subject. It's too bad for those who are.

Reading the other threads on this guy (or guys?), it's a shame that there are scammers out there. 99% of the people I've dealt with with here have been pretty straight forward. But, as the old saying goes, "If it sounds too good to be true. It probably is." In the case of this resin project, it sounded too good to be true.

Unclescott, if I can get off my duff and finish mine I could turn it over to Jimmy Flintstone to have it cast. Granted it would just be a body and the end builder would have to supply the chassis and Javelin parts to finish it. Or I could talk to Jim and see if he'd cast the Javelin bumper so a person wouldn't have to buy a Jo-Han kit just for that.... Glass would be the only problem for the end user but that could be sourced from something close enough....

I know I posted the fact that a direct low angled shot of the rear end isn't out there and that is what side lined my build because I wanted to get it right!!

Something else I thought a bit odd, but didn't think much of it till now. Whenever someone mentions about a new product they have that's coming out, they'll have some pics of examples of whatever it is they're making. This fellow had NOTHING but a bunch of words on a screen ostensibly saying this is what he's producing/about to produce.

No masters, no mockups, NADA!

That alone shouldn't pass the smell test especially coming from someone who has a very low post count. Not that it should matter much-------they could have been a long time lurker. I also found it interesting that since his cover's been "blown" so to speak, he's disappeared like a fart in the wind. ;)