Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra Dragonsnake – CSX2248 “El Cid”

afx

Shelby Cobra Dragonsnake – CSX2248 “El Cid”

Kit:  HRM Dragonsnake Trans-kit (cast from my original master) –body, hardtop, engine, wheels and tires

Base kit:   AMT Cobra

Engine:  Ford 289

·         dual intake – Revell 427 Cobra modified to fit the 289

·         valve covers – Revell  Shelby GT350  

·         coil and distributor – Replicas & Miniatures

·         scratch built headers and side pipes

You may be more familiar with the all black version of “El Cid” which competed in ’65.  I chose to model the original as delivered ’64 configuration; Princess (Viking) Blue, dark blue “small window” hardtop, dual 4V induction.  I chose to install black interior in lieu of the original red for personal reasons.  Also chose to install the full rear bumper in lieu of only the bumperettes.   Unfortunately decals do not exist for the racing graphics.  Hope you like it.

Click on the pictures to see them full size.

DSCN3339DSCN3337DSCN3341DSCN3344DSCN3345DSCN3348DSCN3331DSCN3319

Build thread :

Edited by afx

may I be the first to congratulate you on your excellent Dragonsnake Cobra. It is beautiful in all respects.  I am amazed at how good the wire wheels look which I assume are dechromed kit wheels painted and black washed.

Thanks Phil.  The wheels are actual resin and included in the trans-kit.  Typically wire wheels used in racing were not chromed, just painted silver.  Chroming weakened the spokes

DSCN3259

Edited by afx

Are those ancient MPC Goodyear Power Cushions on the front?

Could very well be Dan.  I had them in my parts box so I don't know the kit source.  I had to enlarge the center a bit to fit the wheels but they are correct for the Dragonsnake.

DSCN3277

Edited by afx

Congrats JC! Been following your build and have thoroughly enjoyed your skill in producing this particular Cobra and the rest as well. You are a master builder with an excellent eye for detail. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Misha

Thank you all for the kind comments and I am glad you guys enjoy the builds, I enjoy posting them.  I pulled the 427 off the shelf last night to get reacquainted with it.  I think that is the next one I will finish.