Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush or spray can?

Airbrush or Spray can?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use, airbrush or spray can?

• Airbrush
    • Spray can

Love my airbrush, hate cleaning it. 

Depending on what I want and what's available, I'll use either. It also depends on how much time I have and whether I feel like messing with the mess. 

I generally brush-paint small paints and use it for touch-up when needed.

Charlie Larkin

All of the above. I use cans for primer, simply because I can buy Walmart's cheap primer for about $4 a can and its as good as any prethinned airbrush paint. Dries fast and smooth. But when it comes to a factory paint colour, unless its brand new or a really popular colour you pretty much have to go with airbrush paints. I also hand paint almost all my small parts, even interior parts. I find airbrushing or spraying from a can gives them a very uniformed look on the surface and most vehicles don't have that type of look with all the different materials used on an interior. So I'd say Im about 33% can/airbrush/hand painting.

David

C  _  All of the above :)

I find the spray cans handy for under carriage work, but on bodywork they just put out too much paint, deadening the details,...

With the proper thinners and cleaners, the airbrush is just as handy, and lays out a nice coat,..

Brush painting, weathering, and detailing of small parts,..I have a collection of brushes for every job, and always need more,...<_<

Yeah, not casting a vote. I used nothing but rattle cans for years, then I used nothing but airbrush for years. For my airplanes, I use an airbrush for most of the model, but still use Tamiya cans for things like propellers, and anything in shades of black or yellow. For cars, I've been using cans for chassis parts, engines, and most interiors. The exterior finishes depend on what I'm doing. The Ford truck I just did was almost all can, but most of the cars on my shelf are finished with airbrush.

I use the tool I need for particular applications, even if it's painting. Think of it as asking - do you separate parts from trees with clippers or knives? It depends.

Dunno... but I use the same exact thingie as in the right side of your photo... B)

I guess all that really matters is I had to buy a second one of each, so my wife can use them on her nails. (I finally had to hide my Squadron sanding sticks and put a pile of nail files I bought from Sallys on the hobby table just for her to swipe when I'm not looking.)

I was removing the wheels from the sprues on an accurate Miniatures McLaren a few days back, and the plastic is SO SOFT that both the flush-cut clippers AND a brandy-new X-acto blade both deformed the parts. The only way I was able to get clean, no-damage removal was to cut chunks of sprue adjacent to the parts out with a cutoff-wheel on the Dremel, and then lay the parts / sprue sections on the bench so the actual cut line was completely supported, and do the cut with the knife. A real PITA.

I guess all that really matters is I had to buy a second one of each, so my wife can use them on her nails. (I finally had to hide my Squadron sanding sticks and put a pile of nail files I bought from Sallys on the hobby table just for her to swipe when I'm not looking.)

Yeah, it's hard to teach some women the meaning of "no". :D

I am a bit surprised at how this conversation has gone. It seems that people tend to view this as and "either/or" question as though there a right or wrong here. There isn't. Rattle cans, airbrushes, brushes, clippers, side cutters all are just tools. They suit everyone differently. A piece of this is about budget and part is about allocation of personal assets and time and a portion is about personal skills. I have drawers full of tools and have spent a fair chunk of change on it all.  It suits me.  I don't encourage anyone else to do the same but I like tools and each of my tools has a function that it does particularly well for me.  I use what makes me build to the best of my ability.  Trading information is a good thing and I hope that is what is happening here.  As with any creative endeavor, I would remind all that "The magic is in the magician not in the wand.":huh: 

Both.  Spray cans for flat or semi gloss.  Either for interiors.  Either for gloss colors on the exterior.  Air brush for Alclad, gloss clearcoats and some detail work.

For some air brushing, like Metalizers, I will use an external feed, single action since no complexity involved and easy to clean.  Otherwise I have 3 different Iwata and 2 Badger brushes, one each set up with side feed to use the Aztec bottles and cups.

For my compressor, I use a Silent Air unit that is quite quiet and has plenty of oomph for the brushes.