Model Cars Magazine Forum

A new trend selling kit parts?

Do hookers and coke fall under the category of "expenses?" :P

You betcha. "Hookers" get expensed out as "contract administrative assistants, temporary" and "coke" (make mine single malt scotch though) under "meeting supplies and refreshments" . B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You betcha. "Hookers" get expensed out as "temporary contract administrative assistants" and "coke" (make mine single malt scotch though) under "meeting supplies and refreshments" . B)

There are expensive and questionable mens clubs in NYC that depend on the corporate trade. Their receipts all have very legitimate  sounding restaurant and hotel names on them!   I saw it on the news!

There are expensive and questionable mens clubs in NYC that depend on the corporate trade. Their receipts all have very legitimate  sounding restaurant and hotel names on them!   

Yessir. That's the kind of stuff that made this country great! I'm sure plenty of Uncle's people partake of the pleasures to be had there too...on our dime.:D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I like this topic so I'm gonna weigh in my opinion...My answer is YES and NO in the same time.

What I mean by that is yes, I'm willing to buy a new set of wheels and tires, or a new windshield, or bumper if it's necessary for my project, unless the price is significantly higher than it's respected percentage of the kit.

As in, if a set of wheels and tires is $12 plus shipping from a kit that I can most likely but for $20 as a full kit, then I'll just get the kit -> But if it's a seller who is out to be reasonable and sells that same wheel and tire kit for $5 plus shipping, I'll do that.

I quite often do this with wheels and tires. I build mostly old school hot rods and customs so the big wheel rubber band tire packages that are in a lot of the kits nowadays as the optional set of hot rod wheels hold no interest for me. However, I know a lot of guys like them. So I quite often will sell them at model swap meet for between$4 and $6 a set depending on how much I paid for the kit. Works well for me to get rid of parts that I was not going to use any way to be able to make the kit cheaper for me in the end.

For example, the Revell 50 Ford pickup (yellow truck on the box art). I have sold several of them minus both sets of the wheels and tires and the complete Ardun converted flat head. I keep the flathead and the skinny wheels and white wall tires and small hubcap for myself sell the big dia wheels and tires off separately and then sell the rest of the kit. I mark it as being incomplete, missing engine and wheels and tires and I usually still get $10 for what is left of it. I will get between 5 and $6 for the large diameter wheels and tires out of it and that makes my engine, wheels and tires pretty cheap.

This is common with most every hobby. I used to restore old tractors, and people would part out perfectly good tractors to make more money off of the parts. I have no problem with people asking what ever they want for their merchandise because I have the option of saying no thank you and walk away. I frequent Ebay looking for model truck kits and some of those parts for sale at insane prices have been listed for two years and have not sold. There is a glue bomb 8v-92 Detroit that keeps popping up from time to time without selling, and it is very clearly the same one. With that said, I have also purchased a few parts to keep from buying an entire kit when it was cost effective. Remember: an item is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. That is why everything that I have is not worth anything. (L.O.L.)

And some of the parts bidders can get overexcited - I recently saw the tires and wheels (stock and custom) from the new '36 Ford kit bid up to over $20 - from a kit that's just been double marked down for clearance at HL for $8.38. Knew I shoulda' bought both instead of just one...

I was self employed most of my working life. Retired now.  Profit is not always as it appears. There is gross profit and there is net profit. And there is sometimes a wide gap in between. Consider the time spent purchasing the product...the time spent inventorying the parts...then packaging the parts for identifying them later....advertising...then the actual sale...After that the buyer (ebay or whatever) may never actually pay for the product...if buyer pays, then repackaging them and shipping the product to the buyer.. I have never sold on ebay or any other media...I'm a chronic buyer myself.

There are expensive and questionable mens clubs in NYC that depend on the corporate trade. Their receipts all have very legitimate  sounding restaurant and hotel names on them!   I saw it on the news!

The legal "oldest profession" establishments in Nevada use official business names quite different from the ones normally associated with them, again to appear benign on credit card statements.  Throws wives (and probably taxpayers) off the trail...

The legal "oldest profession" establishments in Nevada use official business names quite different from the ones normally associated with them, again to appear benign on credit card statements.  Throws wives (and probably taxpayers) off the trail...

Corporations no doubt foot the bill for some of these!   Once you've got an executive who has partaken in these sins on your dime, he is sure to sign your contract or sales order!  :P

"Who are the clowns who buy this stupid-money garbage and then post glowingly positive feedback?"

Some of these people maintain multiple accounts, and cross-post positive feedback to themselves. I first noticed it when I found a seller who was selling kits for $3.99 with $35 shipping. Turned out most of the completed sales were to accounts that had been created in the same month as the seller's and they all spoke in a similar fashion.

It bugs me when people buy brand new kits, open the box, and sell, say, the wheels for $15 and the exhaust pipes for $10 and so on. Ridiculous.

The other thing is, I like to be able to search for kits by price--but that means there are dozens of pages of decals, instructions, and separated-out parts to wade through. If there WERE any kits for a decent deal, they'd be completely hidden amid the the chaff.

I don't really see leaving cross feedbacks for oneself over multiple accounts as being very frequent, especially at those prices.  EBay charges a 10% fee per sale (including shipping).  I suppose, of course, some sellers might feel feedback is worth $3.90 each.

Search parameters can be tailored to a great extent.  If you're looking for a specific kit, you probably won't receive a great number of hits.  Simply minus out everything you don't want ( -decals -instructions -parts, etc.) and refine it over time in a saved search.  If you look for all kits in general, or 'Ford,' 'Chevy,' 'Mustang,' etc., you'll still get hundreds or thousands of hits whether you add general parameters or not.  That's only to be expected.  For that reason, I always search for specific ranges only.

This thread seems like deja-vou all over again. I seem to recall a similar thread not too long ago (in this forum too).

Well Sir, I didn't see it and yes I did a search, so stared something I though may be of interest. 

I don't check in every day or read every post so I expect multiple similar topics crop up now and again :)

Well Sir, I didn't see it and yes I did a search, so stared something I though may be of interest. 

I don't check in every day or read every post so I expect multiple similar topics crop up now and again :)

I didn't expect you to search first - I was just making a statement.  This is the thread I was thinking of.

Edited by peteski

I didn't expect you to search first - I was just making a statement.  This is the thread I was thinking of.

Ok just had a look and their are a few threads on parts sellers. To be honest If I were a rich guy with an unbelievable amount of money i would just stick a silly bid in and just about know i would win, whether someone would bid me up would not matter as my banks interest would be accumulating at such a vast rate(I base this on the oil sheik sons accumulating parking tickets at the Dorchester a  few years ago).

I had not seen kit bits sold as single items though, many looking from new mouldings, read grey plastic.
Recently I built some slot cars from Monograms 1/32 scale stuff using only the bodies, glass and chrome parts so may offer the rest to anyone who may make use of it. If they only sell for a little, as long as it the price covers the listing fees and my walk to the post office it's a better rate of interest than money in the bank.

Thanks Pete, I'm going to have a good read through that thread, some interesting points in there :)

Seeya, J

Now has anyone got that headlight for my Monogram Sport Coupe.

I buy parts sometimes but only for realistic prices. One kit I like a lot is the Revell/Monogram F 350 Dually. I have bought glue bombs of this kit and needed parts but have realized If I don't need more than one of the same part then it's cheaper to buy a sealed kit than it is to replace two small parts from ebay parts sellers. Sad part is that the upcoming reissue won't change the asking prices for parts, it will just give the sellers more stock.

Some sellers are selling parts for kits that are still available like the 77 GMC wrecker, and they want $15 + for wheels and tires. To me if a seller wants that much for a single part or sub assembly to a kit that sells for $20 then I'll just buy the whole kit. Right now there is this same wheel tire set with bad chrome listed at $27.99, They are molded in orange so are an older release but What issue date matters when the sprues are cut and the parts can never be added to an unbuilt kit to make a complete unsealed original? Sure they have the Good Year lettering but in my opinion that doesn't justify the bloated price...

I need an AMT 84 GMC grill but refuse to pay $15 from ebay parts sellers so I'll end up buying a new kit of that as well. When you figure in the $15 asking price and the jacked up shipping costs it ends up being only a few dollars difference

Ebay in my opinion is the driving force that causes insane kit prices. It used to be that unsold kits either sat on shelves for years or were sent to liquidation stores like Big Lots etc.. Back then it was common to buy a 10 year old kit for the same price or less than a new release of a similar type kit. These days ebay sellers gooble up kits to sit on until store shelves are empty and online retailers start selling out then they triple the price and wait. 

My first ebay account was banned by ebay after I made a complaint about a seller on their forums. It was because the seller was claiming kits that were for sale in walmart stores were RARE and was listing them at $15+ when the kits on the store shelves were plentiful and listed at $8 and change. My irritation was the fact that the entire listing was full of references to the kits being RARE, DISCONTINUED, VERY HARD TO FIND, VINTAGE etc. None were true claims.

Also ebayers can use multiple accounts to jack up their feedback. Back when you could actually see who bought an item you could also find out whether the paid or backed out. 

A few years ago I bid on the Lindburg Dodge truck and trailer kit but was outbid so I looked at other listings and purchased a different item. Then the seller from the original listing sent me a second chance offer to get the kit at the price that the shill bidder offered, I declined then looked at the shill bidders bid history. That person had bid on only a half dozen or so auctions in 2 years of existence and all but one bid was with this seller. I informed ebay of this scheme but alas the seller is still active and so is the shill account, with new bids.

I think with the modelhaus closing people are afraid they won't be able to get parts to restore their old built up's and many people not wanting to buy new kits just for a specific part is why we see these insane prices.I've bid on old built up kit parts that I want only to be outbid in some cases minutes later and to see some of the final sale prices shocks me,i think this is a trend to stay on ebay.People are either going to have to learn to cast their own parts or put ads in the wanted or trade section and hope someone will come through for them,or scratchbuild what they need.

I will admit to doing this once several years ago. I got a Revell 32 Ford as a gift and since I had 2 already I decided to list it on ebay. Rather than list the kit as a whole I split it into 4 auctions.   1-- wheels and tires.  2-- engine, 3-- chassis with suspension,, 4-- body and interior. I listed the parts with a starting price of 1.99 each. When the auction was over I was surprised to see that the total of the auctions was 47.00 ! I think I paid 13.00 for the shipping for all. Never did it again. I do sell a set of tires and wheels once in awhile.

I will admit to doing this once several years ago. I got a Revell 32 Ford as a gift and since I had 2 already I decided to list it on ebay. Rather than list the kit as a whole I split it into 4 auctions.   1-- wheels and tires.  2-- engine, 3-- chassis with suspension,, 4-- body and interior. I listed the parts with a starting price of 1.99 each. When the auction was over I was surprised to see that the total of the auctions was 47.00 ! I think I paid 13.00 for the shipping for all. Never did it again. I do sell a set of tires and wheels once in awhile.

When you operate like that, you ARE doing a service to other modelers. Starting the individual auctions at a realistic price and letting the bidders drive it up is a perfectly fair way to go. If you quadruple your investment, it's because the bidders WANTED to pay that much. No problemo. You list the parts once, probably, get your money, pay your fees, and you don't tie up server space for thousands of listings that never sell but keep getting re-listed and re-listed and re-listed forever.

It's not at all the same as starting bidding for one part at almost the same money that you can buy the whole kit for, like Mr. Piggy Jerk Toys.

When you operate like that, you ARE doing a service to other modelers. Starting the individual auctions at a realistic price and letting the bidders drive it up is a perfectly fair way to go. If you quadruple your investment, it's because the bidders WANTED to pay that much. No problemo. You list the parts once, probably, get your money, pay your fees, and you don't tie up server space for thousands of listings that never sell but keep getting re-listed and re-listed and re-listed forever.

It's not at all the same as starting bidding for one part at almost the same money that you can buy the whole kit for, like Mr. Piggy Jerk Toys.

Bill makes a very good point. To add a bit, "parting out" model kits for sale is not at all a new phenomenon:  It's been going on as long as we've had model car shows & swap meets frankly.  30-35 years ago, there was a pair of Chicago-area modelers who regularly toted a Cadillac hearse (Yes, a Cadillac hearse) loaded with boxes of.........model car parts.  I don't think they ever got wealthy off of that, but for every critic of what they did, there were more that jumped at the chance to go through their stuff for that set of mags, that elusive engine, so on, and on and on and on.

Art

I like this topic so I'm gonna weigh in my opinion...My answermovies YES and NO in the same time.

What I mean by that is yes, I'm willing to buy a new set of wheels and tires, or a new windshield, or bumper if it's necessary for my project, unless the price is significantly higher than it's respected percentage of the kit.

As in, if a set of wheels and tires is $12 plus shipping from a kit that I can most likely but for $20 as a full kit, then I'll just get the kit -> But if it's a seller who is out to be reasonable and sells that same wheel and tire kit for $5 plus shipping, I'll do that.

(Just like those a-hole sellers who put up dually beds for $25-30 on ebay *just the bed* because they know duallies are big money these days - even snap kits go for $60-70)

i agree with you...I would the same.does make to pay alot of money for parts when you add a little to it and get the parts you want plus ones for other projects or trades.and I don't like rare kits being broken into parts and sold...I think its wrong,but there not my kits so I can't say.......Chris 

Look at the bid history. The winner has only one win on ebay to date. A total newb, and odds are he won't pay for the engine pieces. It happens a LOT. The other bidders on that auction only have 12 and 179 bids. Newbs too, and obviously have no clue as to what things are worth.

I've actually seen clowns bid on model car parts thinking they were getting the deal of the century on REAL parts too, and that has occasionally sent the prices skyrocketing. It's happened so often, some sellers post in big red letters THESE ARE MODEL CAR PARTS, NOT FOR REAL CARS. 

There's still no shortage of morons. B)