Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT A-Team Van

Any particular reason that you're looking for that specific version of the Chevy-come-GMC van ?

Assuming that you're looking for the A-TEAM van  for that reason alone ; it's an okay kit . The GMC-specific grille is decent (can't vouch for its accuracy) , but the rest of the kit is lacking :

- No side marker lenses ;

- No 'GMC' emblems (other than the grille) ;

- "Butchered" driver's seat (to facilitate the Mr. T figure) .

If you're looking to build a GMC van sans any 'A-TEAM' livery , you'd be dollars ahead by buying the new(er) Chevy Van reissues , as those include the side marker lenses and a restored interior ; then all you'd need to get would be the GMC grille ( although , no one makes GMC hubcaps nor emblems , at least that I'm aware of ... ) .

Well, I got an A-Team kit to build my daughter's '85 GMC Van. I was really surprised at what was there ... I consider it of good quality. I especially hated hiding that engine .. a VERY nicely detailed engine. I used most of the parts in my build except for any of the A-Team specific ones. Even the Mr. Tee figure was well done. I did modify a lot, like cutting out the windows and interior finishing. There are no interior panels other than the driver's compartment. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, especially if you have a specific build in mind. BTW, it does include the GMC and Chevy front grill and bumpers. This was a modification of the Chevy van previously released ... in many configuration

Edited by Foxer

Any particular reason that you're looking for that specific version of the Chevy-come-GMC van ?

Assuming that you're looking for the A-TEAM van  for that reason alone ; it's an okay kit . The GMC-specific grille is decent (can't vouch for its accuracy) , but the rest of the kit is lacking :

- No side marker lenses ;

- No 'GMC' emblems (other than the grille) ;

- "Butchered" driver's seat (to facilitate the Mr. T figure) .

If you're looking to build a GMC van sans any 'A-TEAM' livery , you'd be dollars ahead by buying the new(er) Chevy Van reissues , as those include the side marker lenses and a restored interior ; then all you'd need to get would be the GMC grille ( although , no one makes GMC hubcaps nor emblems , at least that I'm aware of ... ) .

The reissued version of the rescue van has a smooth roof.

The A-team Van has a correct ribbed roof, and it also has both a GMC grille and a Chevy grille. It is actually better in many ways than the original Chevy van from '71. The body is a different tool from the re-issued Chevy, though very similar. The chassis is essentially the same. I've got an original issue molded in black, and a re-issue molded in dark gray. Both have lenses for everything, John, maybe yours were missing?

The later issue for sure has 2 sets of seats, low back and high backs. 

GMC grille is good, though I'm far from expert. The window van option is not there, side panels molded in like the re-issue Chevy, and pretty much everything since they started putting those dopey round windows in about '74. If you want windows, only real option is 71-74 issues of the Chevy (Fire 71, Police 72, Drag-Surf 73, Open Road 74?, I think).

I had all of them new, and I don't even like vans that much. WIsh I had any handy for pics, they're all in storage. 

Weren't they going to re-issue Open Road at one point?? 

Edited by keyser

I've got an original issue molded in black, and a re-issue molded in dark gray. Both have lenses for everything, John, maybe yours were missing?

--I've had every iteration of the A-TEAM van , and none of them had the side marker lenses (nor were the parking lamp lenses present for the Chevy version) . I used to buy them at Kay-Bee Toys back in the 80's if for nothing else , the tyres and 'steel' wheels . Heck , they were selling 'em for 50 ¢ !  When RC-2 reissued the 'Team van in c.2003 , I bought a few of those , too . Again , none of them had the aforementioned lamp lenses (other than , of course , the tail lamps) . The advantage to the RC-2 issue was that the parts that were originally chrome were again plated (the original AMT release had zero chrome parts !)

--I don't remember that 2 sets of seats in the RC-2 release ( ? ) .

--There were some rumblings of restoring the tooling to the Open Road version ; however , that ostensibly never materialised ...

The roof cerainly is different . The original AMT annuals had smooth roofs , IIRC ; the A-TEAM version has the ribs , but is also 'plagued' with the "forced-option" sunroof and roof lights .

I agree regarding the engine ! It is a nice piece ! A nice SBC with a TH-350 (or is it a TH-400 ?) backing it up . The only downside to it is the 4-paddle fan ; totally incorrect for virtually any V8 engine after c.1965 !

The A-team Van has a correct ribbed roof, and it also has both a GMC grille and a Chevy grille. It is actually better in many ways than the original Chevy van from '71. The body is a different tool from the re-issued Chevy, though very similar. The chassis is essentially the same. I've got an original issue molded in black, and a re-issue molded in dark gray. Both have lenses for everything, John, maybe yours were missing?

GMC grille is good, though I'm far from expert. The window van option is not there, side panels molded in like the re-issue Chevy, and pretty much everything since they started putting those dopey round windows in about '74. If you want windows, only real option is 71-74 issues of the Chevy (Fire 71, Police 72, Drag-Surf 73, Open Road 74?, I think).

I had all of them new, and I don't even like vans that much. WIsh I had any handy for pics, they're all in storage. 

Open Road is the one I'd really like to see come back. It came out a little earlier than 1974 Christian. I bought and built one in August of 1972, while staying with a cousin up in Cloquet, MN. I also bought and built my first Deroa at the same time. I remember my cousin buying two now classic JoHan kits at the same time. Both Cadillacs. One was the '66 ambulance. The other, the '72 Eldorado. We bought the four kits at a local department store, the kind a lot of smaller towns had back then, in downtown Cloquet.

The grille and bumpers are pretty accurate for an '83/'84 lower trim level single headlight grille. They had the lenses molded in though.

The upper level vans used quad headlights. The body also has a character line on the lower 1/2 that the earlier vans didn't have. 

Plus you get a nice air dam and set of fender flares.

The cut up driver's seat was no loss as it was an ugly custom peice to start with. 

AMT should have updated the seats and dash at the time too but didn't bother.

I have 2 of the A-Team issue

1 I bought New and have started, the second a Yardsale Glue-Bomb find.

Never did see the re-issue,, would have loved to knowing the chrome tree was again plated as in

I have had a few of the Chevy van kits myself

First was the Original of the Fire Rescue version

I also have 2 of the Penski Race team set

That issue also had the Window van option, though I don't believe it had the passenger bench seats

I just looked at my unbuilt though Incomplete kit 

It happens to be missing the Van Body!!!!!!

Even with the original kit's Opening Hood, you could Not see the engine!!!

You need to either leave the interior engine cover loose/Off

or fine a way to make it removable!!

(but getting inside the van to pop it off!!!!)

Odd thing about that character line, some of the older ones didn't have it, the '78 and '87 Beauville window vans we had both had the lines that ran from the front doors back, but I've seen some that started in the sidedoor(s)/side panel too though?!

There was no character line from 1971-76. The character line started in 1977 & continued till 1984. From 1984 on, the line continued onto the front doors.

• Thanks 1

Open Road is the one I'd really like to see come back

I believe the reissue of the Rescue Van but a dapper on that happening , as they filled in the side window opening on the tooling for the reissue.  Assuming you are talking about the camper van kit.

I could be also completely wrong, but that is what I recall hearing.

Edited by martinfan5

I believe the reissue of the Rescue Van but a dapper on that happening , as they filled in the side window opening on the tooling for the reissue.  Assuming you are talking about the camper van kit.

I could be also completely wrong, but that is what I recall hearing.

The Open Road was the camper version. It and the original Rescue Van could be built with both windows or solid side panels. As could all of the early versions of this generation AMT Chevy van. In the mid-70's they lost the option to be built as a solid cargo van or a window van. The solid cargo side panels were then made permanent. By the mid-70's kids were not interested in window vans, as custom vans were then the big trend. The lack of the window option I'm sure is the main reason the Open Road camper has never been reissued. The right side of the camper really needed the windows. The instructions for Open Road showed using either the windows or a solid panel on the left side. With the layout of the camping equipment in the van, the solid panel made more sense in the build. The left side solid panel even had an option for installing one small window over the kitchen sink. 

I went thru a half dozen bodies and kits looking for one with the window cutouts when building the replica of my daughter's van. I don't get why they would even bother removing them since it only removed an option from their kit.

I went thru a half dozen bodies and kits looking for one with the window cutouts when building the replica of my daughter's van. I don't get why they would even bother removing them since it only removed an option from their kit.

If it was a tooling issue that had to be repaired with a new slide that might have been the reason. It would have been faster and cheaper to make it smooth with no windows or markings for them. 

I found an Open Road camper at a flea market for $5.  All the camper parts were still there, except one small side curtain which is easily replaced. Even the small "Open Road" decals still look OK. 

But the previous owner slopped some thick white paint...or maybe glue...on the body passenger side.  I've tried everything from acetone to lacquer thinner to brake fluid and nothing has removed that stuff, whatever it is.  Not even Easy-Off, which has always removed everything.

I also have 2 unbuilt original Rescue Vans with the side windows. I'll keep trying to remove The Goop from the camper, because I really don't want to sacrifice one of those mint bodies.

And yes, those bodies with the open sides are VERY fragile.  Even more so after you cut out the roof for the raised camper top.

Nostalgia: I remember trying to build an Open Road camper when they were new. Tried to cut out the roof panel with a #11 X-Acto blade. Promptly stabbed myself and bled all over the white plastic. Or as I liked to say, I put a lot of myself into that kit...

I've purchased the Dirty Donny van and the Rescue Van in their recent incarnations. The Dirty Donny version took care of my need for a 70's custom van. The Rescue version, a stock Chevy cargo van. Now if RCII could bring the window version back. I would for sure buy at least another one. Maybe more. Especially if it was the Open Road version. It would be cool to have the option to be able to build an 8 or 12 passenger window van also. Plus I might consider building a rescue van/ambulance using windows on the right side only, and the interior equipment from the present Rescue Van kit. In the "old" days, a lot ambulances had side windows. Plus, that way you can more easily see the recuse equipment inside the model itself. Which is a little hard to see in a blanked out cargo van.

Other van kits that have come out recently, the AMT '75 Ford and MPC Dodge, I've been happy with just option of building straight cargo vans out of them. I do wish that RCII could bring back the early 70's Dodge Sportsman van with the windows and the seats. Plus the 1/20 scale MPC Ford Chateau passenger version of that van. I did not go for, or like the off road version of that kit they reissue recently.

But the previous owner slopped some thick white paint...or maybe glue...on the body passenger side.  I've tried everything from acetone to lacquer thinner to brake fluid and nothing has removed that stuff, whatever it is.  Not even Easy-Off, which has always removed everything.

Buy a reissue and cut up the sides. Pretty flat, can keep the window area hopefully, or use as a template for cutting new holes. Just a thought. If you don't want to try that, hunt down a friend/club member that may help. Worst case, stalk ebay for a builder. I scored a nice pile of parts I needed to restore a window van for <$15 on evilbay.

Every single new van I had in the window days either had a cracked cowl, or developed one. If they'd have molded hood shut, body would have been much more sturdy to start, and open hood shows minimal detail. 

One of the newer molds has solid sides and rear doors, one has solid sides and rear window doors. I think the A-team is solid, and the Chevy has windows??  

Rear door windows were closed off at the same time the side panels were altered

I have a few of those issues

"Sunchaser" being one I have 3-4 of.

NO rear door windows, sides cast solid.

And Yes A-Team is the same.

The 2 kits I have With the Windows in the rear doors, and the option of windows

or closed side panels are the original run of the Rescue, and the Penski Team set.

I am restoring the Rescue, but need a couple bench seats to make a Passenger van build out of her

I used the window inserts, so..........

• 6 years later...

I was wondering, are the prices of the A Team van crazy because the tooling was irreparably backdated when the Dirty Donny version came out? I built this van from the recent rescue van and you can see the roof rib marks from the A team van ( I reused the roof skin to make the tall top)

20220410_115252.jpg

Edited by Hondamatic