Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Shelby GT500 for a Friend

Kmb0319

One of my wife's best friends is a great girl.... one of those people who can walk into any environment and immediately fit in with most everyone, while still maintaining her own personality.  She is also a creative person, having been involved in music and theater, and now has a business doing balloon animals for children's parties all over the state.

We hadn't seen her in a while, but she came over a couple weeks ago.  While hanging out, we got talking cars, and I was finishing up my 67 Shelby I just posted.  She thought it was really cool, and said a Shelby Mustang was her all-time dream car.  She wasn't sure which year, but said "the one that kind of looked like a boat."  A-HA!  I pulled a picture up on my phone, and sure enough, it was the 1969 Shelby GT500.  Revell has nice kits of both the convertible and coupe, so I asked her what her dream Shelby would look like:

"A convertible in that pretty light blue metallic that they made them in, with a white interior, white stripes and blue glitter shift knob and steering wheel."  OK, done, done, done...huh?  That last one is gonna throw me a little, but I'll make it happen.

• Duplicolor Bahama Blue paint, Rustoleum acrylic crystal clear
  • Wired the engine, added a starter and ran the vacuum hose from the air cleaner to the breather.  Also ran some wires from the master cylinder and added battery cables
  • Used some 235/60 BFG tires from Fireball Modelworks, as the kit tires were too low profile to fill the fenderwells
  • Glitter fabric paint made up the wheel and shift knob
  • I've trimmed up the "hinges" a little... have a little more to do to get the hood to sit all the way down, but I'll deliver it to her this week.  It was really fun to build something for someone else...  I hope she likes her dream car in miniature.

69_Shelby_10.thumb.jpg.289cc4229d7eeaf9a

This kit does have a VERY nicely done engine:

69_Shelby_1.thumb.jpg.4ffec8e99e81050e52

69_Shelby_2.thumb.jpg.61dc530fcba03550e8

69_Shelby_3.thumb.jpg.6efeec8593986ef34d

69_Shelby_4.thumb.jpg.006430b71ee37fb0dc

69_Shelby_5.thumb.jpg.f26f36cdbeba092587

69_Shelby_11.thumb.jpg.cfcf6602ce5ecf4f8

It's convertible weather!!!

69_Shelby_9.thumb.jpg.03976a5a7ca2303ef9

69_Shelby_8.thumb.jpg.c3c839efb03ee47bb1

69_Shelby_12.thumb.jpg.5d5c9b91d716df987

That is such a nice Mustang!!! Excellent work!!! I'm sure the lady will love it! I'd buy her a case to go with it because most folks don't realize how bad dust can destroy a model. I'm thinking of building my dad a 57 chevy for his birthday as it's his favorite car. A gift like that has so much more meaning that something picked up off a shelf at wal mart.

That is such a nice Mustang!!! Excellent work!!! I'm sure the lady will love it! I'd buy her a case to go with it because most folks don't realize how bad dust can destroy a model. I'm thinking of building my dad a 57 chevy for his birthday as it's his favorite car. A gift like that has so much more meaning that something picked up off a shelf at wal mart.

I will pick up a case at Hobby Lobby before I take it over to her.....  THANKS!

Great build, I was thinking of using Krylon Metalcast silver base and a transparent blue for the steering wheel and shift knob, I used the Orange Anodizing color over that base for a Cragar metalflake wheel in a Hemi Hydro build a while back. That's a really coarse metallic silver and makes a good metalflake simulation under a candy color, for a model, to enhance the metalflake effect I use a good coat of clear before putting the transparent color coat on, it adds a little more depth and sparkle to the effect.