Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra 427 – CSX3016 Sebring '66

afx

Base Kit: Sunny/Academy/Minicraft 427 Cobra

Kit Bashed:  Revellogram 427 Cobra – front suspension, hood, radiator, oil cooler, electrical boxes and wheels

Engine:

·         block/transmission – Revell Parts Pack 427

·         intake manifold, carburetor, cold air box and headers – Revellogram 427 Cobra

·         valve covers – Fujimi 427 Cobra

·         distributor and coil – Replicas & Miniatures

Tires:  Historic Racing Miniatures

Decals:  Vintage Racing Miniatures – Big Block Snake #1

Scratch-built:  dash, roll bar, side pipes, remote oil tank, radiator shroud, dual batteries and tray

Build time: 6 months

This is the much maligned Minicraft/Sunny/Academy 427 Cobra kit not the Revell/Monogram kit.  I wanted a 1:25 scale 427 to fit into the rest of my 1:25 scale Cobra collection.

DSCN3470DSCN3533DSCN3475DSCN3536DSCN3474DSCN3476DSCN3478DSCN3481

Edited by afx

Thank you gentlemen.  VRM was kind enough to send me a set of the incorrectly printed decals along with some additional stripe snippets.  As luck would have it the issue with the sheet only affects the '66 Sebring car. The way the stripes are currently printed the red stripe is on the driver side (which is incorrect) .  I was able to splice together the stripes to achieve the correct orientation (red stripe on the passenger side).  VRM is working to correct the error. These decals are some of the best I have ever used - highly recommended.  The decals on the build are applied directly to the paint with no clear coat on top.

11 427Cobra6GrossmanLowther-viPicture

Edited by afx

JC  ,looks   great  a long with the rest of the cobra  builds.   cobras  sure  are hard to keep track  of.   3016  raced at  sebring  like your build.  then  crashed  at watkins glen. the driver Bob Grossman  sold it  and bought 

3022  and it raced  gold with black stripes  #6.    3016 was restored blue/white stripe #7        3022  was restored  just like the #6  sebring  car        i  think  i have this info  right,  hard to tell with these  cars.

JC  ,looks   great  a long with the rest of the cobra  builds.   cobras  sure  are hard to keep track  of.   3016  raced at  sebring  like your build.  then  crashed  at watkins glen. the driver Bob Grossman  sold it  and bought 

3022  and it raced  gold with black stripes  #6.    3016 was restored blue/white stripe #7        3022  was restored  just like the #6  sebring  car        i  think  i have this info  right,  hard to tell with these  cars.

Thanks Bill.  It can be challenging to keep them all straight.  I finally tracked down a reasonable priced copy of the SAAC Registry and this helps a lot.

sl1600-vi.jpg

Thank you gentlemen.

Bob if you pickup the Academy kit you can check out my build thread to see how far you want to take your build.  The basic kit has some good bones but needs a little work to make a correct 427.

Shay, I file away the molded in wipers on the windscreen and added a strip of .010" x .080" styrene to simulate the rubber gasket on the 1:1.  It leaves me with no semblance of wipers but I get a better fit.  I think the compromise is worth it.

Edited by afx