Model Cars Magazine Forum

Strangest Thing On Your Workbench?

I have to share this. Below are 2 pictures taken about 15 minutes ago of my workbench, and something that I never expected to have on my bench, or in my garage!

This is a very alive and very young southern california rattlesnake I took from one of our barn cats this morning when I realized what he had. Hopefully tomorrow we can get hold of the Sonoma County reptile rescue, I am hoping to avoid killing it if I can get it somewhere safer...

Just thought I would share, hope to see some other interesting things in here!

Unless someone has a dinosoaur, that has to be the strangest.

My herpitologist daughter would not approve of killing the snake, as they do occupy an ecological niche (as opposed to mosquitos and fire ants).  You're doing the right thing contacting reptile rescue.  Is the cat OK?

Thankfully the snake is small enough, every time it struck at the cat, it couldn't get an angle to hit the cat. He is actually doing great, and looking for more of them. We have had a snake explosion on the property the last few months. I swear I had a moment last night looking at the snake and the model kits, and I was trying to figure out if the snake was to scale for an interior...

Strangest thing on my workbench? An empty spot. As far as the rattlesnake goes, is there enough rattlesnake skin on It to upholster the interior of a model car? Real rattlesnake skin might be the difference between winning a trophy and not winning a trophy at a model contest! :D

You win.

What he said!!!!!!!!!!!

X3!!!

I commend you for not killing that thing Lonnie, but with that said, 

I HATE SNAKES!!!!

I would have been running screaming like a little girl even seeing a little one like that, you'd see how fast a fat boy can run!!!:lol::o:huh:

Thankfully the snake is small enough, every time it struck at the cat, it couldn't get an angle to hit the cat. He is actually doing great, and looking for more of them. We have had a snake explosion on the property the last few months. I swear I had a moment last night looking at the snake and the model kits, and I was trying to figure out if the snake was to scale for an interior...

Nothing like a PURE snake skin interior.. ;)

So what finally became of the Rattler?

Not particularly "strange" but one of the more unusual things on my bench a while back was a little girl's toy horse. She had dropped it and broken one of its legs. She had a collection of little horses and apparently this one was her favorite. According to her nanny at the time, who was my friend, she was pretty upset and when her parents offered to get her another identical one, she wouldn't have it; she loved THIS horse.

The nanny brought it to me to see if I could repair it, and I could see why the girl liked it so much. About 1/16 scale and beautifully proportioned in a pose that practically defined horsey movement, it was a very high quality model. I drilled and pinned its leg back on using a steel pin and aviation epoxy for strength, then post-cured it like it was a flying part, and sculpted the musculature back to what it was supposed to be.

Lucky for me, the horse was a bay (with black legs). Painting was relatively easy, and the repair was absolutely undetectable.

Took something close to 10 hours, but the look on the little girl's face when I gave her her "well" horse back would have been worth 100...easy.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy