Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '30 Model A coupe w/inline 6 - final update 7/24

Jantrix

Thanks very much guys. Unfortunately due to a sad need to make a living, my building has been pretty much Friday night, Saturday, Sunday. So progress is slower than I'd like. But things are coming along and this will be getting finished with only one visit to the bench. It won't be a contest quality, but she'll look great on the shelf. The immediate plans are to plumb the remote oil filter, build the exhaust system and the intake tube on the Paxton with a cone air filter. I'll try to get a mock up shot tonight. More soon.

Thanks very much guys. Unfortunately due to a sad need to make a living, my building has been pretty much Friday night, Saturday, Sunday. So progress is slower than I'd like. But things are coming along and this will be getting finished with only one visit to the bench. It won't be a contest quality, but she'll look great on the shelf. The immediate plans are to plumb the remote oil filter, build the exhaust system and the intake tube on the Paxton with a cone air filter. I'll try to get a mock up shot tonight. More soon.

fully understand. My bench time has also become extremely limited. Just enjoy y when you can.

Points for originality! So far my ideas for the '30 are downright mundane compared to what you're building here. Very unique, classy paint color...what's not to like. I dig your solution to the blow-through intake arrangement, too.

I'm sort of tossing around the idea of doing a dual centrifugal-blown hemi to cram into the A, but it would require making a resin copy of the blower, as I only have 1. Also, the typical blow-through "hats" over the carbs just never seem quite right, and look better with some visual bulk to them, like your version. Maybe fake air cleaners where the pipes connect to the carbs?? Hmm...

I like the inline six idea as well. That's not bad progress at all considering all of what unexpected things that life throws at us during a week off. Believe me , I have an understanding of those "unwanted days off" concerning  what looks like a lot of time to myself that quickly turns into a list of either "honey do's" or one problem after another that just pops up. Hang in there Rob. You're doin' great man.

Unfortunately, no modeling done this weekend. I did however get this accomplished over the weekend. I replaced the fender and the headlight. Considering my auto-mechanical skills consist of maintaining the magical fluid levels that keep these machines running and righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, it was a pretty big job. I'll throw some Duplicolor and clear to keep it from rusting this fall. Still have to drop by Dodge to get the proper clips to re-install the fenderwell liner. They are unfortunately, a one time use part.

20160717_195230_zpsr03bd9r8.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Rob Mattis

Tell me what you think of my work. Criticisms, comments and sarcastic remarks :P are kindly welcome. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Hey a little wheel cleaner on those front wheels would be welcome:D       OH yeah, love the 30

Robert

Edited by Vintage Stock
no reason!!

Hey a little wheel cleaner on those front wheels would be welcome:D       OH yeah, love the 30

You aren't wrong. But it is my wife's truck and aside from checking the fluids every weekend, I don't mess with it. I keep my car pretty clean, but she is apparently uninterested in washing the truck. As long as it's mechanically sound, I don't care either.

I had that effect going on with the front wheels on my truck. It was always a pain the rear to constantly wash  or wipe the front wheels off due to all the brake lining dust from the standard pads.  A set of ceramic pads later and I never had to worry about it again. Nice body work BTW.

Thanks Tim. Rest assured that I crafted mounts for both the Paxton and alternator. No floaters round here. :lol:

Some more done today. The last of the body decals. Very simple stripe. And the exhaust is done. I realize that most folks would have done something else, but I'm quite happy with it. It looks great when the body is in place.

20160722_141915_zpskrki2lm3.jpg

20160722_142004_zpsgrco7haf.jpg

Just a heads up. Note how the instructions have you assemble the interior. I do not recommend joining the floor to the chassis when it says to, I'm very happy I didn't. When assembled the interior is VERY difficult to put in the body. I recommend only doing it once.

20160722_145408_zpsvwjvwedp.jpg

20160722_141811_zpsdsin7o4b.jpg

Next up is fabbing a new drag link. The stretched chassis made the kit pieces too short. 

Edited by Jantrix

Okay, last update before it's Under Glass. Body has been dull-coated and the interior is done. Since this is just a shelf model and it's got a chopped roof, and the insert is glued in place, I decided not to use the excellent kit supplied stick shift and steering wheel. I'll save them for a better build. I just grabbed a couple of so-so parts from he parts bin. Just a few things left to do and ready for final assembly. I plan to be done by this time next week.

Beginning work on the rear coil overs.

20160724_115156_zps47bqiqrn.jpg

Two shots of the front end. Fabbed the drag link from the original part. Since I altered the front suspension, the front shocks no longer fit so I omitted them and added some friction shocks.

20160724_134048_zps8pfplqbm.jpg

20160724_134111_zps5bzyshnj.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Rob,

I'm just loving this build!  I too think the motor choice

is a really great one. And it's built so nice.

I have a very stalled 30 coupe build that the motor

choice was what was driving me crazy. I'm glad you

picked such a good one!

Keep up the wonderful work!!

Build thirsty my friend,

David S.