Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 nova revell > barnfind > fully detailed engine bay

crazyrichard

decided to go all weathered yet again ...

i primed the body , then a layer of real matte military sand color paint , over that i did a pattern with acrylic burnt sierra and painted the whole body baby blue

then wet sanded it under the water tab ..while the paint was half way hardened .. reveiling the browns ...so i didnt do the hairpry under there and this worked great (was a try out)

8e9c232c31ae73793844a97eefb0b4c9.jpg

to tone that sanded / brown down i gave the body a mist of baby blue , very light so the sanded eara's where les hard color wise

then with a brush i made runners where the doorhandles and mirror will go
and did some general rust streaks ..

3b8c90840766c7f8bea29fca55392c1b.jpg

first base weathering .. after the car i want to make a small dio , like i did on the charger .. different theme this time .. maybe a shed / barn ??

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx guys .. first time i tried this , again just did stuff , not following any tuts ...just trying stuff out .. i like this effect myself ... still not used any powders and already its getting there ..

thinking about doing the front windsreen like its bee dusty and the wipers have wiped .. and you see the stripes from the wipers ..

just under the shower (best idea's are born under a hot shower) figured it would be cool to make the chrome slightly pitted and maybe do a grey wash over them to make them slightly toned down .. dont want to go overboard like make everything busted .. but ...plenty of idea's :)

taped the body and cuout along the window trim , painted that silver and did the panellines in black

all the browns are just a base .. when the chassis is merged with the body i will tackle that and work with some mild powders

also did the rear trunk lock silver ..

thnx .. it actually did lol haha.. started as a fresh revell kit , then got butchered by the previous owner with all painted parts ans body no sanding , no primer ...then i was the second owner and i molested the front wing ... rusted it out .. hahahaha

I swear I've seen that car in my local junkyard. I think it would be a neat idea to make it look like it's still somebody's daily driver. I'll be keeping a close eye as I planned something similar with the AMT 72 Nova that I have.

cool :) and yes .. i do want to put it on wheels .. maybe still use a more fat tyre in the back , like an old racer ...need to stay with the theme of it been worked on due to the front fender ..

now i need to do the interiour first and put the glass in and merge them , then i can try to fabricate the firewall and hinge behind the door and make it stirdy , put in the radiator / support and make in one ...already have a piece of the lower window trip broke ...a piece of 5mm is gone ..

did some simple interiour work , sanded the painted parts and on purpose used black i know wrinkles with no primer and spraying too thick at ounce .. gives a slight wrinkled seat look without being too weathered ...did the parcel shelf in cloth tape and put the kit decal folder on there .. will get some mild weathering in the interiour but not too bad..

and a new steering wheel , i hate the tock one ...:)

thnx mark !

i finished the interiour assembly , needs a mild weathering ....used this steering wheel , painted the radio chrome , knobs will be black after this , windowcracks , vents and knobs chrome , shifter knob silver .. i just used the kit version ... thing is a dryfit reveiled you dont see a whole lot of the interiour especially with the dirty windows .. i decided to make it nice but not overdo it with details and ..

dryfit , you see the haze of dirt on the windows is just right you still see the mags on the shelf

rear panel / bumper loosely in .. i want to make it look like mild pitted chrome

then the idea .. it will sit on wheels and tyres , going to use drag tyresss in the rear , normal tyres in the front .. bit like a dug out old drag nova in need of restoration . i dig the look and stance

most work will go into this making the firewall in the opening and hinges behind the door , weather the engine compartment , add wires / details , engine .. maybe also without a carb like i did on the charger .. i loved that look

gave the interiour a mild weathering you dont see a lot of the interiour .. but now its got like the been tanding for years look a bit

painted the inside of the roof and pillars black

all merged and glued together

so like the real nova its got the plastic inner fender / mud gard , radiator brrace and front cross member .. no front wing ..now i need to make the corner firewall and add more detail like the real nova ...

cros member still has the base paint of the body weathering sso that will be painted black first and then i will deside how to weather the whole engine compartment

painted it all black inclusing the ineer side of the wing ..that really made a difference :)

now i'm going to think about the next step , either mildly weather all the black .. of leave it like thiss and try to build the dio looking like they jst painted the inside of the engine bay and are building it up again ...

so i used this pic as reference , minly for the corner thats normally hidden by the front wing ... if you would go after making it exactly like the real nova .. then i should rip everything off and start from scratch ... going with the revell kit you cant really get it exact ..

so first draft , build up with plastics and covered with thin copperplate , them painted matt black .. i know it normally bodycolor but in this case i went for black , more like when people work on old cars and they weld tuff and then just spray everything black with protective coating ...

i actually made a weld in panel on the side lower part , cant get it on picture with the black color