Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 nova revell > barnfind > fully detailed engine bay

crazyrichard

Richard, the old AMT '72 Nova kit comes with separate fenders, if you could find one (The old issue had the "Old Pro" box art, the current release is the "Beverly Hills Cop" box art), the fender could be used, or you could take the cowl area from the AMT kit and put it on the Revell kit. I don't know how hard that kit is to locate in your area though....

The fenders were separate so that AMT could sell it as a Ventura or a Novacaine funny car

si i didnt do much i have a very bad cold ... brrrr but today i thought i'd try to do some small stuff

i polished the metal coat on the intake manifold and mounted the painted headers

assembled the suspension , now the underside wont be seen since this nova will become part of a diorama later .. so i didnt even bother with the red axle that was already painted red by the previous kit owner .. i did gave it  mild wash

vintage dragstyle ... used some beaten up rims out of my partsbox , the red you see will be touched up ...also put the rear in

so first weathering on the engine ...

maybe i'll do some minour small chips in the paint on the valve covers later , with slight silver showing ..

also mounted the doorhandles and the side mirror , i toned down the rut runner i pre-made there

7879df5af38fa9e288c38645f294b73b.jpg

49334f24cbb6e26127057b971a0d9b72.jpg

d6bdcecf65ec02f17e5eb77c1530a058.jpg

bec96aa9dc903edc3f14b5cd3bc68352.jpg

ee9d70fe8d2f4237a76f1a35f97d489c.jpg

ba3f41096eaa786d1eea1da219fc56e9.jpg

I have been following your build from the start and have learned a great deal about weathering and have enjoyed how you have created this build. I try not to be a rivet counter but sometimes I see something that doesn't seem right to me and I wonder. Looking at the intake manifold it looks to me as  if it may be turned around. If this is the kit manifold was it drilled like this or is it the way you chose to make it ? The reason I ask is that if it is the "factory" intake for a Quadra Jet carb the smaller primaries would be toward the front and the larger secondary passages are to the rear. This would  apply to the high performance Holly equipped intakes also, some of the Holly carb intakes had four openings depending on the horsepower rating. This may not make a difference if you put a carb on the intake.  

I have been following your build from the start and have learned a great deal about weathering and have enjoyed how you have created this build. I try not to be a rivet counter but sometimes I see something that doesn't seem right to me and I wonder. Looking at the intake manifold it looks to me as  if it may be turned around. If this is the kit manifold was it drilled like this or is it the way you chose to make it ? The reason I ask is that if it is the "factory" intake for a Quadra Jet carb the smaller primaries would be toward the front and the larger secondary passages are to the rear. This would  apply to the high performance Holly equipped intakes also, some of the Holly carb intakes had four openings depending on the horsepower rating. This may not make a difference if you put a carb on the intake.  

thnx david , well the awnser is simple , i looked at some intake manifold pictures on google and saw something like this ..but i could only find pic of loose manifolds not on a engine block .. i just did it this way .. so you could be right ... but that why its this way .. i just winged it on the engine ...

and nope a kit manfold is not that detailed this was not open and raised with a center hole for the fake looking carb ...so i closed the center hole where the kit carbs pin was supposed to go in and then flattened the surface and drilled the holes according to pics like i said above ..

its not always easy to find a picture of the exact thing you want to see .. try googeling this engine and then in a car or out but wth only the inlet manifold on showing the holes .. and then most things you find are aftermarker manifolds :)

so i did some washe and then a heavy pigment layer ..some stuff needs to be toned down more but its getting there , really makes it pop

finished the rear panel inbetween the taillights with a second mater of black , ss letters need to be made white after this , all the chrome got a threatment with a milky layer of silver chrome , out of the rattle can i always use .. so i sprayed it in a bowl and painted the watery chrome over all the kit chrome with a brush , then drybrused a tiny bit with waterbased black .. now it kind of looks like dull chrome

I think if you would take some pictures of this model in some dried grass out side some one would never know it wasn't real.

thnx :) and lol just the same comment i got minutes ago on a dutch website :)

over here in my street i dont really have a good setting to make those shots ..and although i have a resonable size garden i dont have a perfect spot to get a deep far vieuw behind the car.... maybe soon i will take it to the park together with some other models

thnx steve !

started on the details now the big stuff is together

cut the styrene hose out of the connections , made steel pins in the connections and put real rubber hose in between

some silver and mounted , needs some weathering

took the windowwiper fluid bottle from the kit and painted half blue to mimick the blue fluid inside , just a base

made a new cap that is more visible and drilled a hole for the hose

the place it sits

first rough wash with black , hose on

this is the undercarridge , i could detail this with brakelines etc .. but it will sit fixed in a dio so you cant see it when all is done

i used a battery out of my partsboxes , painted it white and the top black , red caps .

i will make real steel poles positive and negative ...

taillights in , need to dry up clear used krytal clear so its still white behind the reverse lights .. willd dry clear after a while

weathered the battery and placed it in the engine bay ... made terminals from brass wire and i will make clamps from bend copperplate and add cables later ...

the taillights dryed up clear , looks great now , maybe a small powder layer later to make them look a tad les new

The weathering is outstanding but I think leaving the wheel house on was a mistake.

When the fender is removed there are only a couple of bolts that hold it to the radiator support and so it would be hanging down and sitting on the tire not up in place all perky and tidy like that.

I am currently repainting my 1 to 1 so I have become intimately familiar with how the front sheet metal is assembled.

20150524_213808.jpg

20150524_223112.jpg

20160718_205534_1469021433171.jpg

20160718_205646_1469021432752.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

thnx guys !!

The weathering is outstanding but I think leaving the wheel house on was a mistake.

When the fender is removed there are only a couple of bolts that hold it to the radiator support and so it would be hanging down and sitting on the tire not up in place all perky and tidy like that.

I am currently repainting my 1 to 1 so I have become intimately familiar with how the front sheet metal is assembled.

awsome love your project !..

i get your point but  the chassis of the kit is hollow at the top , the part with the wheelhouse hides the top mof the chassis thats hollow .. and it just not a pretty chassis or realistic .. then i would have had to make a whole custom front chassis and make all the stuff loose .. sometimes its a fine balance between absolutly correct and like the real thing or making it look as close as possible .. the whole firewall is also not that realistic .. sides i made resembling it in a very general way ...the kit part of the firewall int great either ...and like most kits has holes for the hood hinges .. also not realistic ..

again that would mean doing it all over and basicly starting from scratch ... this build started as a alreaddy painted buy somebody  build wanted to make it resonable looking and shiney but scewed up the front wheel well when i thinned out the inside .. so that lead into this weathered build .. so point taken and understood .. just would be a totaly different build and way more scratch chassis and firewall wise .. and its also bout how much time do you want to put in .. this was just a mid size project :)

oh and just explaining not felt offended and dont mean this in a wise guy way

thnx guys !!

awsome love your project !..

i get your point but  the chassis of the kit is hollow at the top , the part with the wheelhouse hides the top mof the chassis thats hollow .. and it just not a pretty chassis or realistic .. then i would have had to make a whole custom front chassis and make all the stuff loose .. sometimes its a fine balance between absolutly correct and like the real thing or making it look as close as possible .. the whole firewall is also not that realistic .. sides i made resembling it in a very general way ...the kit part of the firewall int great either ...and like most kits has holes for the hood hinges .. also not realistic ..

again that would mean doing it all over and basicly starting from scratch ... this build started as a alreaddy painted buy somebody  build wanted to make it resonable looking and shiney but scewed up the front wheel well when i thinned out the inside .. so that lead into this weathered build .. so point taken and understood .. just would be a totaly different build and way more scratch chassis and firewall wise .. and its also bout how much time do you want to put in .. this was just a mid size project :)

oh and just explaining not felt offended and dont mean this in a wise guy way

I'm glad you weren't offended because that wasn't my intent. The build is so realistic I just wanted to give some info on how the car is put together.

Edited by Reeves Racing

I'm glad you were offended because that wasn't my intent. The build is so realistic I just wanted to give some info on how the car is put together.

ooh never :) hehehe .. jut said it because ometime when you type something it might come across differently ..  my previous reaction could have come across different whitjout me saying i dont mean it offensive :)  darn internet lol

so no worrys and i love to see ic of the real deal .. i also noticed other things that look close to the real car but not exact

and thnx joe !! after this one i will do a nother rough build i have a 66 gto from revell and just like this kit i bouht that all painted by the previous owner :)

Edited by crazyrichard