Model Cars Magazine Forum

TV cars in kits

And another Corvair-powered rarity, the "Mademoiselle L'Agente Secrete 97", basically a reboxing of the "Man from U.N.C.L.E." TV show secret agent car. I can remember watching the TV show as a kid, but I do not recall a lady secrete agent or the red car...

image.jpeg

Has anybody mentioned the Fireball 500? The Barris customized Barracuda, from the movie of the same name.

And do the Sonny and Cher Mustangs count? Their variety show didn't come out for several years after Barris built the cars. But the cars look like something Barris would have build for TV or a movie. Were they used in an early TV special starring Sonny and Cher maybe?

And how about AMT's '65 Riviera kit? From what I remember it could be built as another Barris real custom car. I believe it was called Via Riviera. And used in some "B" movie. I know Barris also did a customized '65 Buick Wildcat, that I seem to remember being in the same movie. Was the AMT '65 Wildcat setup with the customizing parts to duplicate that car too?

And of course we have Barris' greatest creatation, the TV Batmobile. But, the car the Barris Batmobile was based on. The Lincoln Futura. Also appeared on the screen with Glen Ford and Debby Reynolds, in it Started With a Kiss. Not a great movie. But, fun to see the Futura before Barris' conversion.

And one more. The MPC Thundercharger, again from a movie by the same name. And again based on a Barris custom.

Above is my earlier post where I mention the Fireball 500 and the Futura.

Fun fact:  AMT not only built the model fo the Pirahna, they built the real car as well.

When I was a kid, I was a big fan of all the Gerry Anderson puppet shows like Thunderbirds, and Stingray, and the vehicles were as much a star of the shows as the characters.  Here's a couple of kits of the vehicles from their series "Captain Scarlet"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/26/ae/bc/26aebcc55290f200b51a2343c138e152.jpghttp://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0ncAAOSwu-BWPKg7/s-l300.jpg

And how about AMT's '65 Riviera kit? From what I remember it could be built as another Barris real custom car. I believe it was called 

Via Riviera

. And used in some "B" movie.

You're close: Villa Riviera. It was used in the James Darren movie For Those Who Think Young; images from IMCDb:

i402225.jpg

barrisbuickwm3.2457.jpg

Recognize the taillights?

cap033ly0.5697.jpg

'57 Rambler front parking/signal lights, upside down:

57886961c8808_1957_Rambler_Rebel_hardtop

Edited by ChrisBcritter