Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car builders are cheapskates, right?

i paid almost $7.00 for this, but it came with w whopper and soft drink

1984 McDonalds Happy Meal Toys Pull Back Car Big Mac Ertl McDonalds ...

LOL..!  Nice Spike.

Most I have ever been able to pay for a kit was $50.oo for a sealed Ertl International Eagle semi truck kit but I made good money back then and could afford to buy it...wish it was the 4070A kit though.

This must all seem like small change to a Pocher builder  ?

As for kits, I've spent $125 for the 1/12 Revell re-box of Renwal's Ferrari 275 GTB (BAD move -- the kit is totally inaccurate junk), but I've spent multiples of that for research books and manuals.

For an old kit, $175 for an unbuilt AMT 67 Galaxie convertible.  I have dozens of old kits I paid from $50-100 for. 

For an old promo, $200 for an MPC '71 Impala convertible.  

For a resin kit, about $150 for a Modelhaus '70 Merc Colony Park wagon    

For a new kit, not sure...probably a Tamiya.

I paid $290 for a Revell 1/4 slant six kit about 3 years ago- sold it for a little over $400 a month later.

The most expensive kit I've actually built was a Doyusha 1/12 Lamborghini LP500S that I bought on sale for $65 in 1986

This must all seem like small change to a Pocher builder...

Yup! :lol:

Most I ever paid for one kit was $1,200 for a first-edition Pocher Bugatti (the version that has all the separate gears in the gearbox, later editions omitted all those pieces), opened box but complete and unstarted.

$400 each for the Tamiya 1/12 Carrera GT and Enzo. I have over $500 in a Scale Motorsport 935 super detail kit as the most expensive model related purchase.

You got lucky, they go for 3x that amount now, if they ever pop up for sale at all

$71.oo LESS 15% for the then New Trumpeter ALF Eagle Pumper

Otherwise, Less than 40.oo for any Single kit

Got a Heavy Pedal Longbox Stepside Pickup & M-K Wedge/Mini-Motor Home 2 kit deal for $45.oo

a few years ago

Oh, Are you sure you git a Whopper with Big Mac??
I would have expected a Big Mac since that is who that Police constable is!

The most I ever paid was $300 back in in 1982 for a Pocher Bugatti Type 50T. It was a bargain at the price. It had been marked down from $450 at KayBee  Toy & Hobby shop at the mall.

The next one does include after market stuff on because the aftermarket goodies for this kit cost a lot. The is the Tamiya 1/12 scale Porsche 935 ($75), that was in the early 80's. But in 2005 I bought the Scale Motorsports superkit for it which was $535.

I'll freely admit to being cheap!  Most I ever gave was $60 for a kit and it worked me hard :wacko:.  I've got about 130 in the stash so there's no pressing need.  If I ever do find a MPC 1/20 Indy Turbine Car I may just beat that!

Usually, it has to be something I really want if I go over $40,  though I did spent $150 once on an Entex Rolls Royce Balloon car.

There's nothing wrong with being cheap when it comes to hobbies.   Is modelling about show off our skill and creativity, or our ability to work a credit card?

I'm more of a poorskate. The most I've ever paid for a kit was $50-ish off eBay for something super rare, and vintage. The burn was the seller had something else from the same series I also wanted badly, but could afford only one. 

Ordered up a couple of kits from The Modelhaus right before they shut down orders, spent $105 for a Dodge pickup kit, most I ever spent on one kit.I think I spent around $85 for my original Can Do wrecker kit and about $75 when I bought the Will Do wrecker a couple of years ago. I typically shop at shows and Hobby Lobby or online and rarely spend more than $25 for a kit.