Model Cars Magazine Forum

A reasonably SERIOUS new-tool '70 Charger Revell is hiding in plain sight...

and add a vinyl top !

No, No, No! No vinyl top! :o

It wreaks havoc among those of us that want to built it without it! Sanding down the vinyl texture can be tricky for some, and I'd rather have the option to add the texture with paint, than to get rid of it. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

A vinyl top is unlikely for the very same reason you can be pretty certain we're not going to see molded-in door scoop covers: expensive changes to the body mold.

I'd love to be 100% certain that Revell will provide us those scoops separately - and I am only 5% off that - but considering Revell's not-quite-pristine track record with such things, I have to make a small allowance they might not be included at all.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
stray determiner

DOOR SCOOP CONTROVERSY!!! ?

Ok- the F&F car does not have the door scoops (which is correct for the F&F car).

It's all-but-100% confirmed that Revell has been planning another variant of this tool. 

Revell routinely offers top-option muscle variants of late '60's & early '70's subjects. 

The top option for this subject is the Charger R/T (also confirmed by the engraving on the grille).

ALL factory 1970 Charger R/T's came with bolt-on door scoops as part of the package. 

Body side tools are very expensive. 

Revell seems to research their subjects as far as optional or package parts very well (the recent '70 Hemi Cuda being a good example).

So- almost a lock that we will see separately-tooled R/T door scoops. 

If that's the case, then I applaud that decision for a few reasons: 

1) it allows a mainstream (non-R/T: base or 500 model) '70 to be built without cutting the doors out).

2) it makes the kit much more useful for track/ NASCAR builders, as most of these cars as raced on short tracks (K&K Insurance car, Bobby Allison's) did not have the door scoops.

3) now we (I) can finally see what these scoops look like on other cars, like the '70 Coronet and '71 Charger. 

All good.

I never really like the door scoop on the R/T ,but I do like the scallops on the doors ,the Charger 500 look much more cleaner ,not so cluttered. And what I know is the vinyl roof cut down cost of the price of the car a lot so many of these car had vinyl roofs.

and I am hoping Revell gets the rear tail light panel correct !

Edited by Mr mopar

Well, much of the engine is on its own tree and hey - maybe the transmission halves are integrated with the block now 'cause there's a 440/TF combo on the way.

Ben and Joe, I think you've hit upon us the second most likely successor to this version - second only because the wedge would require another tree instead of just carrying the Hemi over.

I went ahead and picked one of these up.

I have to say ...im impressed with the overall body proportions. Glad to see the door scallops get subdued down some( the scallops on the 68-69 body were much to pronounced ) The grille is nice. Interior details look good. 

Im for one glad to see the body done without the door scoops

It's funny but most of the Revell Charger kits don't have a Hemi in them. 67 Charger has race and stock Hemi, 68 Charger has race Hemi in Landy kit and race Hemi and 440 4v in 2 in 1 kit. 69 Charger and 69 Daytona pro modeler kits have race Hemi and 440 4v but stock version only had 440 4v. AMTs real nice 71 Charger is 440 auto. I believe all the MPC Chargers are Hemi. I personally would like to see a 440 Six Pack in this one.

It's funny but most of the Revell Charger kits don't have a Hemi in them. 67 Charger has race and stock Hemi, 68 Charger has race Hemi in Landy kit and race Hemi and 440 4v in 2 in 1 kit. 69 Charger and 69 Daytona pro modeler kits have race Hemi and 440 4v but stock version only had 440 4v. AMTs real nice 71 Charger is 440 auto. I believe all the MPC Chargers are Hemi. I personally would like to see a 440 Six Pack in this one.

The 1968,1969 and 1970 MPC CHargers are hemi, In 1971 MPC put the 440 in the Charger.

Okay guys, I couldn't stand not trying. I went to the spare parts box and kit bashing to see if I could get the Revell F & F '70 Charger close to stock. Some parts from a Revell Charger Daytona kit in my stash, and CapSat 6 is right, a little bending and sanding and the Daytona hood fits real nice. 57e086911e142_70_Charger_stock_parts.thu  

Edited by magicmustang

Okay guys, I couldn't stand not trying. I went to the spare parts box and kit bashing to see if I could get the Revell F & F '70 Charger close to stock. Some parts from a Revell Charger Daytona kit in my stash, and CapSat 6 is right, a little bending and sanding and the Daytona hood fits real nice. See pic.57e086911e142_70_Charger_stock_parts.thu  

Nice! Looks like a stock kit right there...

I tried something else out the other night. With some adjusting, the Round 2 Dukes hood might work, too. This hood is actually incorrect for '69 Non-Daytona Chargers, (the hood vents are Daytona/ '70 only) but they can probably be found in almost any swap meet junk box. It would take more cutting (on the front lip) and some filling (the sides), but it could work if it's all you have. 

I'm probably going to go the Round 2 hood route, because it's all I have that is extra. Also, my build is still going to be modified, mine will likely be getting a Six Pack scoop...

image.jpg

image.jpg

and add a vinyl top !

Much easier for those of us who want a vinyl top to do it with a little styrene strip, and a wide soft brush dipped in liquid glue and touched to the plastic, than it is for those who don't want one to remove the molded in one.  The wide brush and liquid cement method is how I repaired the top of my '68 El Camino after fixing the sink spots, just sanded down the rest of the top to almost perfectly smooth then took a wide (3/4") soft brush and dipped it in liquid cement (evergreen styrene, white label) and just flowed it onto the roof without brushing it at all. After it dried overnight the surface was very close to the original vinyl casting from AMT.

Edited by horsepower

Is that Dukes hood the same as the R2 Fast and Furious '70 Charger kit that's so baaaaad? (That's about the only part that even looks close to a '70 Charger and it has that horrible ghosting from the scoring for a hood cut out.)

That would be the one. The AMT F&F cars came with two hoods: the one pictured, and the same hood with a big rectangular hole in it. These kits at least came with a bunch of extra parts- and you could still build an almost- '69 from the box...

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say the American 200-S wheels are very, very nicely done. A little bit more "pinch" at the outer end of each spoke would make them near perfect, but considering the previously available 40+ year old options found in various and assorted kits, it's a gift to have all four available in one kit. The rear wheels drop right into the Rat Roaster (maybe used on the '29/'30 Ford Roadster/Coupe kits, too?) rear tires without issue, too.

• 4 years later...

SO, now that publication has been over and done with for a while, and I’ve been reminded of some older discussion threads, a half-decade postscript for this one:

As I’ve mentioned before, I do a number of reviews from kits at personal expense.  Every so often, and not so long ago, my favorite pusher would get early Revell releases as an RPP partner – once in a blue moon, early enough I’d find myself in a position to give everyone else here a decent preview ahead of time.  I can think of two occasions, this thread and one other. And I gotta say, there wasn’t a lot of controversy in either, not near so much as some long-timers here might fairly expect.

But in that other one, there WAS this gratuitous, kinda chickenscat drive-by business about “East Coast gets it done” ‘cause someone hammered that subject together in a week.  Strongly implying, y'know, the West... doesn't?

Now WHAT does the OP's coastal address have to do with anything? Was that thread just going on a little too peacefully, too much civility and all? 

Might it have been in service to this pathetic little fever dream about people critiquing model kits only ‘cause they can’t build ‘em, much less correct ‘em? 

spacer.png

Yeeeeeaaaaah…

spacer.png

ABOUT THAT...

spacer.png

These have kinda followed the proverbial long arc from print to buttoning up this thread, now.

spacer.png

Didn't start that geographic bs, but I'm gonna FINISH it by letting "The West" speak for itself. 😎