Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 AMX Big Bad Green

Sport Suburban

Here is another one I finished this year. This was a long term project that I had to do a lot of trading and swapping to get this one done. I started with the more common 69 Shirley Downey race car and realized that I could not use most of the parts. So I collected the correct 69 interior tub, stock steering wheel, traded for the stock chassis with exhaust molded in. Then dig out stock wheels and tires and find the stock engine parts. I got a resin hood from Missing link. Once I had all the parts I realized I only used the body, bumpers, glass and a few chassis parts and engine parts from. Chrome was not that good but for this build it was fine. Modified the bumpers and added the chrome molding to the front bumper and the front spoiler is from a Revell 69 Camaro sanded smooth. Not really a stock part but was on my reference car. I decided to leave it on. Rear bumper guards are built from styrene rod. Decals are from Keith Marks and the outside mirror is from the Revell 68 Firebird kit.

Every time I see one of these, I can't help but think of the 1:1 I had years ago. 390 4 spd, 3:54 rear end, and absolutely no power options. No power steering or brakes, drums on all fours, and believe it or not----vacuum wipers! Just a VERY basic go-fast car! Of all the cars I've ever owned the AMX was my favorite, with my Challenger coming in a very close second.

Raoul, you beat me to it! Actually this was the next car I was planning on doing after I finish the BMW, but the Shelby's winning out because I want something very different to take to GSL hopefully in '19. I've got all the bits and pieces, and in fact, I've got THREE of these AMX kits and for whatever reason, it's taken till now to want to build any of 'em.

Absolutely GORGEOUS build you did, and painted in my favorite Big Bad Green as well! I wish my 1:1 one was this color----it was a very bright yellow, and would have made a nice choice had AMC decided to add it to their color palette. 

Of course, I've saved all of your pics as I've got to add this to my AMX pic collection it's so nice! :wub:

Edited by MrObsessive

This is a subject matter that somebody should bring a full detail kit out of. Would love to have one to build myself.

Yours looks amazing. Love the color. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

And you can betcha right at the time I begin to dig into mine.............WHAM! Someone will come out with a modern kit! :huh: 

And you can betcha right at the time I begin to dig into mine.............WHAM! Someone will come out with a modern kit! :huh: 

I expect that to happen to me also! I have one more early stock only kit to build as a 68 AMX. And I have two resin 70 AMX's from Missing Link. One is in progress now in Big Bad Blue with Shadow Mask.

I finished most of the rest of the Javelin's only having the 68 and the 74 left to build.

"Here is another one I finished this year. This was a long term project that I had to do a lot of trading and swapping to get this one done. I started with the more common 69 Shirley Downey race car and realized that I could not use most of the parts."

I think you are getting two important ladies names in drag racing kind of mixed together here. The AMX was Shirley Shahan "The Drag-On-Lady" and of course Shirley Muldowney. Your car turned out excellent regardless.

Edited by THarrison351
had to