Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Edsel Wagon

Mr. Metallic

This is based on the Jimmy Flintstone conversion. It required minimal cleanup, and required very little modification to the Revell 57 Ford kit parts to fit. Even the kit glass nearly snapped into place, just like on the Revell kit. Probably one of Flintstones best castings ever.

43:493692463734

07:493692487290

To begin the conversion I shaved a little off the front gravel pan and rear floor. I was even able to keep the locator pins on the gravel pan and drill new locating holes in the body. I trimmed the AMT Edsel firewall slightly to fit, and then cut the top half of the 57 firewall off. It fit behind the Edsel firewall quite nicely. Otherwise, I used the Edsel radiator support and radiator without modification. The rest of the frame/chassis is all Revell 57. I did lower the suspension all around. Up front I simply drilled holes for the attachment pins higher on the part, and in the rear added lowering blocks to the top of the springs.

39:493692459736

The interior conversion was pretty straightforward too. I didn't want to get bogged down in converting the side panels to the Edsel configuration, but I did use the Edsel seats. The rear seat was modified slightly to accept the rear panel from the Revell seat since it would be exposed to the open by the rear cargo area. To fit the Edsel dash I first installed the 57 dash. I added a brace across the front of the interior to maintain the correct width and add strength. I then removed the 57 dash. I added a couple pieces of Evergreen strip horizontally on the sides of the Edsel dash so it would simply sit in the existing notches in the Revell interior sides. I made sure the dash was far enough forward that it didn't interfere with the windshield, since that is the only issue I had with assembling the 57 Wagon I built previously. I paint detailed the dash and added epoxy lenses.

24:493692504599

10:493692490464

For the engine I used the revel 57 block and added the key bits from the Edsel being the valve covers and air cleaner. I added vinyl tubing for heater hoses and a Rep+Min of Md distributor.

34:493692454716

00:493692480626

The body is mostly stock. I removed the sideview mirror and hood ornament. I slightly tunneled the headlights by removing their mounting tabs. I scratchbuilt the board rack from square brass and simply drilled shallow holes into the roof to accept it. I tied down the board with sewing thread. The color is Testors OneCoat Graphite Dust. Wheels and tires are Pegasus Sovereigns.

47:493692467008

50:493692470692

This was definitely the best conversion body I've gotten from Flintstone. Whoever mastered the body did a really nice job, and Jimmy did a good job of keeping the parts thin and straight. My only caveat is make sure you get all the mold release off. I have had particular trouble on my last few builds of Flintstone bodies of removing whatever he uses for a release. A simple soaking in Westleys does not cut it. I tried wiping it down with alcohol as well. I had paint adhesion issues all over this thing, and unfortunately one reared its ugly head while I was applying the bare metal foil. I trimmed off the excess and it pulled a big chunk of paint with it. Final assembly was complete, and I wasn’t about to disassemble the whole thing, so I just touched up the missing paint. Far from perfect, but shelf worthy.

Thanks for looking

Your Edsel is a very nice build. The motor is almost totally incorrect for an Edsel. Only your valve covers and air cleaner are correct for 1958. Lack of a distributor up front is the big give away. The rest of the motor is a Y-block which wouldn't be offered until 1959 as the base V-8 motor. In 1958 the base V-8 motor was the E-400 (400 Ft lbs Torque) 361 Cubic Inch FE (Ford Edsel) big block. The E-475 (475 Ft lbs Torque) was the top of the line V-8 and it was a 410 Cubic Inch MEL (Mercury Edsel Lincoln) big block.

Your Edsel is a very nice build. The motor is almost totally incorrect for an Edsel. Only your valve covers and air cleaner are correct for 1958. Lack of a distributor up front is the big give away. The rest of the motor is a Y-block which wouldn't be offered until 1959 as the base V-8 motor. In 1958 the base V-8 motor was the E-400 (400 Ft lbs Torque) 361 Cubic Inch FE (Ford Edsel) big block. The E-475 (475 Ft lbs Torque) was the top of the line V-8 and it was a 410 Cubic Inch MEL (Mercury Edsel Lincoln) big block.

Never claimed the engine was an Edsel. Just made to look like one. It's not even close to replica stock, so I have no worries

One shooting for a full stock build will have to get a FE engine and make it to look like the Edsel V8. It's a pity the engine on AMT's '58 Edsel is so small, and out of scale. It would be a perfect choice. I would use the AMT '58 Edsel air cleaner, valve covers, and a FE V8 from a Revell Mustang kit. Scratchbuilding the door panels and sides would also be a must. In general, too much work for my lazy ass, that's why I avoid resin conversions myself. 

50:493692470692

This was definitely the best conversion body I've gotten from Flintstone. Whoever mastered the body did a really nice job, and Jimmy did a good job of keeping the parts thin and straight. My only caveat is make sure you get all the mold release off. I have had particular trouble on my last few builds of Flintstone bodies of removing whatever he uses for a release. A simple soaking in Westleys does not cut it. I tried wiping it down with alcohol as well. I had paint adhesion issues all over this thing, and unfortunately one reared its ugly head while I was applying the bare metal foil. I trimmed off the excess and it pulled a big chunk of paint with it. Final assembly was complete, and I wasn’t about to disassemble the whole thing, so I just touched up the missing paint. Far from perfect, but shelf worthy.

Thanks for looking

Where did you get the surfboard?