Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 68 El Camino

Dave

I cringe though when I see a newer car (2000's and up) with a vinyl roof! Obviously the car didn't come that way as I haven't seen that option for years. It's a "day two" add on that more than likely is driven by an older person (not making fun, just an observance), and they may think that "dresses up" the car when it just looks like a major afterthought to me.

In the mid '90 I past by a Cadillac dealership in Palm Springs, and liked the Eldo's with vinyl top he had on the lot.

Wouldn't mind having this one, to drive across the US.....

cadillac-eldorado-%5B13616%5D.jpg

• 1 month later...

Those white tops were for visibility, makes it a little easier to spot a dark blue car ripping along a black runway at pretty high speeds and through a tiny cockpit window.

And the boys at Beale were very proud of all their equipment and since they had the time it was always kept up to the highest standards of good looks, finding one that wasn't spotless and up to the best shine possible was grounds for spending time doing a lot of cleaning on things you really wouldn't want to clean if you had your choice.

Any chance you have any photos other than the ones posted..  I am doing a frame off restoration of a 68 with big block and wanted to replicate the u2 chase car theme.  I have only seen the one picture and even lockheed public affirs folks don't have any pics of the u8 el camino.  I was stationed at lean ab and saw them all the time but back then you didn't take a camera on the flight line.  Thanks I advance

Any chance you have any photos other than the ones posted..  I am doing a frame off restoration of a 68 with big block and wanted to replicate the u2 chase car theme.  I have only seen the one picture and even lockheed public affirs folks don't have any pics of the u8 el camino.  I was stationed at lean ab and saw them all the time but back then you didn't take a camera on the flight line.  Thanks I advance

No, didn't get any pictures, I just managed to see a couple while I was "visiting" at the base.

There is one thing I'm a little bit unhappy with in this kit. The main part of kit molded in white plastic. That is good. But, the soap box car and its stand are molded in black plastic. Why? I know it came from a different mold that the main body of the kit. That still does explain why it's molded in black? Still, I am happy to see the soap box derby car back. Tamiya primer should take care of the black plastic.

Scott

The only other pic I've seen, besides the one I posted, is a B&W in the Squadron/Signal book U-2 In Action. IIRC, it's from fairly close, pretty much just the front fender and door area of the left side. I might have scanned it on my home computer--I'll try to remember to look for it tonight.

Thament, try googling articles about the Mustangs, that replaced the Elcos as chase cars. I've seen photos, in the Mustang stories of the El Caminos, they replaced.

Not Great pics, but there.  Sadly for us modelers, the U-2/TR-1 program was (and still is) very secretive, so photographs are very hard to come by. If you are planning to do up a 1-1 scale El Camino as a U-2 Chase car, I'd also write the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson, and contact the base historian at Beale AFB. The might help you.

There is one thing I'm a little bit unhappy with in this kit. The main part of kit molded in white plastic. That is good. But, the soap box car and its stand are molded in black plastic. Why?

Tradition? They're going to offer it as a stand-alone parts pack item? The kit was molded in white and black originally, so maybe Round2 is just being consistent.

Found the same pic as everyone has seen, but found some more recent ideas for the chase car, pretty much all of which can be built easily. 

mus_zpsaa7ab21b.jpg

Scott:  Casey nailed it.  I was told by John G. that they molded the soap box derby car in black, because that's how it was molded in the original kit.  

Echo/N.J.:  I'm told that the print file for the decal sheet has already been updated with the 396 air cleaner decals, so that the next time the kit is run down the production line, the decal will be included.  

I believe the latter point, and possibly the first one as well, are mentioned in my on-line preview of the kit....  TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

Tradition? They're going to offer it as a stand-alone parts pack item? The kit was molded in white and black originally, so maybe Round2 is just being consistent.

AMTSBDC5.jpg

I didn't know the original came that way too. I guess that might be okay for nostalgic reasons. But, I'm still not a big fan of it. Even if I now understand it. Its not a big problem. Just time get out the Tamiya primer.

Scott

Charlie, I presume you are referring to the sink marks in the original (c.1998) release of the kit....

Check out my online review of this new kit which includes photos of the original kit issue with the sink marks on both the left and right c-pillars. compared to the new Derby Cars release where thje sink marks are NOT there, thank goodness!  

The sink marks on the original kit release can be seen on the C-pillars of the partially painted body on images #18-21.  That body had the sink marks filled with Eurosoft Body Filler, which is a pale pink, so you can see the fixed areas in a very pale pink color - you have to look closely at the full picture -  you won;t see it in the thumbnails  

Hope that helps....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Tim,

Once again, thanks for the great extensive review. I never had this kit and I'm surprised that it includes all of the details that it does, hadn't it been for your review I'd still be under the impression that the kit was nothing more than a spinoff of the Chevell  kits of the era ! 

The separate chassis and build up interior are a pleasant surprise and will surely be appreciated by first time buyers/builders like myself !

Thanks again,

The US Air Force used some SS396 El Caminos in support of the U-2 program at Beale AFT (IIRC). I've collected a couple poor photos of them but can't really tell if they're '68s or '69s. I'm gonna do a model of one of them someday using this kit. One thing I've never been able to determine is if they were in "off the rack" dark metallic blue, or were painted the standard USAF "fleet" blue like the sedans, pickups, buses, etc of the day.

About 1981 while I was in High School an older Classmate had a beautiful 68/69 El Camino that he had painted a nice dark blue metallic, with Crager 5 spoke S/S  wheels, truly a nice car. After Graduation He inlisted in the Army, and while at basic training His father sold the car. Needless to say Bob was not a Happy Guy when He got back in to town.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a pretty good kit, definitely better than the Promo. The body to chassis assembly is nerve wracking. I might suggest leaving the accessories off of the drive until after and leaving the motor loose.  The brake booster and master cylinder also. That's where the interference was. Yes, I'll get to the side mirrors.

DSCF4079.JPG

DSCF4081.JPG

Edited by samdiego