Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild kitbash/under two week project - Revell '30A Five Window....

tim boyd

...spent less than two weeks start to finish on this project, which of course is headed for the "Three and Five Window Coupes" Cult Theme at the NNL Nats this weekend.

- Roof opening enlarged to original factory dimensions, with simulated (i.e., simplified vs. 1/1 scale) wood roof slats...

- Factory stock style firewall just introduced by Norm Veber/Replicas and Miniatures ...

- Flathead Ford V8 from the Revell '32 Ford Tudor kit of a few years back ....I realize the C4 auto tranny is NOT pure traditional hot rod fare, but this engine/tranny combo swaps into the Revell '30A Highboy frame without modifications (using the flathead engine mount crossmember from the Revell Tudor kit...)

- Halibrand Quick Change out back using the Replicas and Miniatures Halibrand Quick Change resin offering combined with the outer legs of the Revell '30A kit rear axle (again, retaining the coil overs with a QC is not pure traditional hot rod fare, but the work involved in doing a Model A Spring and rear crossmember would have taken the project well beyond the "mild kitbash" design brief and two-week build window).

- Paint is Testors Model Masters Lacquer 1968 Ford Thunderbird Light Diamond Green with a Tamiya flat clear overlay of the paint and the scallop decals from the Revell '30A kit. Powertrain, and interior colors, are also Tamiya "TS" paints.

- Stock kit wheels and tires, with '41 Ford hubcaps added (from the stock version of the AMT-Ertl '41 Ford Woody) - another drop-in without mods.

- Painted headlight buckets (vs. fully chromed in the kit)...

I think that captures most of the info. Additional pictures at the link including engine/interior/rear end shots.....

DSC 1106

DSC 1107

DSC 1108

Thanks for looking....can't wait to see what you guys who are attending the NNL Nats have come up with for the Cult Theme....should be a rockin' time.....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Looks good Tim, I just got my copy in the mail with a few other kits..

No Toledo for me this year, no budget due to a lousy bookkeeper.

But reminisced about it today, because earlier today when I pulled my winter coat out of the closet, I found a receipt for the plane ticket I used last year, sigh...

Edited by Luc Janssens

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. Very much appreciated....

Luc....sorry we missed you today. 

And on a related note,the Three and Five Window Coupes NNL Nats Cult Theme was a great success.  Images and Builder Names to be posted, probably tomorrow, in the "Contests and Shows' section of this forum.  Don't miss it!   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I enjoyed seeing this one today, as always another well executed model from your workshop.

Thanks Andy and Hector, and the rest of you.  Glad to know this captured your attention.   This kit can support so many different kitbashing ideas....hopefully I've inspired a few ideas for you to build on.....will be watching to see what all of you do with it......Best Regards...TIM